Neyland music

This. My son and I have been on a college football "tour of stadiums" the past couple of years (we experienced a slight pause last year due to some virus that's been going around but we plan to be back on track in 2021).

I'm die-hard Tennessee and he roots for Florida (sorry, I love him but he's an idiot sometimes). Regardless we both can enjoy Po-Dunk State vs. Nobody U. And we both agree, Neyland is near the bottom of the list.

Visit a night game somewhere like Lexington and the flippin' stadium is literally shaking from the music. Versus all we get in Neyland is the guitar intro to Paradise City and "iiiiiiiiittttsss tttthhhhiirrrrdddd doooooowwwwwwwnnnnnn!!!!!"...while Georgia State continues to make third down after third down.

Vanderbilt plays sandstorm until you want to throw up and Tuscaloosa is right there near the bottom of the list with a pretty lame repritore. Even with the president coming to down, they can't seem to bring much excitement beyond "ROLL TIDE".

In Gainsville they all belt out Tom Petty songs to the top of their lungs, at Auburn they play "All I Do Is Win" (awesome), and House of Pain bringing in the 4th quarter in Madison is incredible.

Compared to other places, Neyland is weak.

Do people really go to college football games to listen to the speakers?

Whatever they pipe over the system should be what gets the players hyped. Let the band handle the rest. This isn't the NFL.

There is pressure from somewhere to have the PA system on and loud when a play isn't happening (and sometimes they forget to hit the mute button until after the ball is snapped). There are times where it'd be nice to take a break from music, and just let the crowd roar carry the day, and let the Pride handle more of the chores.

I did kinda like that music they played with Tennessee Medical Center did their video. 10,000,000 slaves.

Last edited:
Reactions: vollygirl
Kashmir has run its course. Majority of students today dont have a clue what it is or Led Zeppelin

I have always thought that during the march to the stadium by the band. Have them stop as they get centered in the overpass. Have a bass section highlighted as they turn to face the stadium. Then develop a FAN FARE
representative of a gladiators march as played by the HERALD TRUMPETS...
There are already thousands of fans on the street below getting hyped to see the band and hear there beloved Rocky Top...then return with there treak down the hill for the exciting majorette routine..
If the right fan fare song is selected or composed by the Pride..
It just might get them really hyped even before the enter the stadium.

Wait. There's something wrong about the pre-game tradition because it doesn't fire up the crowd? Beginning when? Who says so? Allow the Pride of the Southland Band to play "Down the Field," "The Tennessee Waltz", and "Rocky Top" and watch the fans explode. Unlike the NFL, tradition has always meant something in college football. Interjecting the latest boy band recordings offers what? For me, doing so doesn't add anything, it cheapens the experience.

the POTSB pregame routine is, as Greg Glover says, unrivaled in college football. I hope they never change it. I have a CD of the pregame routine that I keep in my truck just to help me get fired up on a boring drive or to & from gameday tailgate....guess that's being ate up with it...:p

Half time shows and music throughout the game are a different story....IMO of course.

Reactions: feathersax
I've nailed the new playlist:
Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow - Fleetwood Mac
I've Been Down - Hank Jr.
Riding The Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
Down In A Hole - Alice In Chains
have a like for the Bocephus reference .... whenever I’m feeling particularly down , full of shame over a degenerate gambling episode or hungover , which all more and more seem to coincide , this is what goes through my head ..... “Blew my last twenty dollars on an oilers football game . I only lost by half a point , nothing ever goes my way “

Couldn’t work in any David Allan Coe?
Country deejays knows that I'm an outlaw
They'd never come to see me in this dive
Where bikers stare at cowboys who are laughing at the hippies
Who are praying they'll get outta here alive
The loud mouth in the corner's gettin' to me
Talking 'bout my earrings and my hair
I guess he ain't read the signs that say I been to prison
Someone ought to warn him 'fore I knock him off his chair
'Cause my long hair just can't cover up my red neck
I've won every fight, I've ever fought
Hey, I don't need some turkey telling me that I ain't country
And sayin' I ain't worth the damned ol' ticket that he bough

Reactions: Fightmaker
Cuz it was a buncha hooey! Boy howdy, don’t get me started!
I remember this older cat a few rows down from me in R would do this **** with his hands that I’m assuming he thought looked like whatever it was all the kids were doing but it was basically a sideways tomahawk chop . He had one of those sweet early 90’s UT jackets with the airbrushed Davy(David ) Crockett on the back if anybody remembers those .
1624675405193.jpeg

I really miss third down for what? Man that never got old . Any idea why they quit doing that one #GregAmsler? What in the tarnation??

