NIL Laws by State?

Tigervol

Interesting article on how Alabama State Legislators changed the law to allow more freedom in recruiting. Anyone know if we have a restriction on NIL by state laws?

The State Of Alabama Is Literally Changing Its Laws To Help Nick Saban In Recruiting After Georgia Loss — BroBible

Key excerpt down a bit was:
“A coach can then say to a recruit something along the lines of “I know of X amount of money that is available in NIL should you choose to enroll at X school.” And then, if the recruit chooses that program, those deals can be inked and paid out upon enrollment.”

Interesting article on how Alabama State Legislators changed the law to allow more freedom in recruiting. Anyone know if we have a restriction on NIL by state laws?

The State Of Alabama Is Literally Changing Its Laws To Help Nick Saban In Recruiting After Georgia Loss — BroBible

“A coach can then say to a recruit something along the lines of “I know of X amount of money that is available in NIL should you choose to enroll at X school.” And then, if the recruit chooses that program, those deals can be inked and paid out upon enrollment.”
I thought the ncaa stated an NIL deal could not be contingent upon enrolling in a particular school..

I don’t disagree with that, but it is different than a state making a law that directly conflicts with the NCAA regulations.
There is a difference in a State law and an association regulation.
State law will trump the NCAA every time.
I wonder if the bill was named after Wee Little Nicky?

here is the Tennessee law

Tennessee NIL Law for NCAA - Spry

Reactions: 3holenones
I thought the ncaa stated an NIL deal could not be contingent upon enrolling in a particular school..

The NCAA rules and regs on NIL defer to state laws. State laws can over ride NCAA rules or scholol policies.

There is a difference in a State law and an association regulation.
State law will trump the NCAA every time.
I wonder if the bill was named after Wee Little Nicky?
If that is the case, then why didn’t states previously pass laws that a school can openly pay athletes. The NCAA is still the clearinghouse for eligibility.

I don’t disagree with that, but it is different than a state making a law that directly conflicts with the NCAA regulations.

It sounds like they are repealing the state restrictions on NIL, so that it is entirely governed by NCAA guidelines.

Lawmakers move to repeal state's 2021 NIL law

There's nothing stopping Tennessee from doing the same, and operating solely under the NCAA guidelines as well.

It sounds like they are repealing the state restrictions on NIL, so that it is entirely governed by NCAA guidelines.

Lawmakers move to repeal state's 2021 NIL law

There's nothing stopping Tennessee from doing the same, and operating solely under the NCAA guidelines as well.
"Fair market value" may be the language in the Tennessee NIL that keeps Tennessee from competing for athletes against everyone else.

What the NCAA thinks on compensation is mostly irrelevant at this stage. You guys are stuck on NIL when the reality is... the NCAA and NIL no longer matter.

VN Store

Back