Nichols visit starts tonight...

But back to the topic what are our chances of getting a commit after this weekend?

My original thought was not great...I've felt Nichols wants to honor his scheduled visit to Auburn. They're not a serious player and they know it, but it's out of favor and think he wants to honor it. Also, he has wanted to announce on ESPNU, it's something he's always wanted to do...so it'd be hard I think to say Saturday, CCM I'm committing, and be able to announce that on TV...unless ESPN letting him announce at halftime or something...

However, Rob Lewis is saying this morning don't be surprised if a committment comes out of this weekend...so TIFWIW

My original thought was not great...I've felt Nichols wants to honor his scheduled visit to Auburn. They're not a serious player and they know it, but it's out of favor and think he wants to honor it. Also, he has wanted to announce on ESPNU, it's something he's always wanted to do...so it'd be hard I think to say Saturday, CCM I'm committing, and be able to announce that on TV...unless ESPN letting him announce at halftime or something...

However, Rob Lewis is saying this morning don't be surprised if a committment comes out of this weekend...so TIFWIW

Did Rob mean that in the context of an announcement soon after this weekend, or as an end result of the visit itself?

I'll assume he means an announcement, since Rob is on record as saying we seem to be firm leaders in his opinion.

Did Rob mean that in the context of an announcement soon after this weekend, or as an end result of the visit itself?

I'll assume he means an announcement, since Rob is on record as saying we seem to be firm leaders in his opinion.

Yea meaning we could hear him announce his commitment during or shortly after his visit...much like with hubbs.

My point is John Martin singularly does not represent the term "Memphis Media" in BTO's quote. BTO is stretching the truth, misrepresenting facts, lying, etc., to embellish Nichols' perceived historical importance in order to "supersize" the "get" if he commits to UT.

"faithful" and "minions" are not necessarily biblical words, religious cult type references (funny!). They may be in the eyes of the beholder (you). Troll? why would I troll? Said repeatedly, I come here for recruiting info from BTO.

In the event that Nichols commits to Tennessee, why do you care what value we place on the commitment on a UT Board?

Memphis media is crazy.

Does Memphis want Nichols? Yup, they sure do. Yet they have never been a serious player for Nichols till the last couple months. Unlike an Adonis Thomas that Memphis recruited for four years.

Not sure how Nichols can be an important Memphis recruit when Memphis doesn't even have him on priority #1. Nick King has been priority #1. Getting Nick King would have been a bigger statement than Austin Nichols.
I agree 100%!!!!!

Honestly, I'm not interested in debating the English language, and your attempt to do so seems like a poor, half-witted attempt to deflect attention from the fact that you indeed misrepresented the ACTUAL truth in an effort to strengthen your argument, implicitly or explicitly.

First, there is no argument. I didn't "misrepresent" anything, and if I confused you, I clarified my statement. There is no further issue to discuss as to where Skal currently attends school or will in the future.

Second, you are the one that criticized my understanding of the word "implicit". If you don't want to be corrected, then don't bring it up in the first place.

Word. Nichols is a private school Memphis area recruit, private schoolers are notorious for leaving the city.

Stokes is the first Memphis public schooler to go to UT for a looong time. I'm not counting Dane.

Stokes opened the door for UT to recruit Nichols, JW3, King, Crawford. I don't think Nichols would afford the same recruiting advantages. Stokes was the bigger deal.
Yeah!!!!!!Stokes was the first ,he is the bridge,that pipeline that all Memphis recruits can now walk across with NO FEAR!!!!! I hope we get Nichols because that would be a major statement!!!!!

First, there is no argument. I didn't "misrepresent" anything, and if I confused you, I clarified my statement. There is no further issue to discuss as to where Skal currently attends school or will in the future.

Where does he attend school currently?

That's my point, perception in Memphis and nationally is UT got Stokes solely because Memphis didn't have room.

I've said, if Memphis had a scholarship for Stokes, then I agree stokes is the bigger pull.

But when is the last time a 5* recruit legitimately picked UT over Memphis with all things being equal?

