NIL - Bryce Young

OrangeVolMan

So Coach Saban says Bryce Young has agreements for close to million dollars. As what point do fans decide they don’t want to donate money to schools to help support players making six or seven figures. Why would I want to donate to UT to help pay for tutoring, nicer locker rooms, etc for players making six figures? They can pay for it themselves. I might buy tickets to an NFL game but I don’t make donations to help NFL players.

This will create such an unfair advantage in the landscape of college football. How can colleges compete for recruits when a player (who hasn't even started a game) can bring in $1 million in endorsements for himself just for playing at Alabama. We cannot compete against that.

This will create such an unfair advantage in the landscape of college football. How can colleges compete for recruits when a player (who hasn't even started a game) can bring in $1 million in endorsements for himself just for playing at Alabama. We cannot compete against that.
We can't compete against Alabama anyway.

They signed Bryce Young, and all the other top recruits they've gotten over the years, before NIL.

Why not? We have some pretty wealthy fans and alumni that own businesses.

Reactions: 05_never_again
Why not? We have some pretty wealthy fans and alumni that own businesses.
Our biggest booster makes Alabama's biggest booster look like a pauper.

It isn't an issue of money...UT has plenty of that. It's an issue of guys can sell their likeness now, they've been really good and are an attractive opportunity to advertisers, and we've sucked.

Reactions: Remy and hog88
If I were a big money contributor I would contribute to kids who want to make the world a better place, not to the all about me athletes. When these kids get to the NFL or NBA very few of them help the communities they came from.

Reactions: DuckInAPen
I hate to break it to you guys, but alabama has legal weed, and thier stars walk pocketing about 3 mill after 4 years if they are smart. The good news here is that Saban cannot last long in this environment.

I think this is more likely to lead to splitting up D1 college football. Let the Power 5 conferences have their own division and NC because their budgets and nil deals are at least in the ballpark. Meanwhile the little guys could compete for their own NC in another division and the money in that division would be similar as well. There will always be discrepancies between the haves and have nots but at least separating the power five would make it somewhat closer.

That's not a bad argument, really.
Don't you think they will have to address this with additional rules. Otherwise all of Bama's or Georgia's or Miami's 4 and 5 star players could be offered a deal from a company in lieu of a scholarship and those teams would then just sign more players. This could get out of hand quickly. I'm not saying I'm opposed but I don't think this was thought through before just turning on the switch.

So Coach Saban says Bryce Young has agreements for close to million dollars. As what point do fans decide they don’t want to donate money to schools to help support players making six or seven figures. Why would I want to donate to UT to help pay for tutoring, nicer locker rooms, etc for players making six figures? They can pay for it themselves. I might buy tickets to an NFL game but I don’t make donations to help NFL players.

Fans seem pretty comfortable with donating money to schools to support coaches and administrators making six or seven figures. Hell, many of them go so far to donate money to NOT have coaches and administrators come to their school anymore (see: UT).

Oh by the way, those coaches and administrators also have nice locker rooms and office buildings, too.

It is mind boggling how people throw logic to the wind when it comes to some athletes making money on THEIR OWN LIKENESS.

Don't you think they will have to address this with additional rules. Otherwise all of Bama's or Georgia's or Miami's 4 and 5 star players could be offered a deal from a company in lieu of a scholarship and those teams would then just sign more players. This could get out of hand quickly. I'm not saying I'm opposed but I don't think this was thought through before just turning on the switch.

You can only dress 85 for SEC games, so I don't know that it benefits anyone to just stockpile like crazy.

I think this is more likely to lead to splitting up D1 college football. Let the Power 5 conferences have their own division and NC because their budgets and nil deals are at least in the ballpark. Meanwhile the little guys could compete for their own NC in another division and the money in that division would be similar as well. There will always be discrepancies between the haves and have nots but at least separating the power five would make it somewhat closer.

Splitting the “haves” from the “have nots” is going to occur. Maybe 50-60schools will be in the “pro” division. The weaker P5 schools may get squeezed out.

Yet no one is asking Vitello to upgrade his own stadium. Or Barnes to upgrade TB. A certain demographic of people are so angry. Wonder why?

Yet no one is asking Vitello to upgrade his own stadium. Or Barnes to upgrade TB. A certain demographic of people are so angry. Wonder why?
They may soon. That money will slip away. The people paying Bryce Young don’t come up with $1M out of thin air. They may otherwise spend that on sponsorships with the university. And he’s just one player.

VN Store

Back