Nick Saban says NIL made him ask, "Why are we doing this" Ted Cruz YouTube

Here's more of Saban's comment, and here he's not wrong. Except they should have figured out a way to revenue share years ago when money for coaches and from tv became outrageous. But the wife comments were laughably tone deaf and hypocritical. And how bout big man putting it on his wife? The classic "people are saying".
“Bryce Young had a Nissan deal that was a national deal, he had a BMW deal that was a national deal, he had a Dr. Pepper deal- he earned those. That’s what NIL was supposed to be. It wasn’t supposed to be an opportunity for us to create something to pay players.Because this genie is out of the bottle, we should create something to revenue share AND still have those NIL opportunities for players who earn that and have that type of brand.”
Are most 18 year old boys as mature as most 26 year old young men?

No. Prefrontal cortex development (reasoning, planning, judgment, and impulse control) lags 3-4 years behind that of females, and doesn't fully develop in males until their late 20s or early 30s.

Do we have other laws which recognize that fact of life, and thus protect them until they are older and more capable of making better decisions and controlling impulses?

Yes.

Do tens of thousands of dollars open up more temptations than just a beer keg or grass?

the public is going to have to fly this plane directly into the mountain first and then while sorting through the inevitable wreckage that follows, at that point, enough may realize there needed to be some guardrails. Right now alot of our fans are drunk with the idea that this all helps us, but they will be the first to turn when things don't go our way in the brave new world.
Sadly, all this is true. This money will change lives for many, but will end lives for some. Just like winning the lottery. It's so sad but predictable that the adults in charge let it get to this Wild West point without coming up with a fair solution. I'm afraid many small school and non revenue sports will be the sacrificial lamb.

I don't like what's happening to college sports either, but realize my nostalgia for the good ole days (which mostly never were) does not justify the bosses walking away with all the dough. I do realize a free college education and the perks are very valuable, but once the crazy mega millions entered the game that was not enough. Should have figured out revenue sharing long ago.

My main moral concern is the many, many fans who are eager to donate the kids lunch money so the quarterback can have private jet service (which just happened at Ole Miss I believe) but don't have two nickels for starving kids or local education. It's all a sad, sorry mess.

How come we never hear the activists--and this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them.
I don’t know what you were going for here… but it didn’t come off well.

It was ok though for Saban to make 11 mil/year while his under the table paid players made him look good though.

Saban is nothing but an egotistical bitch! Ask him why did he cut bait in Miami after 1 season.

Told you guys a couple of months ago, he was the one behind the NCAA pushing for our investigation. But, no one wanted to believe me. 🤷

Why does the fact that they are black matter? Ed O'Bannon was a black activist ? Education never mattered to them?
Would it bother you if Steve Bannon had started this push?
Yep that's a shockingly racialized post, which is why I didn't quote it even though it was in answer to me. There's only one color in all this mess, and that's green.

I don't like what's happening to college sports either, but realize my nostalgia for the good ole days (which mostly never were) does not justify the bosses walking away with all the dough. I do realize a free college education and the perks are very valuable, but once the crazy mega millions entered the game that was not enough. Should have figured out revenue sharing long ago.
There’s the whole issue in 3 sentences. The NCAA and schools created this monster by hiding behind the veil of amateur student athletes while looking the other way as they raked in billions since the 80s.

Hogs get slaughtered.

It was ok though for Saban to make 11 mil/year while his under the table paid players made him look good though.

Saban is nothing but an egotistical bitch! Ask him why did he cut bait in Miami after 1 season.

Told you guys a couple of months ago, he was the one behind the NCAA pushing for our investigation. But, no one wanted to believe me. 🤷
Nick Saban Might be the kid in school who does something then .
When another kid does something back they run to the teacher.
The teacher being Congress their the ones that has to make it better for everyone if they can. @volsfan24017

Sidenote I sometimes like to give all posting a like in a thread that I start.
Ones I like And oneS I don't.
Like doesn't approve of what there saying but thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Being critical of players, many who grew up in poverty, on food stamps , in bad neighborhoods, wanting money as soon as they can get it isn’t a good look for the filthy rich Saban family who made it all on the backs of these kids.