It doesn't just speak about Memphis recruiting, but duke/unc as well...typically private school kids leave Memphis...maybe Nichols sets a new precedent an shows some private school kids a new option.
I don't think we need to worry about Memphis & their scholarship situation, they need to worry about ours!!!! We are not there yet but CCM has us headed in the right direction

I believe what Nichols father is doing is keeping his sons choice secret. I don't believe he is implying anything as far as where Austin goes. He is saying Austin had fun in Memphis trip but isn't concerned about people cheering him and he wants to know how his son will fit into a different system then what he has normally played.

His questions about the UT offense not fitting his sons style are valid as Tennessee didn't show much of their offensive game planning last season because of the shortened time CCM had with the team before the season started. It is up to CCM to now point out what his offense will be like and how Austin fits in it like every other coach will do.

I believed all along that CCM built a good relationship with Nichols and he was basically a lock to come here especially with his twin sister here, but Duke is always a wild card and it wouldn't shock me if he went there also. I believe it is between Tennessee and Duke at this point and everything else is just Austin having fun with the recruiting process.

Just curious BTO, but how do you know this? I looked on twitter and didn't see anything. Thanks for keeping us updated though!

Been reading the board for a while but never posted. I appreciate BTO's info. I was a longtime poster (10 years) on Volquest until this past year.

I have been reading all of this Memphis/Nichols/UT stuff and feel like I am qualified to comment as I grew up in Memphis and have degrees from both universities. I agree that a commitment from a Memphis public school guy is bigger than a private schooler, but it doesn't matter. Nichols is a huge get no matter who is after him. Memphis can get a bad rap from TN people, but I don't know how many people realize that there are ALOT of UT fans in the Memphis area. Since I was in school in the late 90's and early 2000's, I believe that Shelby County residents have made up about 7-8% of the school's undergraduate population. Pretty high for being 6 hours away.

I can say this about John Martin. He is a graduate of Memphis, so thus, he has a bias. I would like for him to not be as biased now that he writes for The Commercial Appeal. It is one thing to write for a Tiger site, but a whole other to write for an unbiased paper. I will never forget him being on Parrish's radio show this past year, and he has spoken all year about recruiting. One time after a Cuonzo Martin interview, he was asked if UT would get any of the Top 5 recruits in Memphis, and he said no. Then, later he got into an argument with Parrish about who was a better player- Hubbs or Jujuan Johnson, and he said Johnson. This was before Johnson parted ways with Memphis. Martin can get good info, but when it comes to UT, he isn't going to give you anything good.

Just food for thought.

Also I don't know if this has came up or is even relevant, but didn't Jw3's dad say something like he didn't hear anything form UT in two weeks? Well wasn't that when the Nichols rumors came up? Just a thought.

Alright thanks for the info!

UT bound. Haven't been worried for months. I don't see a verbal this weekend though. The kid has went out of his way to keep this a surprise and debunked a ton of stuff saying he's leaning one way or comitting another way because he wants his tv time just like any other top recruit. He for sure deserves it but will be balling it up in K Town next year.

UT bound. Haven't been worried for months. I don't see a verbal this weekend though. The kid has went out of his way to keep this a surprise and debunked a ton of stuff saying he's leaning one way or comitting another way because he wants his tv time just like any other top recruit. He for sure deserves it but will be balling it up in K Town next year.

If there isn't a verbal this weekend, I think that means that it's more wide open than people think (me included). I'm half-expecting him to commit before he leaves Knoxville. If he doesn't, it means UT doesn't have him as locked up as once believed.

If there isn't a verbal this weekend, I think that means that it's more wide open than people think (me included). I'm half-expecting him to commit before he leaves Knoxville. If he doesn't, it means UT doesn't have him as locked up as once believed.

I addressed this, but you didn't respond.

He wants to honor the visit to auburn, and he wants to announce on ESPNU...if he does a spur of the moment committment he can't do that. Also, his family has said in the past no emotional decisions will be made, meaning probably not committing on a visit.

He's still going to Auburn. He won't be announcing anything this weekend. Still will be a Vol. The end.

VN Store

Back