Nice! Can he catch a football?

Think this is correct. Must be on a football scholly to play football...gone are the days of guys on track schollies playing in Neyland.

The is why Todd Helton was the GOAT walk-on Baseball player in UT history.

Football Scholarship Players can walk-on to any other sport, but the reverse is not true.

Reactions: 1 person
Several over the years. Not Gatlin tho. His sprinting contemporary tho, Leonard Scott.

BTW, that kid looks really good on film. Good skills not just speed IMO.

Richmond Flowers, Chip Kell, Karl Kremser, Willie Gault, Anthony Hancock, and many others. Football players have been on the track team for a long time. Chuck Rohe and Doug Dickey started recruiting combination track athletes/football players.

Rohe Track Era

Sam Graddy was a UT sprinter that played football as a wide receiver his senior year. He didn't catch a pass for Tennessee, but he played in the NFL for the Raiders.

Track guys scare me a little. Josh Smith caught the ball his freshman year better than Leonard Scott did his whole career.

Great sprinters rarely make great wide receivers. Bob Hayes did it... I don't know if anybody else has come close. Herschel Walker was a great sprinter and a great FOOTBALL player. Gault had (actually has... he's setting age group world sprint records) world class speed, was a great deep threat and kick returner, but had very average hands.

Ya. But he was a football player first and foremost

Hunter is probably a better long jumper than football player, but football pays better.

Although he had a very good junior season, I don't think that Hunter as a receiver has returned to the level where he was before his knee was destroyed at Florida in 2011.

Great sprinters rarely make great wide receivers. Bob Hayes did it... I don't know if anybody else has come close. Herschel Walker was a great sprinter and a great FOOTBALL player. Gault had (actually has... he's setting age group world sprint records) world class speed, was a great deep threat and kick returner, but had very average hands.

Well, kinda by definition "great" sprinters are rare enough in the first place. Then we have to juxtapose what qualifies as a "great" WR with that criteria.

The only guy besides Hayes that comes to mind that was really THAT fast and also a genuinely legit WR is Cliff Branch.

Well, kinda by definition "great" sprinters are rare enough in the first place. Then we have to juxtapose what qualifies as a "great" WR with that criteria.

The only guy besides Hayes that comes to mind that was really THAT fast and also a genuinely legit WR is Cliff Branch.

Maybe a better analogy would be guys that were great (or very good) sprinters FIRST that decided to try big time football. Renaldo Nehemiah is another that didn't pan out switching to a football career. He cashed in with the 49ers, but wasn't around very long.

Or even better, not many that were first very good sprinters became good or better than average receivers. However, it doesn't hurt to put a speed threat on the field running deep routes to disrupt the defense even if they never touch the ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe a better analogy would be guys that were great (or very good) sprinters FIRST that decided to try big time football. Renaldo Nehemiah is another that didn't pan out switching to a football career. He cashed in with the 49ers, but wasn't around very long.

Hmmm, Hayes might actually be the only really good example of that happening.

If I remember correctly Richmond Flowers was the person that got the NCAA looking into the rules on the scholarships. He was a 3 time All-American on our track team. Ran the hurdles. Missed the world record by 1/10th of a second. But best of all, his dad was the Attorney General of.......Alabama. Yeah

VN Store

Back