NIL Question

99gator

Congressman
Just wanted to get thoughts from people on the board.

It seems like this whole NIL thing may make (at least initially) things even more lopsided for teams in the South/SEC.

I am looking at recruiting and I see Oregon, USC, Notre Dame, and Ohio State in the mix. To clarify, I'm not looking at current recruiting rankings, I'm looking at where all the undecideds are considering going. Besides those 4, all of the other schools are in the South. I don't even see Michigan or Penn State in the mix for too many of these guys.

I know the south has dominated recruiting for a while, but it seems even more lopsided with NIL.

Are there any northern schools on top of this NIL deal?

I don't know a whole lot I did see where day at Ohio state was asking boosters for 13 mil just for the students already on roster so you got to think they are behind. Especially knowing spyre sports had an initial goal of 25 mil.

Reactions: OneVolNation
As a southern born and rasied guy living in the middle of B1G country, I can attest to the fact that football is not nearly regarded on the same level here as it si in the South.

Even for schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Notre Dame is probably the only football program I would put on the same plane with the schoold in the South in terms of fanbase and interest. However, due in large part to their ties to the Catholic Church and high academic standards, I don't see Notre Dame dipping too far into NIL agreements.

It says a lot when the head coach of the last team in this geographic area to win a National Title has to come out and say we need 13 mill just to keep the current roster intact.

As a southern born and rasied guy living in the middle of B1G country, I can attest to the fact that football is not nearly regarded on the same level here as it si in the South.

Even for schools like Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Notre Dame is probably the only football program I would put on the same plane with the schoold in the South in terms of fanbase and interest. However, due in large part to their ties to the Catholic Church and high academic standards, I don't see Notre Dame dipping too far into NIL agreements.

It says a lot when the head coach of the last team in this geographic area to win a National Title has to come out and say we need 13 mill just to keep the current roster intact.

Well, the thought I had was.....going off of the stereotypes and bias that exist, is that NIL was a way for these folks to get back in the game.

Surely, schools with the prestige of most of those in the Big 10 or a Syracuse, have alumni who have successful businesses and cash to round up NIL money and compete.

As an example, it's no shock that several schools from the old SWC who did this for a living when it was illegal, are getting in the game now that it's accepted practice.

I've been waiting for some funny marketing campaign from SMU about getting the band back together again. Kind of like the movie "Red"

SMU actually did have players under contract back in the day. When they wanted to lay low, they couldn't out of fear they would get sued for breach of contract.

Reactions: OneVolNation
SMU actually did have players under contract back in the day. When they wanted to lay low, they couldn't out of fear they would get sued for breach of contract.

You kind of made it sound like it was just after pulling the Lufthansa heist. :D

giphy.gif

Reactions: kcvols1
Well, the thought I had was.....going off of the stereotypes and bias that exist, is that NIL was a way for these folks to get back in the game.

Surely, schools with the prestige of most of those in the Big 10 or a Syracuse, have alumni who have successful businesses and cash to round up NIL money and compete.

As an example, it's no shock that several schools from the old SWC who did this for a living when it was illegal, are getting in the game now that it's accepted practice.

I've been waiting for some funny marketing campaign from SMU about getting the band back together again. Kind of like the movie "Red"

Just a guess/estimate but the words "it just means more" come to mind. So all these schools have alumni with money some more some less. The rich and poor support their teams, It's just the poor in the South will somehow make it to a game, and the rich alumni in the South give their donations just like the rest of the country but they earmark continuous Big money for the sports teams they and their parents just bled for weekly. I've talked to people that believe it is a total waste of big money donations but it has become a life-long legacy for most of the Southern teams/families.

Well I would say the top NIL Schools from what I see are

1 Texas AM
2 Texas
3 USC
4 Tennessee

AGREED - now correlate that to "old school" fan base / support and those are likely in the top 5 to 10 as well.
Strengthening points already made in this thread about passionate donors and fanbases.

It seems like this whole NIL thing may make (at least initially) things even more lopsided for teams in the South/SEC.

I am looking at recruiting and I see Oregon, USC, Notre Dame, and Ohio State in the mix. To clarify, I'm not looking at current recruiting rankings, I'm looking at where all the undecideds are considering going. Besides those 4, all of the other schools are in the South. I don't even see Michigan or Penn State in the mix for too many of these guys.

I know the south has dominated recruiting for a while, but it seems even more lopsided with NIL.

I would be greatly surprised if Michigan and Penn State aren't scrambling to put it together.

I think then you have to look at fanbases. It might seem crazy right now but the people of Nebraska are still nuts over Big Red. A group similar to Spyre would flourish there. Wisconsin will do it differently because... well... they're different... but I don't expect them to accept being non-competitive.

Northwestern has all the money in the world as do Purdue, IU, and Illinois. Will their fanbases pony up but maybe not for football particularly.

The U of Washington alumni have a lot of money too and some memory of being a relevant program.

UCLA will try to compete with USC.

