Nico passes Arch Manning for no1 recruit in 23

Holy crap Batman. I just spend 15 minutes searching for the Texas Longhorns football schedule for this Fall. It is nowhere to be found and finally, I saw that their cupcake league said they will not have the schedules out till the end of January. I wanted to see what kind of teams Archie will be playing other than the always tough... Kansas Jayhawks, Iowa State Cyclones, Red Raiders of Texas Tech and well, need I go on????
The B12 is adding four teams to the league this year. Thatā€™s why the delay on the schedule.

Reactions: Volador
I always chuckle just a bit when we are debating what ranking a high schooler has before collegiate endeavors begin. But the industry that benefits from these incredibly inaccurate (for the most part of course) rankings love it when we engage in unprovable rhetoric. It is a slight entertainer to the sports fan during the football offseason for sure. I personally so enjoy basketball and soon baseball that my allotment of time for such ā€œtrival trivialitiesā€ (Barney fans will get that) is very small. JMO
I do agree however Arch will probably achieve a high level of success at Texas šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

The fact that every other service has Nico as like number 1 or 2 overall player and ESPN has him as like 32.. he's not even a top 5 QB for them.. it baffles the mind.

I think Jaden Rashadaā€™s name is known nationwide by everyone from staunch fans to drive by fans now. Thx NIL. Bad thing for him a lot of ppl are cheering for him to fall on his face.

Just one more example of ESPN's prejudice against TN. They have Nico as the #23 player overall and the #4 QB in the 2023 class. If he had gone anywhere but UT they would say he is an automatic Heisman winner. Somehow there are still people on here that deny ESPN takes every opportunity to dis the Vols or our players. SMH You don't have to kick me in the nuts for me to see you don't like me. JMHO

Just one more example of ESPN's prejudice against TN. They have Nico as the #23 player overall and the #4 QB in the 2023 class. If he had gone anywhere but UT they would say he is an automatic Heisman winner. Somehow there are still people on here that deny ESPN takes every opportunity to dis the Vols or our players. SMH You don't have to kick me in the nuts for me to see you don't like me. JMHO

Yup. Interesting take on this from Basilio this morning:

Nico Is #23???
spacer.gif
Look, some of you actually believe that ESPN has an anti-Tennessee bias. Depending on the day I might join you in this. And today is one of those days ... NICO has gotten a bump in the latest ESPN rankings. He's now all the way up to #23? Are you kidding me? Can you imagine there are 22 players better than Nico. I'll play the under there all day ... And ESPN needs to quit hating ... At least I believe this today anyway..

The Tony Basilio Show

Reactions: Vol524
How confident are we that Nico will be OK redshirting this year behind Milton? My guess is most #1 recruits don't tolerate sitting out a year and nowadays they have a lot of leverage

If you listen to what he says during interviews, he seems to be okay with it and calls it a learning experience.

How confident are we that Nico will be OK redshirting this year behind Milton? My guess is most #1 recruits don't tolerate sitting out a year and nowadays they have a lot of leverage
Look, he and Joe Milton are both top-edge competitors. They BOTH want to win the starting job, every single year they play, at every level.

Nico's coming in hoping he can win the job. He's bright, so he knows it is a huge uphill battle. He has to learn the offense, and not just in his head...in his nerve endings. It has to be automatic, thought-free. That takes...time.

He also knows that he needs to put on some weight, some muscle. Conditioning tatkes...time.

So he's smart. He knows his chances of winning the job this spring and summer is very slight. Maybe a bit better as the season goes on.

But he's also a team player, a good teammate. More than anything, at this point, he wants to be ready to carry the team if Joe Milton gets hurt. That's job #1 for Nico.

He's okay with the reality of his situation, because he's intelligent. Nonetheless, none of this is totally off the table. Because he's a competitor.

Reactions: WeeohdeeWood
I suspect he's fine with it for one year. If he hasn't locked up the starting job next year he will be gone.

Arch will be a solid QB. Another Peyton or Eli? Who knows.

If he had shifted to Bama, I suspect he might have kept that #1 ranking....

Please don't put Peyton in the same category as Eli. Peyton was a generational QB who is in the top five or six who ever played the position in college and the NFL. Eli was a better than average QB (look at his career W-L, QB rating, and TD to INT ratio) who rode great defenses to two charmed playoff runs. Despite the bizarre national media love affair with Eli, the numbers speak for themselves.

Reactions: Sea Ray

It's rare that we go a full season without having to use the backup because of injury, so I suspect that we may see more of Nico next year than some think. I would like to see him get plenty of snaps against the weaker teams in garbage time. He needs to play and let the game slow down for him some.

Reactions: VFFL@THE BEACH
Look, he and Joe Milton are both top-edge competitors. They BOTH want to win the starting job, every single year they play, at every level.

Nico's coming in hoping he can win the job. He's bright, so he knows it is a huge uphill battle. He has to learn the offense, and not just in his head...in his nerve endings. It has to be automatic, thought-free. That takes...time.

He also knows that he needs to put on some weight, some muscle. Conditioning tatkes...time.

So he's smart. He knows his chances of winning the job this spring and summer is very slight. Maybe a bit better as the season goes on.

But he's also a team player, a good teammate. More than anything, at this point, he wants to be ready to carry the team if Joe Milton gets hurt. That's job #1 for Nico.

He's okay with the reality of his situation, because he's intelligent. Nonetheless, none of this is totally off the table. Because he's a competitor.

All of what you just said šŸ‘†was relevant 2 weeks ago.

Now it's unnecessary. He's by default number 2 at the very least since Jackson left.

The back up QB never redshirts in this offense. There's always blowout games for them to develop or the starter gets dinged up.

Zero chance of redshirting for Nico, now.

All of what you just said šŸ‘†was relevant 2 weeks ago.

Now it's unnecessary. He's by default number 2 at the very least since Jackson left.

The back up QB never redshirts in this offense. There's always blowout games for them to develop or the starter gets dinged up.

Zero chance of redshirting for Nico, now.
I think you said that wrong. The question Sea Ray asked, about whether Nico would be okay redshirting, seems irrelevant at this point. My response to him, though, is entirely based on current circumstances. And so remains relevant.

Go Vols!

Since 2016, there have been around 240 5* commitments.

11 of those +-240 5* players were regular starters their freshman year.

So roughly 4% of 5 star prospects start the whole freshman year.

VN Store

Back