Neyland re-sodding underway

It only takes 6 weeks for the root system to be fully established, with proper irrigigation and fertilizer in the soil of course. So that is definitely not the issue. All natural grass playing fields are re-sodded annually.

Seems that we had overcome the slick surface and it could have work as a home field advantage.

Nah, something had to be done. I'm glad UT stepped up before the SEC or the NCAA did something official.

Jump higher Vols.

The whole issue of a treacherous sod on our playing field is an inexcusable shame. I know nothing of the technicalities of the matter, but; we have one of the greatest and most renowed colleges of agriculture in the country at UTK. In case the Neyland Stadium Facility Manager wants to know.....it is just down Alcoa Hwy, across the Tennessee River from the main campus. Any good junior or senior Plant and Soil Science major could analyze the soil in Neyland, prescribe the nutrient regimen and watering needs, and in just a few weeks provide a sturdy sod for sports footing. We, the TN tax payers and Vol Supporters are paying the monetary bills for this mess
A mess that we, easily, have the means to correct.

Reactions: 1 person
The whole issue of a treacherous sod on our playing field is an inexcusable shame. I know nothing of the technicalities of the matter, but; we have one of the greatest and most renowed colleges of agriculture in the country at UTK. In case the Neyland Stadium Facility Manager wants to know.....it is just down Alcoa Hwy, across the Tennessee River from the main campus. Any good junior or senior Plant and Soil Science major could analyze the soil in Neyland, prescribe the nutrient regimen and watering needs, and in just a few weeks provide a sturdy sod for sports footing. We, the TN tax payers and Vol Supporters are paying the monetary bills for this mess
A mess that we, easily, have the means to correct.

I thought they were inside Neyland Dr across the railroad tracks from the main campus. I'm with you though; why not see what the in house experts have to say.

I thought they were inside Neyland Dr across the railroad tracks from the main campus. I'm with you though; why not see what the in house experts have to say.

With you Bro, absolutely. Use the best......and we have the best right here in Ktown. Boys and Girls this is Anatomical science question....not rocket or aeronautical scientific stuff. Use our own expertise.

There may be some that do it but I know LSU doesn't so it's not required. It just looks stupid to have a white line through the power T imo but like manning fan said it probably our OCD

Wrong. It's pretty easy to look up the rules before posting. A 2nd quick search would have produced the attached image which proves that LSU does, in fact, have a white line running through the eye of the tiger.

LSU.jpg

Edit: In before someone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about... you can download the NCAA 2015 rule book (the 2016 isn't out yet) at https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4387-2015-ncaa-football-rules-and-interpretations.aspx and look for yourself. The specific rule says "The entirety of all yard lines, goal lines, and sidelines must be clearly visible. No portion of any such line may be obscured by decorative markings."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I wondered the same thing about Nissan Stadium when they had the sprinkler issue during their Movie Night.

They know they're going to replace it after Fan Fest every year, why water the damn thing...especially in the spring when there's plenty rain?

You realize it's the Titans don't you? What do they do that makes sense? He'll monster jam is there in June.

Wrong. It's pretty easy to look up the rules before posting. A 2nd quick search would have produced the attached image which proves that LSU does, in fact, have a white line running through the eye of the tiger.

View attachment 110297

Edit: In before someone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about... you can download the NCAA 2015 rule book (the 2016 isn't out yet) at https://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4387-2015-ncaa-football-rules-and-interpretations.aspx and look for yourself. The specific rule says "The entirety of all yard lines, goal lines, and sidelines must be clearly visible. No portion of any such line may be obscured by decorative markings."

Ok well if what is required is what is in that picture and what I see at LSU every home game then we should do the same and make it "barely" visible. To me that is not clearly visible. We should paint the white line and then heavily paint orange over it like LSU does.

Sports fields are typically sodded or sprigged with Bermuda grass. Last year's field was Tifway 419. There are other strands such as Latitude 36 and Celebration used for sports fields but it boils down to, if you're going to sod, creating a base layer that resembles the sod. If they closely match it will take root.

When looking at the schedule this season there is no excuse for the field to not be top notch. Yes, 3 out of the 1st 4 games are home, but any semi-competent grounds-keeper should be able to pull this off. Then there is a stretch of 6 weeks where there is only 1 home game (Bama on Oct. 15). Again, any semi-competent grounds crew should be able to maintain a field with that schedule.

Boca, down in Florida I am sure Bermuda grass would be the preferred choice. Up here where temps can drop to the 30s and 40s at night, Bermuda grass turns brown quickly. Of all the grasses that grow here, it is the first to go dormant as winter approaches. And once that happens, it falls apart and doesn't grow back until it stays consistently warm.

