Niele Ivey

Not necessarily. The yearly WBCA convention is at the FF each year. So there are lots of coaches there who aren't playing in the FF.
Read my comment again. "If.........IN the Final Four" , only these coaches coached in the Final Four - Mulkey, Graves, McGraw, Auriemma and their assistants. If he's talking to any of those about becoming the LV's coach it is one or more of the assistants.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Read my comment again. "If.........IN the Final Four" , only these coaches coached in the Final Four - Mulkey, Graves, McGraw, Auriemma and their assistants. If he's talking to any of those about becoming the LV's coach it is one or more of the assistants.
Yes and it wouldn't be Geno's Assistant she isn't going anywhere. I think Campbell at Oregon and Ivey at Notre Dame would at least get an interest phone call. Mulkey has an old Guy as her Associate Head Coach. I don't think we would be taking him because of his age. All the other Assistants wouldn't be in contention I believe you would at least want an Associate because they do a lot of the coaching and planning for the team.

Let's give credit where credit is due...Niele is a fine-looking lady.

4f4002368227e.image.jpg

5f5c90dee6e42db0a7222ec7afb02fab.jpg

After watching Ivey speak so tenderly about her loyalty to McGraw and Notre Dame last night, my guess is that the LAST thing she’d do is leave them now, immediately after a heartbreaking missed opportunity for a championship.

Might as well take Niele off the list of potential candidates.

After watching Ivey speak so tenderly about her loyalty to McGraw and Notre Dame last night, my guess is that the LAST thing she’d do is leave them now, immediately after a heartbreaking missed opportunity for a championship.

hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe not. In fact, it might be exactly the reason Ivey DOES come to Tenn. There's a narrative out there, disputed but persistent, that Pat didn't actually give the job to Holly and instead encouraged Nikki to take the UCLA job so she could get HC experience for possible future ascension to the LV throne. Maybe Muffet would encourage Ivey to get this experience so that when she comes back to ND, she will be better prepared with big time HC experience.

I know that raises the possibility Ivey would come for a few years then leave, but I long ago gave up longevity as a requirement for the next coach. We just need someone to get the car out of the ditch right now, not drive it to California.

If we go the assistant route, Ivey should definitely be high on the list.

We just need someone to get the car out of the ditch right now, not drive it to California.

Hope you don't mind my highlighting and enlarging your quote, which is brilliant. I just hope someone puts in on a plaque and sends it to Phil.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Hope you don't mind my highlighting and enlarging your quote, which is brilliant. I just hope someone puts in on a plaque and sends it to Phil.
Your sweet, I'm flattered. Doubt Phil wants my input, been offering it to him for years, and like Coach Jumper, I continue to wait by the phone. My quote could be there instantly, wouldn't have to wait for tomorrow!

Sadly, when the car does drive to Cali we gotta be sure Coach Rick Barnes isn't in it! What did Vol Basketball fans do to deserve so much misery? Football fans, yes, but us? Why?

Maybe not. In fact, it might be exactly the reason Ivey DOES come to Tenn. There's a narrative out there, disputed but persistent, that Pat didn't actually give the job to Holly and instead encouraged Nikki to take the UCLA job so she could get HC experience for possible future ascension to the LV throne. Maybe Muffet would encourage Ivey to get this experience so that when she comes back to ND, she will be better prepared with big time HC experience.

I know that raises the possibility Ivey would come for a few years then leave, but I long ago gave up longevity as a requirement for the next coach. We just need someone to get the car out of the ditch right now, not drive it to California.

If we go the assistant route, Ivey should definitely be high on the list.

You made some excellent points. And I’m completely with you on the idea that we need an emergency fix right now and don’t necessarily HAVE to have a coach who would stay 30 years.

We’ll see soon enough, won’t we? 👍🏻

Reactions: glv98
What did Vol Basketball fans do to deserve so much misery? Football fans, yes, but us? Why?

Where, Oh, where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and thought I found true love,
You met another and pfft! you were gone.

Reactions: glv98

That was my thought as well.

Well I guess if you watched a clip of her talking about her team and players that must be the case. Lol. If she is offered the UT job, McGraw and her players will be ecstatic for her and do whatever they can to help her. That is how it works. And I am sure she realizes that.

First of all, after such a loss, that's when I would expect a coach to feel closest and most bonded with his/her players. I think she was speaking from the heart.

But I feel sure that McGraw had a heart-to-heart with Ivey within 24 hours of the announcement of our vacancy, preparing her for the decision-making process she might soon have to commence.

I'm sure leaving ND is a heart-rending thought for Ivey. But cooler, experienced mentors will guide her to accept that sooner or later there will come a time to step out of her comfort zone, leave the nest of her ND basketball family, and take on the opportunities she's earned as Coach Niele Ivey.

IMHO the real question is, will McGraw and those mentors evaluate the Tennessee position to be a solid move for Ivey, or as a career-diminishing, coaching cul-de-sac, animated by an entitled fanbase?

What would you tell Coach Ivey if she contacted you, or if she was your daughter?

It would appear from the newspaper story that Phil never considered Ivey. If so, that was in incredible blunder on his part. She will be one of the great coaches in the women's game when she does get a team. I'm just hoping Kellie is up to the challenge and everyone can get behind her.

Reactions: stlvolsfan

VN Store

Back