Next yr starting 5

yes to open practices. Does Kellie ever have them? Also, I will be fascinated by even the pre-SEC games that are cupcakes and even the exhibition game to see how these players meld together, how the injured players are recovering mentally and physically, the substitution patterns, and to make a long story short their whole journey!!
Yep, will try to watch the Red Bull 3x, starting May 13, and will pay FloSports if they play in the Bahamas or wherever. Just can’t get enough of my Lady Vols!

Not sure why this is so important to you. It really doesn't matter to me who is faster, etc. I hope both players make a lot contributions toward wins, but I am entitled to my opinion and so are you. But the only opinion that really matters is Kelly's so its not worth debating this on here.

No problems, friend, just enjoying the discussion.

My two cents is if Franklin is good to go health wise she easily starts at 4 she is a baller. Against power 5 comp she was best player on court and will also play in Wnba. Jackson will star at 3 her position she will play in league. Key at 5 Powell Horston at Guards. Hollingshead first big off bench will play alot of minutes. The rest of the minutes will be a battle each day in practice who will work the hardest to get them. Puckett I do believe will be one she has that mentality. Backup guards and 3 spot it will shake out in practice. In CHRIST Alone

My two cents is if Franklin is good to go health wise she easily starts at 4 she is a baller. Against power 5 comp she was best player on court and will also play in Wnba. Jackson will star at 3 her position she will play in league. Key at 5 Powell Horston at Guards. Hollingshead first big off bench will play alot of minutes. The rest of the minutes will be a battle each day in practice who will work the hardest to get them. Puckett I do believe will be one she has that mentality. Backup guards and 3 spot it will shake out in practice. In CHRIST Alone
My guess is this is accurate. We will need to create offensive opportunities in transition and the offensive glass with that lineup. Minimal outside shooting so defenses will shrink the court and defend the paint with 5 players. But the talent in that lineup can work around that. And then when we get into sub rotations we will be able to roll shooters into lineups that give us more space to operate.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I too agree that projections of an undefeated season are hyperbolic. What the LVs have done is created a team that, on paper, looks they have both the depth and quality to compete with the elite programs. Last year, we were just a bit short on quality, particularly after Rae went down (but they made up for some offensive shortfalls through superhuman defensive efforts). The LVs depth was lacking and it took just a few injuries to knock the team from their tenuous grip on a top 5 ranking.

The enthusiasm reflects that via recruiting and the portal, the LVs appear to have redressed every weakness that impeded them last season (and we have an incoming group of very experienced sophomores to go along with the junior and seniors players.

Of course, the season will turn on on whether or not the team gels but that cliched warning to every team, every season. The LVs do have a lot of new additions and it might be a few weeks into the season before we really start to see what they can be.

That said, I am confident that Kellie and staff have not recruited willy nilly and have brought in players who they believe will buy into the team concept. These are not Holly's vols where the team devolved into a group of individuals, many of whom seemed to harbor animosity toward each other.

Your warning about high expectations being used to proclaim the team a disappointment is well taken. The troll crowd and the anti-Kellie types are likely queuing up for that. Let's say, the LVs finish 2nd to SC in the confernece and get beat in the elite 8. Realistically, that finish would be a forward step in the re-building process but this board will predictably meltdown if that were to be the outcome.

But, if you are looking at pre-season favorites to make a final 4s, assuming no injuries to key players (which we know is no guarantee), this LV should make the list. Recruiting success does raise hopes. On that point, Jordan Horston became "that player" before our eyes last season. I think she can be a Holdsclaw or Catching caliber game changing player next season, and she will be playing along side another game changer in Rickea, with the human block party guarding the paint and a quality 6-5 back-up post filling in the gaps. And now we have some added outside shooting threats and upgraded at PG. It would be disappointing if this team, as currently configured does not kick down that final four barrier next season. Now, that dissappointing outcome would not mean that Kellie has "failed"--the fact that she has raised the bar of expectations points to just the opposite conclusion. Rebuilding is a process. We seem to be getting ahead of schedule but fan dreams, expectations may indeed run a little ahead of the actual state of things.

Tennessee is the Only team in the country that can actually put out on the court 2 "Starting Fives" - Jordy, Rickea, Tamari, Sara and Jaz Powell could be the first 5. Jo Jo, Jillian, Marta, Jaz Franklin and Brooklyn, the second 5, which could actually compete in the conference as a starting 5 for another Team.

You still have Karoline, Tess, Kaiya and Justine ready to come in and get some minutes. We Literally have 14 players that it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that Any of them COULD start! Jessie and Edie will probably be limited with regards to minutes played. - (I can even see Edie taking a Red-Shirt next year).