Nick & Terry have said their piece. They need to move away for awhile.

Yep that's a shockingly racialized post, which is why I didn't quote it even though it was in answer to me. There's only one color in all this mess, and that's green.
DO not think they want a NIL where a every University has a chance to win national championships. That being Nick Saban but to keep their competitive advantage that teams like Alabama had.
Can Congress made a fair playing for All teams and help students not have a credit card or a loan to pay off after college and a little spreading money in college.

Totally agree, in fact I've been trying to educate people on the power of Congress here and the fact that they are the only ones who can really set any enforceable rules because it is their laws (the Antitrust laws) that the courts have ruled are being violated and only Congress can change them. That said, I think there is a big difference between what Congress CAN do and what Congress WILL do. I am not optimistic they are going to do anything this year. I think eventually they will do a partial/conditional Antitrust exemption for college athletics which puts some enforceable rules in place provided that there is significant revenue sharing and that will end the "Wild West" period, but I think we've probably got another year of the Wild West at least. Saving women's sports and the non-revenue sports will be the primary driver of compromise, along with probably some horror stories that will emerge of students being taken advantage of by unscrupulous collectives. This train is going to have to get pretty far off the tracks, farther than it even is now before people realize action needs to be taken.
AGREEMENT Congress is the only ones with a chance to fix this NIL
If they do it right courts might leave it stand and they should if it's Constitution

So, I'm sorry if this is stupid, but doesn't it seem strange how this is going down? The NCAA comes after Tennessee, the states of Tennessee and Virginia stop them dead in court, so they say the only way to make their case is through Congress. They tried that once and Congress didn't want anything to do with it--Congress wasn't about to give them an anti-trust exemption. Now, all of a sudden, Nicky shows up and Senator Cruz says there's a 50/50 chance? If successful, will this give the NCAA ammo to circle around and come back after Tennessee and others (not Bama, of course!). It just seems strange he's making the rounds in Washington, being buddies with Joe Manchin, probably Tuberville, et al. I don't know, the whole thing smells like fish. And of course, Saban touts Bryce Young's NIL deals (implying the Gumps did things the right way).

AGREEMENT Congress is the only ones with a chance to fix this NIL
If they do it right courts might leave it stand and they should if it's Constitution
Yeah, the Constitution shouldn't figure in, the rulings to date have not implicated the Constitution, and it's pretty well established that Congress can grant exemptions.

Reactions: mudcat1973
Saban didn’t complain when he had to replace multiple members of his staff almost ever year. Saban’s 5 star players got a bunch of 2 star coaches paid

Your comment is absurd. The players are full-time students. The coach is a private employee with many years of high-level experience. Big difference. The student-athletes are getting a free college education plus numerous other benefits--all worth a lot of money, probably close to $50K a year. How come we never hear the activists--and this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them. It's always about the free cash--and now this nonsense has infected everybody--including privileged basketball players at Dartmouth and swimmers. It's also influenced judges, who've bought into this ludicrous idea that the student-athletes are soooo put upon. NIL in recruiting is wrong, corrupt and should be outlawed--period. NIL for current student-athletes is a good thing, but keep it out of recruiting. Of course now that idiot schools have let the genie out of the bottle and the money-grubbers are all licking their jobs, it will be hard to put back in.
The overwhelming majority of the college athletes that receive a scholarship to play football will never play a snap of professional football. You are correct, they are receiving a free college education but do you really believe the school values them more for their brains or ability to play football? Let's face it, most of these guys do not possess the same level of intelligence like a Josh Dobbs or Grant Williams. Don't get me wrong, they need to graduate, receive a degree, and most need to prepare for life after college football. The "wrong" as you say it has been going on for decades with bagmen and shady recruiting practices. NIL at least puts it out in the open. Oh yeah, What in the world are you trying to say about black activists? Lulz!

Last edited:
You really think Saban was the only guy paying players under the table? All NIL has done is brought what occurred under the table above the table.

If you listen to the various comments he's made since he retired, what really seemed to wear him out was having to re-recruit many of his own players each offseason because of the Portal. And honestly, I get it. NFL coaches don't even have to do that. Especially if you are 72 years old, have won everything there is to win in the sport already, and have a gigantic pile of money.

