No. 1 UT Begins SEC Tourney Play Friday

I so hate conference tournaments--they are a total waste of time; nothing but a cheap money-grab by all the conferences that have tourneys--men and women. I suppose that one could argue that you need a tourney to clearly decide the champion, in case of a regular-season tie, but 16 conference games should be enough to find a champion. They've all lost their luster over the years: the better conference teams have little to play for, generally--and so what is the point, besides making money?

I so hate conference tournaments--they are a total waste of time; nothing but a cheap money-grab by all the conferences that have tourneys--men and women. I suppose that one could argue that you need a tourney to clearly decide the champion, in case of a regular-season tie, but 16 conference games should be enough to find a champion. They've all lost their luster over the years: the better conference teams have little to play for, generally--and so what is the point, besides making money?

People make this same argument every year. March madness is for the fans Paid for by the fans. These are exciting times. Second only to bowl season in football.

Mississippi is not playing in the tournament this year. Whether that is a sanction imposed for the recruiting violations that lost them most of their staff and several players or is simply an economic decision, I'm not sure.
I lean toward the sanction premise because I don't see the SEC simply letting member teams opt out of the post-season tournament simply because they've done so poorly during the season.

Jim

Mississippi is not playing in the tournament this year. Whether that is a sanction imposed for the recruiting violations that lost them most of their staff and several players or is simply an economic decision, I'm not sure.
I lean toward the sanction premise because I don't see the SEC simply letting member teams opt out of the post-season tournament simply because they've done so poorly during the season.

Jim

You are correct. It was a self-imposed saction to not participate in the post season.

I for one, love the tourneys. I go to the women's SEC tourney every year. Getting ready for a busy weekend. Two former Lady Vols and one of their closest friends will be staying at my house during the tourney. We always have a good time. One is my sister-in-law and the other is like a sister to me. I look forward to seeing a lot of people that I've become acquainted with over the years at the different sites. You run into them year after year. I'm ready for some hoops. GO LADY VOLS!!

Reactions: 1 person
I for one, love the tourneys. I go to the women's SEC tourney every year. Getting ready for a busy weekend. Two former Lady Vols and one of their closest friends will be staying at my house during the tourney. We always have a good time. One is my sister-in-law and the other is like a sister to me. I look forward to seeing a lot of people that I've become acquainted with over the years at the different sites. You run into them year after year. I'm ready for some hoops. GO LADY VOLS!!

that does sound awesome & good luck to our own LVs. :thumbsup:

VN Store

Back