Stanford and So Carolina have deep teams, as well, but not as deep as our Ladies. Maybe Texas, too, but again, not like us. There have been soooooooo many losses, transfers, coaching changes, etc. that have changed the college landscape amongst the top 15 to 25 teams. Maryland, UGA, AZ, Oregon, Michigan, Louisville, Indiana, NC ST., Baylor, LSU, Kentucky, Iowa, Oregon St., Ohio State, were All ranked teams going into the tournament this past season. And they ALL have experienced significant losses and changes. Yes, some of them added from the portal but they Had to do so just to stay relevant. We were going to be bringing back 8 players that played quality minutes last season, 4 of which were Starters. Add Marta returning from injury, a former SEC All Freshman Team member, and 2 freshmen, one of them a Mickey D AA, and this was Before the Portal additions that Kellie brought in.

Kellie has Every base covered and then some. The chemistry issue isn't really a concern for me because the players coming in are hungry. - (Rickea Jackson, as Great as she is, has Never played in an NCAA Tournament Game. That's unbelievable!)

Yes, I'm one of those that are touting an undefeated season, with SEC and National Championship finishes as a Great Possibility, and I really don't think that it's much of a stretch. We play road games at Texas and Stanford and at least a home game against So Carolina. We get ucant at home, as well. Without knowing the Entire schedule, those will be the toughest 4 games next season. I can see us winning each one of those, but would be satisfied with a 2-2 split, as long as ucant is one of them. The sheer depth of talent is why I have those expectations. NO ONE ELSE in the country can boast what we have. This could be a Historic Season on Rocky Top!
ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡

Tennessee is the Only team in the country that can actually put out on the court 2 "Starting Fives" - Jordy, Rickea, Tamari, Sara and Jaz Powell could be the first 5. Jo Jo, Jillian, Marta, Jaz Franklin and Brooklyn, the second 5, which could actually compete in the conference as a starting 5 for another Team.

You still have Karoline, Tess, Kaiya and Justine ready to come in and get some minutes. We Literally have 14 players that it wouldn't be too far-fetched to say that Any of them COULD start! Jessie and Edie will probably be limited with regards to minutes played. - (I can even see Edie taking a Red-Shirt next year).

Stanford and So Carolina have deep teams, as well, but not as deep as our Ladies. Maybe Texas, too, but again, not like us. There have been soooooooo many losses, transfers, coaching changes, etc. that have changed the college landscape amongst the top 15 to 25 teams. Maryland, UGA, AZ, Oregon, Michigan, Louisville, Indiana, NC ST., Baylor, LSU, Kentucky, Iowa, Oregon St., Ohio State, were All ranked teams going into the tournament this past season. And they ALL have experienced significant losses and changes. Yes, some of them added from the portal but they Had to do so just to stay relevant. We were going to be bringing back 8 players that played quality minutes last season, 4 of which were Starters. Add Marta returning from injury, a former SEC All Freshman Team member, and 2 freshmen, one of them a Mickey D AA, and this was Before the Portal additions that Kellie brought in.

Kellie has Every base covered and then some. The chemistry issue isn't really a concern for me because the players coming in are hungry. - (Rickea Jackson, as Great as she is, has Never played in an NCAA Tournament Game. That's unbelievable!)

Yes, I'm one of those that are touting an undefeated season, with SEC and National Championship finishes as a Great Possibility, and I really don't think that it's much of a stretch. We play road games at Texas and Stanford and at least a home game against So Carolina. We get ucant at home, as well. Without knowing the Entire schedule, those will be the toughest 4 games next season. I can see us winning each one of those, but would be satisfied with a 2-2 split, as long as ucant is one of them. The sheer depth of talent is why I have those expectations. NO ONE ELSE in the country can boast what we have. This could be a Historic Season on Rocky Top!
ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡
Karoline will be playing a lot of basketball for us by the start of SEC play. She can play 4 of the 5 positions and her 3 point game will help decide lot of games.

How is this factual? SC, Stanford and UConn could claim the same as well. Also having talent doesn’t necessarily translate to wins or success. Only one of the players Tennessee brought in has true NCAA experience and that plays a big factor in your claim of going Undefeated and winning a National Championship I understand you’re optimistic about your squad but let’s try and be a little more realistic…

I believe that for the 1st 33% of season that Coach Harper will have several different starting lineups in trying to find chemistry that gives them the best chance going into SEC play and ultimately the NCAA tourney in March.Those combinations at start of season can be based on matchups but as season progresses ,starters will be based on talent and chemistry ....how well they play together as a team and the rotation will be whittled down to 8/9.

ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡

Whoa, Nellie! There's still a lot of unknowns about this team, even as good as they look on paper. It's great to be optimistic. But an undefeated season is almost impossible these days. BTW, Justine would be in one of those two teams you mentioned.

Whoa, Nellie! There's still a lot of unknowns about this team, even as good as they look on paper. It's great to be optimistic. But an undefeated season is almost impossible these days. BTW, Justine would be in one of those two teams you mentioned.

Keeping Justine off one of those teams would be like keeping a top gun out of a gun fight....When she's popping 25 plus footers, the opponents will be mesmerized with astonishment...
7bf0ef000f441a430974acb0b7d5571e.gif

Last edited:
Who were the best scorers in the 2021-22 season? If someone scored points, but has a low overall shooting percentage, they missed a lot of shots and need to improve their shooting, or pass to a hotter hand. We had players with a higher shooting percentage, but didn’t have as many points, hopefully for next season they now have the confidence to shoot more. If a player is mainly a 3 point shooter, their overall field goal percentage is less. If a player mainly shoots layups, they may have a higher field goal percentage, and should be able to make free throws. Also, who are our best free throw shooters? Very important.

Here’s our list, in order of best overall field goal percentage listed first. That’s more apple to apple comparison.
Points, Rebounds, Assists, Free Throw %, Overall Field Goal %

Tamari Key 10.5 pts., 8.1 reb, 1.0 assist, 62.6% free throw, 58.4% field goal

Jasmine Franklin 14.9 pts., 12.1 reb, 1.0 assist, 76% free throw, 53.8% field goal

Jillian Hollingshead 5.1 pts., 2.5 reb, 0.4 assists, 69.2% free throw, 48.8% field goal

Karoline Striplin 2.6 pts., 2.1 reb, 0.2 assist, 77.3% free throw, 44.4% field goal

Sara Puckett 6.4 pts., 3.5 reb, 1.1 assist, 69% free throw, 43.3% field goal

Rickea Jackson 20.3 pts., 6.8 reb, 1.1 assist, 73% free throw, 41% field goal

As a Senior in high school:
Justine Pissott 17.4 points, 7.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 85% free throw, 41% field goal
(1.5 steals and 1.4 blocks per game, 35% 3 pointers)

Marta Suarez 4.1 pts., 3.6 reb, 0.8 assist, 75% free throw, 40.7% field goal
(These are her 2020-21 stats.)

Brooklyn Miles 2.5 pts., 2.8 reb, 2.0 assist, 41.7% free throw, 38.8% field goal

Kaiya Wynn 2.4 pts., 2.0 reb, 0.7 assist, 43.2% free throw, 38.5% field goal

Jordan Horston 16.2 pts., 9.4 reb, 4 assist, 67.8% free throw, 37.9% field goal

As a Senior in high school:
Edie Darby 16 pts., 5.1 reb, 4.2 assist, 87.7% free throw, 37.2% field goal
(stls 3.6, defl 2.3, 3 pointers 34.2%, eFG% 46.3%)

Tess Darby 5.3 pts., 2.4 reb, 1.1 assist, 100% free throw, 36.9% field goal
(Tess mostly shot 3 pointers at 38.3%).

Jordan Walker 7.6 pts., 4.1 reb, 3.4 assist, 61.9% free throw, 34.1% field goal

Jasmine Powell 12.4 pts., 4.4 reb, 5.7 assist, 77.3% free throw, 32.2% field goal

Jessie Rennie 0.6 pts., 0.4 reb. 0.5 assist, 50% free throw, 19% field goal
(3 point-11.8%)

That’s everybody. 🙂

Last edited:
Above is now everyone’s last season stats, in order of best field goal percentage first, including all new players. 😎

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
How is this factual? SC, Stanford and UConn could claim the same as well. Also having talent doesn’t necessarily translate to wins or success. Only one of the players Tennessee brought in has true NCAA experience and that plays a big factor in your claim of going Undefeated and winning a National Championship I understand you’re optimistic about your squad but let’s try and be a little more realistic…
Name the 2 "Starting Fives" that Stanford and ucant can put out on the court? So Carolina doesn't really know what they have after their top 7. I listed my set of 2, where's yours? Also, ALL 4 of the players have Kellie has brought in have "True" NCAA experience. Powell, Jackson and Franklin have At Least 3 years of Starting experience in the NCAA. Hollingshead as a freshman, missed a few regular season games this past season but came up big against Dayton in March Madness. But here's what I do know, I offered some facts with my opinions. You didn't. As I said, there are Only 2 players on next year's team that don't have Major College Basketball experience. SC, Stanford nor ucant can make that claim, despite having so called deep teams. It would take a heck of a lot more than your limited comments to dissuade me from believing what I've stated.
ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡

You don't have to agree with me and I really don't care if that's the case.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Not if it were left up to me. As much as Justine has accomplished, she's Only done those things in High School, not in college in the SEC.

