Niele Ivey

Tennessee is not all that elite these days. We need an up and coming super star like Ivey. She would be the best choice by far

Would she leave in five years to replace Muffett? I don’t want someone whose dream job is another top program. She has spent 15 years at ND, I have to believe that is where she wants to be.

She will be the next great coach somewhere and heard that she is one of the candidates for the Tennessee job. Long time Assistant at Notre Dame person responsible for bringing all the talent that has played there in the past and the present. If we were going for a person that has never been a head coach but has been a player favorite and can relate to players she would be the person I would choose. A coach with a lot of experience in what it takes to win x's and 0's and someone that is as good a recruiter as there is in college basketball. Would be a huge loss to the Notre Dame program and I think she would bring our program back as quickly as any other coach we can hire.

Niele Ivey - Women's Basketball Coach - UND Athletics

Reports are that she and Jeff Walz are the two top candidates.

Leave ALL the assistants where they are. We NEED a HEAD COACH. No more EXPERIMENTS.

Tennessee is not all that elite these days. We need an up and coming super star like Ivey. She would be the best choice by far

1. Outside of UConn,and maybe SC, Tennessee played more games on ESPN than any other team.

2. Tennesse still attracts top level AA recruits and transfers. Just ask DeShields, Westbrook, Horston, etc

3. The Tennessee HC job will be one of the most sought after jobs this offseason.

4. How is Ivey an up and coming star when she's never proven herself as a HC?

5. Tennessee's not an elite basketball team because they don't have a competent HC.

Last edited:
If Fulmer decides he’s okay with going with someone who has no head-coach experience, then my preference would be Lawson. We know these things for certain: she’s tough as nails, a hard worker, is a fantastic communicator, has a brilliant mind that’s constantly expanding, and also has the bonus feature of being a LVFL.

I would imagine that her staff would be comprised of just the perfect balance of personalties and abilities, and that there would be no weak links. Kara is way too smart to make staffing mistakes.
Good luck getting back from your Mickey Mouse Donald Duck World.

You people are insane for wanting to hire an assistant coach that currently coaches for her alma mater, and the head coach is already in her 60's. If she did a good job her then she would more than likely go back to her alma mater when the opening happens in about five years. It just does not seem very smart to me. If we can't hire Walz, I believe I would rather give Kellie those 5 years to prove herself. Tennessee is her home, she is a VFL, she has head coaching experience, and her girls seem to love her, but she is still hard-nosed.

Honestly I wouldn't mind the hire at all. But that's instinct based, not based on fact, as she obviously has no HC experience. She has the pedigree as a player and assistant under McGraw and a fantastic recruiter that I believe she would do well.

Honestly it would be akin to the Jeremy Pruitt hire for football (no HC experience but an outstanding assistant for a powerhouse program)...but she would inherit a much better roster. Similar to Pruitt, it could be a homerun hire or it could be a disaster.

Reactions: BreatheUT
You people are insane for wanting to hire an assistant coach that currently coaches for her alma mater, and the head coach is already in her 60's. If she did a good job her then she would more than likely go back to her alma mater when the opening happens in about five years.

ND's job is Cunningham's job to lose when McGraw retires, not Niele Ivey. Unless for some reason Cunningham wouldn't want the job.

Think of Cunningham as the Warlick of the staff in terms of seniority, while Ivey is the Nikki Caldwell. Ivey is also the ace recruiter on the staff similar to how Nikki was here.

Also, Ivey interviewed for the UGA coaching vacancy just a couple years ago. She obviously is interested in becoming a HC somewhere other than ND.

This is everything that they also said about Holly. Until they make it as a head coach, it’s a crapshoot. Walz has shown that he can coach.

No it's not. Holly wasn't even noticeable on the bench to many Lady Vol fans.

If the team had lost Holly in 2008 to another program I don't think many would've cared but if Notre Dame loses Ivey it would be big. I'm not saying I want an inexperienced coach but I am saying she is well respected. I don't think Holly was as a coach by her peers.

You people are insane for wanting to hire an assistant coach that currently coaches for her alma mater, and the head coach is already in her 60's. If she did a good job her then she would more than likely go back to her alma mater when the opening happens in about five years. It just does not seem very smart to me. If we can't hire Walz, I believe I would rather give Kellie those 5 years to prove herself. Tennessee is her home, she is a VFL, she has head coaching experience, and her girls seem to love her, but she is still hard-nosed.

If Ivey comes here and leads the LVs to five undefeated seasons and then decides to go back to ND, I could live with that.

Love the idea of Ivey but she's too risky to take if we have someone like Wes Moore or Jeff Walz wanting to come. I think she'll be an outstanding head coach but would rather see her coach at a mid major or less P5 school before coming to Knoxville. Great assistants don't always make great head coaches (see Warlick, Holly).

I'm guessing she'd like to coach at her alma mater too so she (or ND's associate head coach) would be a strong candidate to take over once Muffet retires.

Would she leave in five years to replace Muffett? I don’t want someone whose dream job is another top program. She has spent 15 years at ND, I have to believe that is where she wants to be.
On the flip side, if she would leave for ND that would mean she was killing it at Tennessee

NOT LIKELY AND NO REASON HE SHOULD. THERE PROBABLY ARE 50 OR MORE VERY GOOD HEAD COACHES WHO WOULD PISS IN THEIR PANTS TO COME TO KNOXVILLE!!!!

Once again...enough with the geezer-bashing!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

(Written just before a quick trip to the lounge at 3:20 AM).

Well Kara has stated on more than one occasion she was happy at ESPN and happy being a UT trustee. I would be more into her than Ivey but aint happening in my mind, but my crystal balls are getting cloudy!LOL
I think Kara Lawson would be a great hire with a short learning curve. She is light years head and shoulders above most candidates.

Reactions: 7Iron

VN Store

Back