No Alpha

Oneil never coached Harris he left in 1997. Harris was 1998 to 2001. At one time Oneil's teams just had 8 scholarship players. That and the Houston/Buzz Peterson era were terrible, It can get worse and/or really bad just saying. some of the most unwatchable bball ever in my lifetime.[
I’ve seen it all. I was there in Wade Houston’s 5-24 season, and it was just unbelievably bad. I was in school when Ernie and Bernie played and that was electric. I’m frustrated and concerned, but no where near ready to make the constant loud proclamations that the vocal minority make. I don’t mind others’ opinions, but the obsessive comments and negativity over and over again is exhausting. Make your point once or twice and let it go. It truly baffles me that some of these fans are supposed to be big fans, but criticize and complain with every post, every game, every year. If I was that unhappy with something that I loved, I would find something else to love. I also understand there are those that don’t feel fulfilled inside unless they are causing chaos around them. Sad.

I really hope not because without Barnes our recruiting will fall back to what it was. Although his teams may not always reach the level we hope for Barnes is getting us 5 star talent.

Our recruiting may start taking a step back regardless.

Perception is reality when it comes to recruiting and what has Barnes done with his 5 stars? JJJ isn't sniffing the NBA, Keon and Springer both went later in the draft than preseason projections, and now KC's stock is slipping and BHH doesn't even play. Going to be hard for Barnes to argue that on the recruiting trail unless things turn around in a major way.

Fulkerson is actually the biggest disappointment for me. He is an upperclassman that's been is the system for 5 years. He should be the leader of this team as well as providing a post presence every night. Instead he gives us 3 points and 5 rebound efforts.
I don't understand how fulkerson can be in a D1 program for as long as he has been and still be as weak as he is. I know he's had bad luck with injuries, covid and all, but has he lifted a weight in the last 5 years?

Did y’all play ball? Who lead your team? Was it freshman or upperclassmen?

Why you think Fulkerson gets called out. Barnes challenges the team leaders.

Everyone saying Barnes hasn’t had a good team since Grant and Admiral. Tell me…we’re they freshman or upperclassmen?

Team is culture. It’s early January and we are seeing signs that we may go the way of last years team (talented newcomers who are too timid and shy on the court).

But…maybe that changes.

Duke lost to Miami last night. Alabama lost to Missouri.

Basketball is about figuring it out as the scouting reports hone in on you.

James and Vescovi and Ziegler are the only players who don’t let missed shots impact their energy and confidence to take the next one.

I consider those 3 our most consistent from an energy perspective.

That said, James will brick 3s all day until he hits a clutch one towards the end of the game. But he’s our best defender.

Ziegler will airball a wide open look. But he gets where he wants to on the court when he wants to.

Let these kids grow into the season. I personally love that our SEC schedule is front loaded so that we can feel some sort of momentum and confidence towards the end of the season versus starting soft and then hitting the grind.

Basketball ain’t football. Let’s see how these kids respond.

If the season ended today, Vescovi would possibly be 1st or 2nd team All-SEC.

Some have wanted him benched for 2 years.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I’ve seen it all. I was there in Wade Houston’s 5-24 season, and it was just unbelievably bad. I was in school when Ernie and Bernie played and that was electric. I’m frustrated and concerned, but no where near ready to make the constant loud proclamations that the vocal minority make. I don’t mind others’ opinions, but the obsessive comments and negativity over and over again is exhausting. Make your point once or twice and let it go. It truly baffles me that some of these fans are supposed to be big fans, but criticize and complain with every post, every game, every year. If I was that unhappy with something that I loved, I would find something else to love. I also understand there are those that don’t feel fulfilled inside unless they are causing chaos around them. Sad.

5-22 in 1993-94, but also 3-9 and 4-12 to close out 1992-93 with the 40-101 finale. 1993-94 should have never have happened but it would have been tacky to run Wade as soon as Allan had finished his 4 years.

It would be awesome if some weren’t obsessed with making their same ignorant, negative points more than a couple of times. At least per day or per thread. They are sad, miserable little trolls.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I don't know why this should be such a secret to Tennessee fans, but Barnes takes alpha-players and coaches them to become team players... and takes beta-players and coaches them to play assertively. But each ONLY after they know what-the-heck they're supposed to be doing on both ends of the court.

Of course, maybe the reason it remains such a secret to some fans is because Barnes is successful achieving his goal with both types of individuals, so that (once they get it together) they play together like a team.

But there is a learning curve. We saw that in Schofield's and Williams' careers. I think JJJ actually had a breakout game against LSU, despite the poor accuracy. He finally took the open shots Barnes has been wanting him to take all along. Barnes has also mentioned that Powell has been turning down shots he wants him to take.

In sitting players, what Barnes is taking away is their confidence in doing the wrong thing. That's necessary before you can replace one behavior with a better behavior, as anyone with military experience, good coaching, or success raising a child knows.

Reactions: Lurker

VN Store

Back