NIL $ and walk-ons vs scholarship spots

gattisman

Hypothetically speaking,could a P5 school or any school with the way that NIL is now.Could a school bring in more student athletes than they are allowed by the NCAA restrictions and rules by paying the tution of said players? Example: With UT's punishment from NCAA we can have only ## of scholarship players.Why cant we or dont we go offer more athletes to play here at Tennessee? Example: A shool on probation limited to 50 scholar ships go out and recruit as many players they need with NIL $$.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Technically no. Although I think the most that any current school has is around 130 players.

You can only have 85 scholarship players. The other 30-40 can be walk-ons.

The issue as I see it would be convincing an athlete to spend their NIL money on college tuition when another school will most likely give them a scholarship plus NIL money.

But it's theoretically possible I suppose.

There will be many transfer portal guys who gave up a safe scholarship for the hope of an NIL deal and greener pastures but found no new opportunities. It seems that some of these players could discount their services and catch on with a program as a PWO. Not sure if you would attract quality motivated players with this strategy but you could build depth for a rebuilding program.

There will be many transfer portal guys who gave up a safe scholarship for the hope of an NIL deal and greener pastures but found no new opportunities. It seems that some of these players could discount their services and catch on with a program as a PWO. Not sure if you would attract quality motivated players with this strategy but you could build depth for a rebuilding program.
No possible way of me having any clue if this is true, but I thought JJJ is not on scholly?

Technically no. Although I think the most that any current school has is around 130 players.

The issue as I see it would be convincing an athlete to spend their NIL money on college tuition when another school will most likely give them a scholarship plus NIL money.

30-40 with NIL deals plus the 85 scholarships is hoarding players and it is possible!

Hypothetically speaking,could a P5 school or any school with the way that NIL is now.Could a school bring in more student athletes than they are allowed by the NCAA restrictions and rules by paying the tution of said players? Example: With UT's punishment from NCAA we can have only ## of scholarship players.Why cant we or dont we go offer more athletes to play here at Tennessee? Example: A shool on probation limited to 50 scholar ships go out and recruit as many players they need with NIL $$.

schools cannot put any money at all into an NIL. Its not a hypothetical, its against state law.

With the NIL, I'd have to assume schools can stockpile "walkons" like Bama and the Huskers used to do back in the day. Even better, it negates the totally unfair advantage Vandy had in baseball. In short, the playing field has been leveled and speaking just for myself, I suspect that's a big reason Saban called it quits. When you have to compete on the aforementioned level playing field, it's just a little harder to maintain that level of success. Stud would have enjoyed this new era of college football...may he RIP.

A much bigger issue is convincing someone to pay a collective to provide NIL to someone walking-on. You would have to convince them they are a 5 star and then convince the 5 star to "walk-on". JMO

I'm sure there are walk-ons that get some NIL. Like maybe a few hundred bucks a month... fans would show up to get an autograph of a walk-on or two, if Nico was also there giving autographs. :)

Reactions: murfvol1
If the collective is willing to pay a kid $500K to upwards of a million, what would be an additional $100 G (?) matter for tuition.

A much bigger issue is convincing someone to pay a collective to provide NIL to someone walking-on. You would have to convince them they are a 5 star and then convince the 5 star to "walk-on". JMO

I'm sure there are walk-ons that get some NIL. Like maybe a few hundred bucks a month... fans would show up to get an autograph of a walk-on or two, if Nico was also there giving autographs. :)
I’m sure it could be done but like you said it would be hard to convince a decent player to come without a scholarship. Money is a commitment by a collective to a player, scholarship is a commitment by a program to a player; most good players are going to want both. I’m sure there will be an exception though eventually if not already.

Good question, I would like to know the answer to this as well.

I’m sure it could be done but like you said it would be hard to convince a decent player to come without a scholarship. Money is a commitment by a collective to a player, scholarship is a commitment by a program to a player; most good players are going to want both. I’m sure there will be an exception though eventually if not already.
I would think the most practical application would be to add a few players with schollie offers from G5 schools with enough NIL to make attending cost neutral at a contender especially for dream school types, where you think they could be late bloomers or service misses. PWO PLUS PLAN.

Reactions: knox73

and would get both somewhere so anyone trying to convince them to come as a walk-on would get laughed at.

Reactions: KHVol
and would get both somewhere so anyone trying to convince them to come as a walk-on would get laughed at.
How much NIL did Brazzell get at Tulane the year he signed? That class of player might want a shot at P5 early if his out of pocket is equal. More cost effective for instate guys on but down your board. Schollie cost less, game attendance less, etc. bottom line is bottom line.

Reactions: knox73
i know this is all for discussion, but i think groups like SPYRE have thought of every scenerio possible to work NIL rules. I think if it were something they could do and get the athletes to get on board with, they would be doing it already

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Yes u can, a legal way to stockpile players, smart, Saban used every tactic to win Championships. I taught my children that FAIR is to win every time in every endeavor by any means.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
We have to remember that these are real people with real egos. I cannot imagine that telling a stud recruit, the types that are receiving an NIL deal, that they will be a walk on. For many, that ends the conversation. Coaches aren’t going to risk that. The NIL PWO program will only work if you are giving guys NIL deals that aren’t wouldn’t be getting that value from elsewhere.
NIL deals cannot be tied directly to a school either, and walk-on rules for transferring make it easy for a guy to get an NIL deal, switch schools and enroll elsewhere with nothing to be done by the university. If they sigh a LOI, that burns their free transfer. A walk-on has no LOI, so until they are enrolled, they are a free agent. They also have different rules for facilities in the time period between high school and college enrollment. It is a big gamble.

How much NIL did Brazzell get at Tulane the year he signed? That class of player might want a shot at P5 early if his out of pocket is equal. More cost effective for instate guys on but down your board. Schollie cost less, game attendance less, etc. bottom line is bottom line.
No idea. Don't think he was highly recruited but would have to research. Schrader at Mizzou was not recruited by any P5.

VN Store

Back