If Justine is starting next season, it probably won't be good for us because it will most likely be because of some serious injuries to some key players. She may be good, but She's Not CP3, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Lawson, etc. Good, IMHO.
ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡

Not if it were left up to me. As much as Justine has accomplished, she's Only done those things in High School, not in college in the SEC.

If Justine is starting next season, it probably won't be good for us because it will most likely be because of some serious injuries to some key players. She may be good, but She's Not CP3, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Lawson, etc. Good, IMHO.
ALSKI 🧡🧡🧡

You don't think she'd be on your second team instead of Marta? I do.

Creme had Franklin as 8th best transfer who had signed but mentioned she would have ranked higher if not for injury. I stand by my opinion that she is better than Key having seen both in person.. Think others will agree with me next season once games happen. Franklin better offensively, better rebounder, and just as good defensively. Not as many blocks but more steals and alters shots as well. But Key and her complement each other. Lots of players will get 15 to 30 minutes with Jackson getting 30+.
Franklin didn't play against the same competition that Key did and wasn't constantly double and triple-teamed like Key was. I wonder how Franklin would have fared week in and week out playing SEC competition? Also, you're not comparing apples to apples between the two of them. I doubt if we would have been a Sweet Sixteen team swapping out Tamari for Franklin this past season and Tamari would have dominated and possibly doubled her production in Franklin's conference. Also, Franklin is NOT a True Post player. Tamari is.
ALSKI 🧡 🧡 🧡

You don't think she'd be on your second team instead of Marta? I do.
No, I do not. Marta was a starter as a freshman before injuries and was All Freshman in the SEC. Marta was Most Likely going to start this past season prior to her foot surgery. Prior to coming to UT, Marta was playing against professionals in Spain for several years.

Justine has accomplished Everything that she has in High School and NOT against Great High School competition. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this Young Lady. She is Extremely Impressive. But if you're trying to convince me that Justine is going to come into the SEC and beat out any one of Horston, Jackson, Key, Jo Jo, Powell, Franklin, Sara, Hollingshead, Marta or Tess, ALL players who have played Major D1 College Basketball, 6 of which are Seniors, and have All Excelled against Great College Competition, for a Starting Spot, No! I will pass on that, unless we're talking about significant injuries to one of those 10. I'm just being realistic here. Also, consider this: Tamari, Jordan and Rickea were on Several NCAA AA Watchlists this past season. Barring injuries or something else crazy, they are Guaranteed to Start. That leaves 2 spots open.

What do you think it would do to Team Chemistry if Justine would come in and pass over players like Sara, (Pretty much the Sixth-Woman from last season), Tess, ( A Starter who shot "Lights Out" at times during the season and made consistent improvements as the season wore on), Jasmine Powell, or Jo Jo, (Both Seniors who have started At Least 3 seasons), for a starting spot? Justine is Not a Point Guard, so Brooklyn, Kaiya and the other players who can play the Point would get the call first for that position when necessary. She is not big enough to play the post position, so she's limited to a couple of positions. Is she, with her current frame, a dominant rebounder in the SEC? I HIGHLY doubt that.

She is actually coming into a pretty good situation. She gets to come to an Extremely experienced team and learn from a bunch of veterans. If I were her, I would concentrate on my 3 point shooting and my defense. Those are going to be the 2 things that will get her playing time.
ALSKI 🧡 🧡 🧡

She may indeed end up starting at the 4 spot, however, last season, she played against 5 Power 5 teams, went 3-2, averaged 15.6 ppg and 14 rebounds. She was Not better than Pointer when they lost to LSU who scored 25 to Franklin's 13. She only scored 8 points and 19 rebounds against OK State in a 44 to 40 loss while Collins for OK State had 16 and 11. Not exactly dominant. Whether or not she plays in the WNBA can't be guaranteed with the current limited roster spots. There are some Extremely Talented Players that have lost their roster spots this season. Next year's draft will have about 15 potential college All Americans in it if They all decide to declare. Franklin will potentially have 3 of them on her Own Team in Key, Jackson and Horston.
ALSKI 🧡 🧡 🧡

