Nick Kyrgios

MphsBlues

Aussie tennis player, but you don't have to be a tennis fan to understand how much of a tool-bag this dude is. He is a plague to sport. It's bad enough he played Stan Wawrinka, one of the nicest guys on tour, and told him during the match that Koukkinakis had 'banged your girlfriend..'that wasn't even close to the beginning of his douchebaggery..

How Nick Kyrgios became tennis' number one bad boy | Daily Mail Online

Thoughts?

I liked this kid's game and attitude up until recently. It's now become a tired act. A lot of people have spoken out about this run in with Wawrinka so maybe this will be a wake up call for Kyrgios. Lots to like about his game though. He's going to alienate himself in the locker room much like Soderling did.

Yep. After about the third time I saw him I looked at my wife and said 'This kid has star potential.' It should be interesting what they do to him for this Wawrinka bit. They were saying up to a three year suspension.
What was it that Soderling did? We knew he didn't have many friends and all that, but figured it was just his stand-offishness that did it - like Steffi. Did he do something specifically?

Kyrgios' brother went on a radio show for Tennis Australia and made some vile comments about a 19 year old girl, but didn't specify by name, I don't think. Then he doubled-down and posted it on facebook. When they got to Cincinnati this week, the tournament wouldn't let the brother in on credentials alone. He had to buy a ticket to get in.

Yep. After about the third time I saw him I looked at my wife and said 'This kid has star potential.' It should be interesting what they do to him for this Wawrinka bit. They were saying up to a three year suspension.
What was it that Soderling did? We knew he didn't have many friends and all that, but figured it was just his stand-offishness that did it - like Steffi. Did he do something specifically?

I don't think he did anything in particular. He was just aloof and stand offish as you say. I know Rafa spoke about how Soderling wasn't well liked in the locker room. Soldering went out of his way to be unfriendly is how I took it.

However, in interviews, Soderling has always come across to me as pretty funny. Last I heard he was running a pro tournament in Sweden. Seemed down to earth.

I don't think he did anything in particular. He was just aloof and stand offish as you say. I know Rafa spoke about how Soderling wasn't well liked in the locker room. Soldering went out of his way to be unfriendly is how I took it.

However, in interviews, Soderling has always come across to me as pretty funny. Last I heard he was running a pro tournament in Sweden. Seemed down to earth.

That was the way Graf did it. Then, Renee Stubbs walked straight up to her and stuck her hand out and said 'Hi, I'm Renee.' She was sick of her stand-offishness. They became fast friends and to this day, Renee says that Steffi, once you are her friend, is the most loyal friend you will ever have.
This would probably hold true with Soderling, as well - my guess. I can never erase from my memory the match point he won against Nadal in the French open semi - for some reason, Soderling won it but showed humility by raising his arms and pushing them away and down as if to say 'this was a fluke.'
Hopefully, his comeback is working, but I doubt it is or I would have heard about it. Mono is a biatch.

That was the way Graf did it. Then, Renee Stubbs walked straight up to her and stuck her hand out and said 'Hi, I'm Renee.' She was sick of her stand-offishness. They became fast friends and to this day, Renee says that Steffi, once you are her friend, is the most loyal friend you will ever have.
This would probably hold true with Soderling, as well - my guess. I can never erase from my memory the match point he won against Nadal in the French open semi - for some reason, Soderling won it but showed humility by raising his arms and pushing them away and down as if to say 'this was a fluke.'
Hopefully, his comeback is working, but I doubt it is or I would have heard about it. Mono is a biatch.

Mono ain't THAT much of a beeyotch. I have always thought the mono explanation was fishy.

Aussie tennis player, but you don't have to be a tennis fan to understand how much of a tool-bag this dude is. He is a plague to sport. It's bad enough he played Stan Wawrinka, one of the nicest guys on tour, and told him during the match that Koukkinakis had 'banged your girlfriend..'that wasn't even close to the beginning of his douchebaggery..

How Nick Kyrgios became tennis' number one bad boy | Daily Mail Online

Thoughts?

I'll be in the minority here, but I liked it. The players on tour today are too friendly with each other. I like the fact that Kyrgios is brash and super competitive such that he would lose his filter in the heat of the moment like that.

At the end of a doubles match I played in HS that had gotten really contentious and had involved a substantial number of instances of headhunting the net player with shots*.

So we won the match and we're shaking hands at the end of it, and I look one of the players on the opposing team -- and this guy was a bit big-boned, we might say -- right in the eye as I'm shaking his hand and say "Fatty Bombalatty".

I still have no idea how that came out of my mouth, but when I saw the Kyrgios thing, it reminded me of that moment. I was just so fired up and into it that I guess my subconscious brain felt that a direct insult needed to be given. And I think that's roughly what Kyrgios did.

And I think I turned out okay, and so I think Kyrgios will be fine too.

P.S. Apparently Kyrgios and Stan nearly came to blows in the locker room.

*And I even intentionally drilled a first serve at the net guy. I never missed my second serve anyway, so it was totally worth it.

In a college match against our main rival my freshman year, I beat their very good but very cocky 5 seed in singles. He ran his mouth the entire time, but I thumped him.

A few weeks later, we go to their place for the rematch. Start out with doubles (with one player being the 5 seed I beat on our courts). My partner wasn't up to the level of everyone else on the court. The rival team head-hunted and connected on my partner at least 5 times in a match that wasn't even close. They were high-fiving one another and openly laughing about pegging partner.

After they won, I refused to shake hands at the net. My partner went to shake hands and I said "what are you doing? These guys were taking shots at you the entire match. Don't shake their hands." I've head-hunted and been head-hunted before, but this was over the line. They were picking on a player that couldn't defend himself and trying to hurt him. Whatever.

Then over in the area where the teams sat one of the guys that had just beaten us came up behind me and hit me with his racquet in the back. Called me some names and asked why I was such a poor sport. Ok, wait, what? I turned around and the dude was like 6'5" 280 pounds. I was 5'9" 125. I told the guy "you know what you did" hoping he wouldn't put me in the camel clutch or something. The coaches luckily (for me) step in and keep the dude from killing me. Then I got disciplined by my coach for being a poor sport and not shaking hands.

Good times.

VN Store

Back