Nick Saban Retiring - CONFIRMED

So glad that we as a family dropped ESPN...I can imagine the love. I am, however, curious if Greg Shiano is high on there (ESPN) list for replacement, considering the love they had for him when Tennessee fans rejected him.

So glad that we as a family dropped ESPN...I can imagine the love. I am, however, curious if Greg Shiano is high on there (ESPN) list for replacement, considering the love they had for him when Tennessee fans rejected him.
So how do you plan on watching the UT games?

Reactions: OrangeInKy
Word is, Nick Saban's wife, whom he affectionately calls "Ms Terry," has an advanced case of Alzheimer's.

I just don't think Nick could see himself going out on the recruiting trail or spending 16-hour days in the facility when he could be with the woman he adores during her last lucid weeks or months.

And yes, I think he has been having the conversation with his AD for a while about this possibility, advising him to get his ducks in line because " my decision is coming." And I do think the AD did that, and can pull the trigger quickly with an offer. Getting the desired new coach to commit is the uncontrolled variable; could come today or tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little longer to convince Lanning or whoever to sign.

But it seems to have been Saban's gut that told him, "today's the day, this is the right time, I need to get home." In that sense, it was a 'sudden decision.' Just not an unexpected one.

Can't fault a man for that decision, if that is indeed how it played.

Word is, Nick Saban's wife, whom he affectionately calls "Ms Terry," has an advanced case of Alzheimer's.

I just don't think Nick could see himself going out on the recruiting trail or spending 16-hour days in the facility when he could be with the woman he adores during her last lucid weeks or months.

And yes, I think he has been having the conversation with his AD for a while about this possibility, advising him to get his ducks in line because " my decision is coming." And I do think the AD did that, and can pull the trigger quickly with an offer. Getting commitment is the uncontrollable variable; could come today or tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little longer to convince Lanning or whoever to sign.

But it seems to have been Saban's gut that told him, "today's the day, this is the right time, I need to get home." In that sense, it was a 'sudden decision.' Just not an unexpected one.

From a personal sense, Nick Saban has no reason to explain his decision. Frankly, it makes sense for him to step away and relax.

And yes, I think he has been having the conversation with his AD for a while about this possibility, advising him to get his ducks in line because " my decision is coming." And I do think the AD did that, and can pull the trigger quickly with an offer. Getting the desired new coach to commit is the uncontrolled variable; could come today or tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a little longer to convince Lanning or whoever to sign.

I sure hope that’s not true about his wife. That’s a horrible disease.

According to Mrs. Terry, she is not sick. Is Terry Saban Sick? Nick Saban Wife Health And Illness Update 2024

1704985623423.png

Completely awful if true. Devastating disease.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
So who do they replace him with? I read an article suggesting Kiffin, Lanning, Sark, Daboer, Norvell and Swinney. I think of those 6 Kiffin or Norvell are the most likely. Kiffin has complained about the resources he has at Ole Miss and Norvell has complained about the ACC in general. I think Swinney would be a bad hire personally. Daboer just got Washington into the NC game and Sark’s horns demolished Bama. TX is a great program in its own right. Lanning would be my next pick, but would Bama want Lanning over those two? I think their best hire is Kiffin. He knows the program, he would continue with the recruiting onslaught and he would have a better chance at winning the NC. Leaving after 4 years and returning Ole Miss to relevance and probably the best they are going to be is respectable IMO.
Only problem there is Bear, Jr. hates Kiffin. They will have to strike out on several other top candidates before Bear, Jr. O.K.'s Kiffin.

Saban was smart to retire now as he saw the writing on the wall. He knew he could not retire in peace knowing he had a losing record against Coach Heupel!

Saban left because the sports changing, and more will do the same as they see the sport they loved fall apart. Visits used to be about seeing the campus and facilities, now it’s you go into a backroom and a glorified shakedown happens where a recruit says this is how much these guys are offering, how much can you offer. It’s no longer about connections and building relationships with the coaches, it’s just about who offers the most money. What’s even worse is that I hear some of these visits don’t even have real family, just like a stepdad who the kids known for 36 months who’s telling the kid what he wants to hear and that he should follow the money, hoping to get some himself. It just some nightmarish stuff, it’s why Kirby said he was getting burned out last year and this isn’t how it used to and is supposed to be. Not all change is good, and if it keeps changing this way the great coaches won’t stay around for much longer

Reactions: EastTNVol6240
Is there any chance we will not have to endure 30 AFLAC commercials during a game on the SEC network ?

Saban left because the sports changing, and more will do the same as they see the sport they loved fall apart. Visits used to be about seeing the campus and facilities, now it’s you go into a backroom and a glorified shakedown happens where a recruit says this is how much these guys are offering, how much can you offer. It’s no longer about connections and building relationships with the coaches, it’s just about who offers the most money. What’s even worse is that I hear some of these visits don’t even have real family, just like a stepdad who the kids known for 36 months who’s telling the kid what he wants to hear and that he should follow the money, hoping to get some himself. It just some nightmarish stuff, it’s why Kirby said he was getting burned out last year and this isn’t how it used to and is supposed to be. Not all change is good, and if it keeps changing this way the great coaches won’t stay around for much longer

I think it is part of it. I don't think it is 100% the reason. His age and health play a factor as well. Without the changes, I do think he may have been tempted to stay a little longer but I knew he was in the twilight of his career. I thought he perhaps had 2-3 years left.

Frankly, this Alabama team isn't as good as his past teams from a talent perspective as well. It kind of reminds me of Fulmer's downfall in that sure Fulmer had great classes even in 2000s but the players just were not living up to the stars. Frankly, this actually is pretty common with most dynasties, the top classes are not what they bill or the players are not team players. Once you lose that core group, you just cannot recapture the same level of success. Take Urban Meyer's Florida (he left before it got bad), Pete Carroll's USC, LSU on several occassions, etc.

What made Saban remarkable is that he kept it going time after time after time. No other coach seemed to be able to do that. Curious to see if Georgia can keep their magic going.

Whats weird is he was interviewing wide receiver coaches then retired.

Yeah, this makes absolutely ZERO sense. If you know you are going to retire, you „reschedule“ the interview and let the next guy handle it. Only rational reason otherwise would be if the candidate had actually flown in for an in person interview instead of remote. Then you really have no choice.
Still, this is an indication that the decision was finalized very recently.

VN Store

Back