She may indeed end up starting at the 4 spot, however, last season, she played against 5 Power 5 teams, went 3-2, averaged 15.6 ppg and 14 rebounds. She was Not better than Pointer when they lost to LSU who scored 25 to Franklin's 13. She only scored 8 points and 19 rebounds against OK State in a 44 to 40 loss while Collins for OK State had 16 and 11. Not exactly dominant. Whether or not she plays in the WNBA can't be guaranteed with the current limited roster spots. There are some Extremely Talented Players that have lost their roster spots this season. Next year's draft will have about 15 potential college All Americans in it if They all decide to declare. Franklin will potentially have 3 of them on her Own Team in Key, Jackson and Horston.
ALSKI 🧡 🧡 🧡

So, against P-5 teams, Miss Franklin averaged 15.6 points and FOURTEEN rebounds? I’ll take it!
And only NINETEEN rebounds against P-5 Oklahoma State? Even without the 8 points that’s good enough for me.
And, against LSU, only 13 points? Give me some-a that too.
* It’s worth noting, isn’t it, that while Franklin, with inferior teammates, was playing “up in class,” the opponent(s) were “playing down,” right?
Your comparisons appear to actually compliment our beloved Miss Franklin. Was that your intent?

So, against P-5 teams, Miss Franklin averaged 15.6 points and FOURTEEN rebounds? I’ll take it!
And only NINETEEN rebounds against P-5 Oklahoma State? Even without the 8 points that’s good enough for me.
And, against LSU, only 13 points? Give me some-a that too.
* It’s worth noting, isn’t it, that while Franklin, with inferior teammates, was playing “up in class,” the opponent(s) were “playing down,” right?
Your comparisons appear to actually compliment our beloved Miss Franklin. Was that your intent?
Couldn't have said it better. In CHRIST Alone

No, I do not. Marta was a starter as a freshman before injuries and was All Freshman in the SEC. Marta was Most Likely going to start this past season prior to her foot surgery. Prior to coming to UT, Marta was playing against professionals in Spain for several years.

Justine has accomplished Everything that she has in High School and NOT against Great High School competition. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this Young Lady. She is Extremely Impressive. But if you're trying to convince me that Justine is going to come into the SEC and beat out any one of Horston, Jackson, Key, Jo Jo, Powell, Franklin, Sara, Hollingshead, Marta or Tess, ALL players who have played Major D1 College Basketball, 6 of which are Seniors, and have All Excelled against Great College Competition, for a Starting Spot, No! I will pass on that, unless we're talking about significant injuries to one of those 10. I'm just being realistic here. Also, consider this: Tamari, Jordan and Rickea were on Several NCAA AA Watchlists this past season. Barring injuries or something else crazy, they are Guaranteed to Start. That leaves 2 spots open.

What do you think it would do to Team Chemistry if Justine would come in and pass over players like Sara, (Pretty much the Sixth-Woman from last season), Tess, ( A Starter who shot "Lights Out" at times during the season and made consistent improvements as the season wore on), Jasmine Powell, or Jo Jo, (Both Seniors who have started At Least 3 seasons), for a starting spot? Justine is Not a Point Guard, so Brooklyn, Kaiya and the other players who can play the Point would get the call first for that position when necessary. She is not big enough to play the post position, so she's limited to a couple of positions. Is she, with her current frame, a dominant rebounder in the SEC? I HIGHLY doubt that.

She is actually coming into a pretty good situation. She gets to come to an Extremely experienced team and learn from a bunch of veterans. If I were her, I would concentrate on my 3 point shooting and my defense. Those are going to be the 2 things that will get her playing time.
ALSKI 🧡 🧡 🧡

Good post. You defended your position well. We just disagree here.

I agree there is no starting spot for her with our projected starting five, but I think by the time conference play starts, she will be the first wing off the bench, assuming she learns to rebound and play defense per kellie Harper specifications. I see her as more mobile than either Marta or Tess, and a better shooter, and a longer defender. Tess makes the most of what she has, but she is not fast or quick. And she has trouble getting her shot off. She was a starter last season because of the injuries to Rae and then Jordy. She went many games disappearing on offense when dominated by superior defenders. Who knows what Marta can give us with that foot. She may be limited medically. I also see Pissott as a superior player to Walker, who is also not a consistent shooter and is a poor free throw shooter, and at times limited on defense against larger, stronger twos.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the other players. They add a lot to the team. But in head to head comparison's with Justine's potential, I see her eventually emerging this season to play a very important role, first wing off the bench.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2

VN Store

Back