NIL question

ShoalCreekVol

I haven't kept up with or researched the rules around the NIL process. So this may be a dumb question, but...

Is there anything in the rules to prevent the University, the athletic department, or an affiliated booster club from paying a player under NIL? I mean, does it have to be a completely separate third party/ business, or will the likes of Nick Saban just start doing it themselves?

I haven't kept up with or researched the rules around the NIL process. So this may be a dumb question, but...

Is there anything in the rules to prevent the University, the athletic department, or an affiliated booster club from paying a player under NIL? I mean, does it have to be a completely separate third party/ business, or will the likes of Nick Saban just start doing it themselves?

I’ve not seen anything that suggests that schools can directly pay players. The only thing I’ve seen that is close is Michigan selling custom jerseys to fans and players getting a portion (has to be special order, not off rack).

Michigan players, store partner in jersey-sale deal

The schools basically line up the company's that pay the players directly with the Athletics Department NIL departments they all have with marketing & social media guru's they hired. So no the schools aren't paying except the merchandise money

It's all ridiculous & not the reason college sports was set up. I loathe it but it is what it is. Got to live with it

Saban said his qb inked nearly a million in NIL money on purpose the other day..to let every 5 star qb know what you get if you sign with bama

Last edited:
Reactions: savannahfan
Yup basically they can pimp themselves out to anyone that wants to use them bc of their affiliate with the team and they can get paid big money. However they also have to perform and I foresee tons of players going into this blindly and getting into big money troubles.

Last edited:
The schools basically line up the company's that pay the players directly with the Athletics Department NIL departments they all have with marketing & social media guru's they hired. So no the schools aren't paying except the merchandise money

It's all ridiculous & not the reason college was set up. I loathe it but it is what it is. Got to live with it

Saban said his qb inked nearly a million in NIL money on purpose the other day..to let every 5 star qb know what you get if you sign with bama

My position exactly....

Yup basically they can pimp themselves out to anyone that wants to use them bc of their affiliate with the team and they can get paid big money. However they also have to preform and I foresee tons of players going into this blindly and getting into big money troubles.
Mo money mo problems?

What are "big money troubles"? 😅

The university/AD cannot pay anyone. Boosters were originally not going to be allowed, but that was reversed afaik...considering just how many business owners are boosters, it was probably untenable.

North Carolina opened a new path Tuesday for its players to cash in: group licensing for official Tar Heels merchandise.
North Caorlina is believed to be the first school in the nation to launch a group licensing program for current athletes. Under the partnership with The Brandr Group, athletes will receive a cut of net revenue for merchandising opportunities pursued by TBG with products that include the school's official trademarks and logos.
Participating in the voluntary program won’t restrict individual endorsement deals now that college athletes across the country are clear to profit from use of their name, image and likeness as of July 1.

“The manufacturers are the experts in the market to know what fans want,” Tar Heels athletic director Bubba Cunningham said in an interview with The Associated Press. “So if our retailers and licensees think a jersey sale would be absolutely terrific, then they’re going to sell jerseys.
"It might be that posters of our gymnastics team are what all the little girls that come to the meet want, so maybe that’s what it’ll be for gymnastics. For the baseball team, maybe it’s trading cards.”
Athletic logos, trademarks and mottos are considered among the most valuable brand assets an athletic department has and lawsuits are not uncommon as schools protect them. Athletes had long been barred from earning money off this kind of merchandise but NIL has dramatically changed the landscape.
Cunningham said sales of Tar Heels merchandise could be tracked to compensate athletes based on sales of their individually marketed items such as jerseys, while athletes would share money more broadly for group items such as a poster featuring multiple athletes. Athletes could join a group of three or more within a single sport, or at least six across multiple sports

Passing away millions like majority of NFL players do while going bankrupt.
Seems like a good problem to have vs...already being broke.

Personal problems either way. And a lot of past NFL'ers went broke because of the shady shiz business of financial advisors. A ton of those guys were basically stolen from or were given awful advice.

I appreciate the responses. I didn't realize there was something in there specifically prohibiting the school from directly paying them for name image and likeness.

I'm sure any school that has done its homework has already put together a list of these pieces and boosters ready to pay players for these things, just to get them there.

Sounds like the NCAA has created a scenario where the schools with the advantages are the ones who are best at getting their boosters to pay players. Oh wait, we already were there, just now it's flipped from below the table to above the table.

Seems like a good problem to have vs...already being broke.

Personal problems either way. And a lot of past NFL'ers went broke because of the shady shiz business of financial advisors. A ton of those guys were basically stolen from or were given awful advice.
So they pissed away their own money from their decisions like I said 🤔

VN Store

Back