No, I realize others were paying players; however it seems that Saban & Alabama have been more prolific at it over the years. That to me, is fairly obvious. Saban won with better talent, (Top 2 every year) and was willing to pay for it, and never really worried about what anyone thought; including the ncaa. List the games that Saban won with inferior talent. I'll wait a minute.

So, the arms race where Alabama built incredible facilities, paid millions for coaches and generated hundreds of millions for the school was OK, but now that the absurd cloak of amateurism that they hid behind has dropped, the world is ending.

Go find a good course Nick and stop yelling at clouds.

THANK YOU!

Your comment is absurd. The players are full-time students. The coach is a private employee with many years of high-level experience. Big difference. The student-athletes are getting a free college education plus numerous other benefits--all worth a lot of money, probably close to $50K a year. How come we never hear the activists--and this BS about paying the players was started by black activists, mostly--talk about the value of a free college education? Because education never meant much too them. It's always about the free cash--and now this nonsense has infected everybody--including privileged basketball players at Dartmouth and swimmers. It's also influenced judges, who've bought into this ludicrous idea that the student-athletes are soooo put upon. NIL in recruiting is wrong, corrupt and should be outlawed--period. NIL for current student-athletes is a good thing, but keep it out of recruiting. Of course now that idiot schools have let the genie out of the bottle and the money-grubbers are all licking their jobs, it will be hard to put back in.
Glad the racism finally came out explicitly. It ain't only black players pushing hard for NIL money and the now unionized Darthmouth men's team have white and black players who generally play 4 years, graduate and go on to non-basketball jobs.

Most folks trace the NIL push to a 2000 lawsuit by Ed O'Bannon, who was black, but his claim that he had a right to earn $ on name and image had nothing to do civil rights activism. Two white basketball players--the Cavendish sisters-- paved the way for NIL right after the Supreme court ruling and then a subsequent court action which led to a "negotiation" which has set the current NIL rules.

You seem unaware that many grad students at major universities also get their tuition waived but they also get paid for the teaching and research work they do. Athletes are no less employees of a University who help generate vast amounts of revenue, particularly in men's b-ball and Of course football. March madness and the promotional $ that surround is kinda dependent on the players. The whole dilemma with NIL is that the NCAA does not want to have to recognize their athletes as employees and the NIL is a means to circumvent that obligation but it has created a host of dilemmas and seems unsustainable. The courts are consistently finding that the athletes have a better legal position than the NCAA and at some point, something significant will have to change.

Rather than blaming athletes, Saban and Geno and the all rest should, if they had the guts, call out the NCAA.

Last edited:
No, I realize others were paying players; however it seems that Saban & Alabama have been more prolific at it over the years. That to me, is fairly obvious. Saban won with better talent, (Top 2 every year) and was willing to pay for it, and never really worried about what anyone thought; including the ncaa. List the games that Saban won with inferior talent. I'll wait a minute.
List the games any college coach has won with inferior talent. How many games has Kirby, or Urban, or Bobby Bowden, or Woody Hayes, or Bear Bryant won with inferior talent? Did they all run teams out there who were consistently less talented than the opponents they played?

In college, the good coaches almost always have superior talent on the field. That's the entire point. It's why the sport is so obsessive about recruiting.

2001 SECCG unfortunately.

I don't disagree with what he is saying but it is two faced given the fact that he has been the best in the nation at paying players and not getting caught for the last 15 years. He is a victim of his own creation. Now that everyone can do it and not have to hide it, it's no longer an advantage for him so he is taking his ball and going home.

Nick Saban tells Congress what wrong with NIL. Says "who ever pays most money gets best players and has best chance to win" he talks about freedom of transfer and how NIL is effecting all sports even sports that doesn't earn money.
Will Congress fix NIL or make it worst?
Nick Saban said his wife said( players don't care what they had to offer them. They just cure How much money their going to get.)
Nick Saban and wife have dinners for players that's where his wife got to talk to players.
Side note Im liking all on comments in this thread
Thanks for your input on this thread
Please baby Jesus, do NOT let the government anywhere near college football 🙏...

NEVER underestimate government's ability to totally ef up whatever it touches...

VN Store

Back