Neyland Stadium becoming more annoying (my thoughts)

madbamahater

I AM NOT an old-fogy so don't bash me for being out of touch. I am 33 years old and I grew up on hip-hop and pop culture, which I enjoy still to this day. But, it has it's time and place and can be rather annoying when it is OVER-DONE!!

I know that keeping up with the times and changing is necessary to a degree but there is a difference when old white dudes (Hart and Cheek) don't know the difference between being "cool" and out of touch really means.

Every single time there was a break in play, a time out, a critical point in the game last Saturday I noticed both bands trying to get into the action and atmosphere. Only to be completely drowned out by "throw your hands in the air if you ain't never scared"

I mean every once in a while is okay. Pre-game, the occasional tv time-out, etc.

But we have one of the largest and most recognizable bands in the entire country. Laugh all you want, but UTs band is one of the reasons we are so recognizable and every sports fan knows us by Rocky Top. The team doesn't play Rocky Top, the band does.

It is college football, NOT the damn Titans. If I wanted to go to a concert with overly loud blaring annoying music, I would go to a Titans game. Part of why people enjoy college games is the atmosphere and pageantry.

This coupled with the fact that cell phones do not work in Neyland Stadium are driving people away. This isn't just me *****ing about it. This is what I hear from tons of people in the stands. The "crunk" "hype" pre-recorded music isn't getting ANYONE more involved.

I would bet that 99% of our fan base would rather hear Rocky Top and our other fight songs over hearing "throw your hands in the air if you ain't never scared" . It's true!!

Reactions: 85 people
1yp.gif

Reactions: 26 people
For the record, people enjoy Titans games just fine seeing how they've sold out every game ever...

Reactions: 8 people
I was at the game and the music got the teamed hyped up and they hyped up the fans in the 3rd quarter when you could feel the energy being sapped out of the crowd. A band sitting in the stands opposite our team isn't going to do that. Sorry. It isn't. It is just the time we live in. You may want something but clearly- our TEAM responds differently. And whatever gets them fired up to be put in a position to WIN THE GAME (WHICH THEY DID) is fine by me.

And it was not as often as you claim here. You are being overly sensitive.

But you are right about the cellphones. I was pissed I couldn't get any data connection lol.

Reactions: 17 people
cell phone coverage is one of the most confusing complaints for me. Can't be part of the "atmosphere and pageantry" if you're staring at a 4" screen

Reactions: 31 people
IMO if your worried about your cell phone working in neyland then your there for the wrong reason. Sure it would be nice but that's not gonna keep me from going

Reactions: 7 people
I can't personally comment on the atmosphere at Neyland. However I can sympathise with the OP. When I went to see the Notre Dame Navy game last year one of the things I really wanted to see and hear was the band. Sure ND's band is chewing gum on the shoe of the POTSB, but nevertheless it is what makes college so special in my view, the fact that traditions like bands have survived. To think that lots of pre recorded music is played instead of or even over our band is disgusting. When I come to Neyland, I want constant fight songs and cheering. I want to leave the stadium with little or no voice. God I hope the OP is lying.

Reactions: 19 people
Cell phones don't work because you're in a giant concrete bowl. Should they put a cell tower on top of neyland? Get off your phones and enjoy the game.

Also, I agree with your sentiment. There is a balance between the band and prerecorded music that should be kept.

Reactions: 7 people
cell phone coverage is one of the most confusing complaints for me. Can't be part of the "atmosphere and pageantry" if you're staring at a 4" screen

Haha those are very conflicting ideas for the OP.

I was particularly annoyed because I was wanting to send pics to some friends throughout the game. I had seats right behind the SC bench and had some neat pictures.

But it wasn't a big deal. I ended up just sending them afterwards.

Ever since Hart switched UT to the Straight Talk plan to save a few bucks things just haven't been the same.....

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back