Utah and BYU will be interesting to watch. They LOVE football and SLC is much more significant than many realize.

To answer your question, it will come down to "want to". There are a lot of schools with large alumni bases who can do it if they choose to and someone takes a lead to organize it.

Just speculation but Michigan and Penn St fans tend to be older men. There are a ton of 65+ year old men at Michigan games. I would have to wonder if they wouldn't be slower to adapt to change of the NIL system.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Northwestern has all the money in the world as do Purdue, IU, and Illinois. Will their fanbases pony up but maybe not for football particularly.

Mark Cuban and IU just announced this week some type of NIL through a clothing company he owns, or something like that.
I can see IU thriving with the NIL in basketball for sure...none of their boosters / donors seem to give two shakes about football unless they have one of those 'once in a generation, anomaly seasons' like two years ago when the only team they lost to was Oh St...last one of those was in the nineties when Antwan Randle El was the QB and before that was early 80s when LEE CORSO was the coach...hahaha

To quote anyone from Texas:

“God, Football, Family and depending on the time of year the first two can change”

In the south football is king and it always will be.

I think it will at first. Most rabid fans, most likely to jump out and grab whatever chance we get. The other schools will come around after a couple years. I think we are in the madhouse part of the situation, but things will settle out after reaching some peak.

I am in the boat that in 5-10 years from now you wont see 8 million dollar deals for QBs. Maybe a million, and the rest being relative to that. And that current players will see bigger cuts. Keeping an All American will be worth more than an unproven freshman. And with the transfer market getting good players wont be as hard as keeping them.

You may have already done this, but I would factor in where these recruits live. I think that has a lot to do with it, also. It may be a down year for talent out west or in the Midwest. Even though the SEC has the jump on it, it won't be long before the other programs come around. I have a feeling that Oregon and USC will rise quickly.

It’s simple: to people outside the southeast, football = NFL. For the southerners, the NFL is no more than a “where are they now” show for college ball. Penn State has to compete with the Steelers. Who does Alabama have to compete with?

I would be greatly surprised if Michigan and Penn State aren't scrambling to put it together.

I think then you have to look at fanbases. It might seem crazy right now but the people of Nebraska are still nuts over Big Red. A group similar to Spyre would flourish there. Wisconsin will do it differently because... well... they're different... but I don't expect them to accept being non-competitive.

The U of Washington alumni have a lot of money too and some memory of being a relevant program.

UCLA will try to compete with USC.

Utah and BYU will be interesting to watch. They LOVE football and SLC is much more significant than many realize.

To answer your question, it will come down to "want to". There are a lot of schools with large alumni bases who can do it if they choose to and someone takes a lead to organize it.
Nebraska is like Tennessee aside from a crucial difference. Nebraska is much more sparsely populated. The commitment and passion is there from that fanbase, but I don’t know that there is a broad enough base to build something on the scale of Spyre. People in Illinois care about the Bears if they care for football at all; it would take Red Grange himself rising from the dead to spur the kind of interest the Illini would need to make waves. Northwestern is the Vanderbilt of the Big 10; their alumni likely care far more about the school’s academic reputation than athletics. Wisconsin might be able to marshal some support, but they’re always going to be second fiddle to the Packers. Same with Washington and the Seahawks. Don’t think there’s enough money in the state of Indiana to be split three ways, and Purdue is always going to be little brother to IU and the Irish there.

Nebraska is like Tennessee aside from a crucial difference. Nebraska is much more sparsely populated. The commitment and passion is there from that fanbase, but I don’t know that there is a broad enough base to build something on the scale of Spyre. People in Illinois care about the Bears if they care for football at all; it would take Red Grange himself rising from the dead to spur the kind of interest the Illini would need to make waves. Northwestern is the Vanderbilt of the Big 10; their alumni likely care far more about the school’s academic reputation than athletics. Wisconsin might be able to marshal some support, but they’re always going to be second fiddle to the Packers. Same with Washington and the Seahawks. Don’t think there’s enough money in the state of Indiana to be split three ways, and Purdue is always going to be little brother to IU and the Irish there.
Don't be so sure. Nebraska has a TON of money through Ag... and people in Agribusiness are the ones most passionate about NU football. Omaha is a city of around a million people with a significant economic base apart from Ag.

My point with Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, and IU is that the money is there in their alumni base if the will is there. Purdue btw produces a TON of engineers and they have an exceptional reputation in the field. They're more of a football school than IU. ND's draw is national and not particular to Indiana.

The relationship between Udub and the Seahawks is more like the Vols and Titans than you might imagine. You'll find a lot of people there nostalgic about the Don James era of football than the history of Seahawks football.

These programs and others have potential. Do they have will?

PS- not just because I am one... but I'm not sure there is a better fanbase than Vol football has... or Vol athletics generally. The Vols have gotten fan support while being pretty awful for a LONG time that other programs can't even dream of in the best of times.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land

VN Store

Back