Wasn't it some stupid crap about how the lyrics were disrespectful to women, or how Lil Jon was not an appropriate choice for a song played at games - part of that Title IX lawsuit levied against the university? Oh my gosh! The song's original lyrics, none of which are used at the game, are hostile! Oh dear. Society has moved on from such awful and misogynistic drivel. How dare you play such music! Inappropriate!

Of course, two years later, Turn Down For What was being used at NBA basketball games, on national ESPN NBA TV promos, at Alabama and a dozen other stadiums in college football. Not even the changed lyrics -- the original lyrics! Clearly, both it and Lil Jon were the scourge of our times. Clearly.

I swear. The most crowd-involved, awesome, original thing to come out of gamedays in Knoxville in a decade and we get kneecapped by our own people. Like we always do.

Reactions: Jravol78
lol ! I’ll never forget the first time my 91 y.o grandfather heard that 😂. I think it was the ‘99 season and mercifully IIRC that was the only season they did that .. he looked at me and said “What in the actual hell is this ****?”
Has to be the worst use of the speaker system ever. The howling noise was horrible! Yet for some reason it also makes me laugh when thinking about it.
Reading through this thread also made me think of how much I miss Bobby Denton. He could energize the crowd without music. Obviously everyone knows "It's football time in Tennessee" but I also loved "Stopped by Wilson and a HOST of Volunteers" or the way he emphasized a players last name after a big play. His best may have been "It's third down and the river." That brought the house down!
Good times!

Has to be the worst use of the speaker system ever. The howling noise was horrible! Yet for some reason it also makes me laugh when thinking about it.
Reading through this thread also made me think of how much I miss Bobby Denton. He could energize the crowd without music. Obviously everyone knows "It's football time in Tennessee" but I also loved "Stopped by Wilson and a HOST of Volunteers" or the way he emphasized a players last name after a big play. His best may have been "It's third down and the river." That brought the house down!
Good times!
when I was a kid I thought Bobby D & John Ward were the same person 😁.... anyone else? ?

Reactions: TheDirector
Wasn't it some stupid crap about how the lyrics were disrespectful to women, or how Lil Jon was not an appropriate choice for a song played at games - part of that Title IX lawsuit levied against the university? Oh my gosh! The song's original lyrics, none of which are used at the game, are hostile! Oh dear. Society has moved on from such awful and misogynistic drivel. How dare you play such music! Inappropriate!

Of course, two years later, Turn Down For What was being used at NBA basketball games, on national ESPN NBA TV promos, at Alabama and a dozen other stadiums in college football. Not even the changed lyrics -- the original lyrics! Clearly, both it and Lil Jon were the scourge of our times. Clearly.

I swear. The most crowd-involved, awesome, original thing to come out of gamedays in Knoxville in a decade and we get kneecapped by our own people. Like we always do.

Auburn played Turn Down for What back in 2013. You can hear it during a time-out just before the "kick-6."

I've nailed the new playlist:
Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow - Fleetwood Mac
I've Been Down - Hank Jr.
Riding The Storm Out - REO Speedwagon
Down In A Hole - Alice In Chains

Good job. Make sure they put higher safety rails around the top of the stadium's upper decks. Or out of sheer boredom, you should add that, "It's Raining Men" tune to the end of that list.

Piped in music sucks. TPOTS is awesome. Remove the constraints. Let loose their song selection and arrangements. Let them experiment with amplified guitars & keyboards in the stands. Let Tennessee music majors do their thing.

Reactions: Smokey X

VN Store

Back