Some High Schools here still use it, especially if it is in a low lying wet area. But if your field is going to be on television? You want it to look green as long as possible. So, more grass fields around here are going away from Bermuda grass.

If that is what they are using, no wonder it is falling apart. So, those of you who griped about it last year? Warm up your voices for another verse of the same song. Sometime after October 20. IF that is what they use this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Ok well if what is required is what is in that picture and what I see at LSU every home game then we should do the same and make it "barely" visible. To me that is not clearly visible. We should paint the white line and then heavily paint orange over it like LSU does.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that point. It seems we use a much more transparent paint than a lot of other schools. You can actually see a hint of green through our orange.

I'm not going to disagree with you on that point. It seems we use a much more transparent paint than a lot of other schools. You can actually see a hint of green through our orange.

I actually can't believe LSU has line thru theirs as I have never been able to see it with the naked eye. You are definitely right tho. 👍🏻

My yard was sodded with fescue and now Bermuda grass has taken over. It makes a nice soft playing surface for soccer and football with a nasty habit of turning brown but I consider it a darn weed. Have to use a systemic herbicide like Ornamec to control it but can't kill it unless you use Roundup and kill everything else too. Stripping it and resodding or burning it off is about the only choice. I hate the stuff. Pretty sure it survived the extinction event that killed the dinosaurs.

Reactions: 4 people
Boca, down in Florida I am sure Bermuda grass would be the preferred choice. Up here where temps can drop to the 30s and 40s at night, Bermuda grass turns brown quickly. Of all the grasses that grow here, it is the first to go dormant as winter approaches. And once that happens, it falls apart and doesn't grow back until it stays consistently warm.

Some High Schools here still use it, especially if it is in a low lying wet area. But if your field is going to be on television? You want it to look green as long as possible. So, more grass fields around here are going away from Bermuda grass.

If that is what they are using, no wonder it is falling apart. So, those of you who griped about it last year? Warm up your voices for another verse of the same song. Sometime after October 20. IF that is what they use this year.

You do realize Bermuda grass is used for fields as far north as Philly! The fields are over-seeded to keep them green. The old field (since 1994) was Tifway 419 Bermuda. The difference is it was sprigged, not sodded.

My yard was sodded with fescue and now Bermuda grass has taken over. It makes a nice soft playing surface for soccer and football with a nasty habit of turning brown but I consider it a darn weed. Have to use a systemic herbicide like Ornamec to control it but can't kill it unless you use Roundup and kill everything else too. Stripping it and resodding or burning it off is about the only choice. I hate the stuff. Pretty sure it survived the extinction event that killed the dinosaurs.

Technically, I think it is a weed. If it gets in your fescue, now it at the highest setting. Bermuda likes full sun so if you let the fesue grow high it will "help" choke it out.

Amen. Bermuda is nothing but a weed if you ask me. I had fescue sod put in 1.5 years ago and Bermuda started creeping in. Used Roundup this past fall. No Bermuda now but actual weeds have popped up in its place. The actual weeds look better than the Bermuda grass.

Amen. Bermuda is nothing but a weed if you ask me. I had fescue sod put in 1.5 years ago and Bermuda started creeping in. Used Roundup this past fall. No Bermuda now but actual weeds have popped up in its place. The actual weeds look better than the Bermuda grass.

It's the 1st part of May, so you can still use something like Scott's Weed & Feed. Don't buy the cheap crap! It will kill the weeds. You can aereate in the fall and re-seed/sod with fescue.

Hank Hill approves this thread.

hankhill.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
The problem is overuse. Dooley and fulmer hardly help practices in Neyland because they knew the turf would get roughed up. Butch coached at WV, CMU, and Cincy which all have artificial and he probably practiced on their fields a lot. I remember hearing a story of when butch got here he couldn't believe how many of the players hardly played or practiced in Neyland, so he started holding more practices in Neyland to get them accustomed to playing there. STOP HOLDING PRACTICES IN NEYLAND AND YOU WANT HAVE A PROBLEM!

The problem is overuse. Dooley and fulmer hardly help practices in Neyland because they knew the turf would get roughed up. Butch coached at WV, CMU, and Cincy which all have artificial and he probably practiced on their fields a lot. I remember hearing a story of when butch got here he couldn't believe how many of the players hardly played or practiced in Neyland, so he started holding more practices in Neyland to get them accustomed to playing there. STOP HOLDING PRACTICES IN NEYLAND AND YOU WANT HAVE A PROBLEM!

...awaiting the arrival of the grammar Taliban in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..

VN Store

Back