Nike, UT and current fashion politics

Hank Bukowski

Roland James
I am just thinking out loud here…I wonder if any of UT’s governing bodies/people and large donors are starting to have concerns with Nike’s relationship with UT considering Nike’s political activism? I have heard nothing of the sort but just throwing it out here. As far as I can tell, Nike hasn’t really crossed any red lines for UT that I’m aware of but the corporate virtue-signaling that seems to be the fashion these days may change that.

I am just thinking out loud here…I wonder if any of UT’s governing bodies/people and large donors are starting to have concerns with Nike’s relationship with UT considering Nike’s political activism? I have heard nothing of the sort but just throwing it out here. As far as I can tell, Nike hasn’t really crossed any red lines for UT that I’m aware of but the corporate virtue-signaling that seems to be the fashion these days may change that.

There has always been corporate virtue signaling with Nike (usually patriotic, but female empowerment, etc.). If you want the best athletes coming to your school, do not cancel the most popular brand because of things that will put you at odds with the views of young athletes we are trying to recruit. It would be suicide.

And I've always loved good ol' boys casting stones at Lebron and the NBA for the Chinese partnership stuff. They're supposed to boycott China and Nike when the stakes are literally billions of dollars,?...but we won't boycott Nike because that would mean boycotting the Vols.

Lol. Are you kidding me? Donde probably dreams at night of having the first transgender female on a major women’s basketball program.
I am 100% on board with the Lady Vols trotting a 6’9” biological male out there.

Let’s hang some more banners.

If in the process it exposes this nonsense for what it is, well even better. But I WILL NOT support taking the banners down. 😆

I am 100% on board with the Lady Vols trotting a 6’9” biological male out there.

Let’s hang some more banners.

If in the process it exposes this nonsense for what it is, well even better. But I WILL NOT support taking the banners down. 😆

Honestly I would laugh about it, sadly that 6'9 tranny would probably be terrible.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Honestly I would laugh about it, sadly that 6'9 tranny would probably be terrible.
We’re not looking for an 6’9” individual that is truly dysphoric and undergoing process and procedures to find more joy in their life.

I just want a dude, willing to say he’s a chic, that is awesome at basketball.

They need only “identify” if we are following the Lia Thomas precedent already set by the NCAA.

Let’s go win.

PSST! Come 'ere. Closer. Closer. OK, here's your red line, bub. Go RIGHT to hating Nike (perhaps by default the UT too).
Behind Nike’s Decision to Stand by Colin Kaepernick

We’re not looking for an 6’9” individual that is truly dysphoric and undergoing process and procedures to find more joy in their life.

I just want a dude, willing to say he’s a chic, that is awesome at basketball.

They need only “identify” if we are following the Lia Thomas precedent already set by the NCAA.

Let’s go win.

I'm good with that. I'd love it if a couple of dude just went out for the women's team. That would be hilarious

Why did Pat used to have the LV’s scrimmage vs boys from the intramural leagues?

Could you even get away with that these days? I imagine it might be viewed differently now.

Why did Pat used to have the LV’s scrimmage vs boys from the intramural leagues?

Could you even get away with that these days? I imagine it might be viewed differently now.

You can't do that because if this happens, then there will certainly be instances where the ladies teams get boat raced, and then they will be the subject of merciless ridicule by miserable incel trolls all over the internet, for years to come. See the U-15 USA boys beating the USWNT in a scrimmage as a case study.

They have to do so much more to protect the girls' games. It's kinda crazy that so many people negatively care.

You can't do that because if this happens, then there will certainly be instances where the ladies teams get boat raced, and then they will be the subject of merciless ridicule by miserable incel trolls all over the internet, for years to come. See the U-15 USA boys beating the USWNT in a scrimmage as a case study.

They have to do so much more to protect the girls' games. It's kinda crazy that so many people negatively care.

Pretty sure they still do.
9ea4b1ce-eeec-4937-ba73-143735991c73-KNS_lady_vols_practice_BP_3.jpg

The whole purpose of scrimmaging vs guys was so Pat could test the LV’s vs bigger, stronger, faster players.

Who would ridicule the LV’s for losing a scrimmage vs guys?

There has always been corporate virtue signaling with Nike (usually patriotic, but female empowerment, etc.). If you want the best athletes coming to your school, do not cancel the most popular brand because of things that will put you at odds with the views of young athletes we are trying to recruit. It would be suicide.

And I've always loved good ol' boys casting stones at Lebron and the NBA for the Chinese partnership stuff. They're supposed to boycott China and Nike when the stakes are literally billions of dollars,?...but we won't boycott Nike because that would mean boycotting the Vols.
I will never, ever purchase anything with that ****ing swoosh on it.

Reactions: OrangeBoro

Have you seen ads from Adidas lately?

Reactions: EasternVol
The whole purpose of scrimmaging vs guys was so Pat could test the LV’s vs bigger, stronger, faster players.

Who would ridicule the LV’s for losing a scrimmage vs guys?

I described the type of person pretty explicitly in the post you quoted.

Just hang around the comment section on sports pages across the web. There is a whole movement of bros that spend their time bashing women's sports. I get ads for local women's sports and the comments are dudes trying to **** all over it.

Reactions: flint
I described the type of person pretty explicitly in the post you quoted.

Just hang around the comment section on sports pages across the web. There is a whole movement of bros that spend their time bashing women's sports. I get ads for local women's sports and the comments are dudes trying to **** all over it.
Ok I don’t know what an incel troll is. But you reference the USWNT and the U15 boys. Ok, I get that.

But these are college girls scrimmaging against college boys. I don’t think it’s quite the same thing?

Edit: for anyone else. Incel = Involuntarily Celibate.
“I sexually identify as an Attack Helicopter”: Incels, trolls, and non-binary gender politics online | First Monday

Last edited:
Yes, MAGA should certainly add Nike to it's ever expanding "I do not care for them" list, which already includes

--the government generally
--Justice Dept. FBI, Education Dept., EPA
--teachers
---public schools
---professors
---colleges
---books
---Disney/ESPN
---the media
---LGBTQ
---Blacks
---NBA and all other Sports played by Blacks