Next year's roster

You forgot the quotes where Barnes has said multiple times he wants Fulk at 26-28mpg
I remember when he said it and why. It was because he wasn't ready or big enough to handle the pounding he was taking in league play. He ended that quote stating that he needed to get stronger.

I remember when he said it and why. It was because he wasn't ready or big enough to handle the pounding he was taking in league play. He ended that quote stating that he needed to get stronger.
Those two ideas aren't mutually exclusive, though. Fulk can need to get stronger and Barnes still want to reduce his minutes.

Clearly, Bailey is the wildcard. I have seen it suggested he may be our leading scorer, and I have seen it suggested that he won't average 5 minutes per game. That is quite the spread.

Basilio has been saying for months that Bailey tears it up at practice. Coaches believe he’ll be quite good here. Minutes are a big ?? though.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Basilio has been saying for months that Bailey tears it up at practice. Coaches believe he’ll be quite good here. Minutes are a big ?? though.
Yeah, I take those kind of opinions on players who are sitting out with a boulder of salt. We have heard this story time and time, again.

I understand you are just commenting on what you've heard, so that's not intended as a shot at you. I've heard similar reports, myself from people other than Basilio, so I am sure there is an aspect of truth to it. I just have to see it manifest itself in live games to believe it. Jalen Johnson was notoriously the best player on the team in practice, and that never translated. Derrick Walker dominated the European tour as a freshman a couple years ago, and it never manifested.

FWIW, I think there is a better chance that Bailey is closer to the player Basilio is describing than he is to average less than 5 mpg. You don't typically take a transfer who has to sit out a year if you expect him to contribute that little.

Yeah, I take those kind of opinions on players who are sitting out with a boulder of salt. We have heard this story time and time, again.

I understand you are just commenting on what you've heard, so that's not intended as a shot at you. I've heard similar reports, myself from people other than Basilio, so I am sure there is an aspect of truth to it. I just have to see it manifest itself in live games to believe it. Jalen Johnson was notoriously the best player on the team in practice, and that never translated. Derrick Walker dominated the European tour as a freshman a couple years ago, and it never manifested.

FWIW, I think there is a better chance that Bailey is closer to the player Basilio is describing than he is to average less than 5 mpg. You don't typically take a transfer who has to sit out a year if you expect him to contribute that little.

This is a good post and I may very well be wrong on Bailey but the devils advocate here is that Springer, Johnson and SV weren’t believed to have been on board when we took him.

My stance is the staff didn’t believe we were going to have all those 3 players that we all
Think are going to be winning players. Now that we have them he really isn’t needed

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
In his defense, it’s common for 7 footers to take longer to develop. I’m concerned that with him being the age of a rising senior he might be closer to his potential than we hope

Agree with everything you said. Especially like the "boulder of salt" analogy. I bet Bailey turns out differently than the JJ situation, but that is all opinion and speculation on my part.

In his defense, it’s common for 7 footers to take longer to develop. I’m concerned that with him being the age of a rising senior he might be closer to his potential than we hope
Yeah, I think that’s a fair critique. He had the one game where he scored 16 points against Mississippi St., a team whose size should have given us fits and challenged shots at the rim. Instead, Uros went and had a career day by a mile against them. It’s just shocking how good he was that day and how bad he was almost every other. I just wonder if we saw the flame of potential that day. Even if all he gave was 6 ppg and 6 rpg along with solid post defense for the next two years, that would be beyond adequate. His defense seems to be the most lacking part of his game and he gets too easily frustrated.

Definitely agree on the easily frustrated part. Some appeared to applaud his obvious intentional fouls which I suspect CRB views as immature and selfish. Fulky got beat near to death in a few games but I don’t recall him giving the other team the ball and 2 free throws in response. While he is somewhat slow footed, Uros doesn’t appear completely unathletic. Being jerked around by the NCAA couldn’t have helped him get comfortable with his teammates and Fulky really started looking to score once Uros was freed. If Pons returns, 15 minutes 5&5 from Uros next year with only 2 fouls would be great progress.

Reactions: cncchris33
Definitely agree on the easily frustrated part. Some appeared to applaud his obvious intentional fouls which I suspect CRB views as immature and selfish. Fulky got beat near to death in a few games but I don’t recall him giving the other team the ball and 2 free throws in response. While he is somewhat slow footed, Uros doesn’t appear completely unathletic. Being jerked around by the NCAA couldn’t have helped him get comfortable with his teammates and Fulky really started looking to score once Uros was freed. If Pons returns, 15 minutes 5&5 from Uros next year with only 2 fouls would be great progress.
Uros is an emotional player.
You can see it even when he was just sitting on the bench. Yea he’s old and that’s a red flag for developing but to his defense he is “young” in terms of college basketball experience. Maybe he learns to control and use that emotion and play better this season. He seems like a great kid and wish the best for him

Uros is an emotional player.
You can see it even when he was just sitting on the bench. Yea he’s old and that’s a red flag for developing but to his defense he is “young” in terms of college basketball experience. Maybe he learns to control and use that emotion and play better this season. He seems like a great kid and wish the best for him
I believe Barnes will get enough out of him to contribute.

Reactions: BruinVol
Reactions: MinisterofDef#92
Fulky played one of the best games a Tennessee player has ever played in Rupp arena. He was absolutely unguardable that night.Looking forward to his progression next year.
I'd say certainly the best since Chris Lofton put up 31 pts and 7 rebs on UK in Rupp back in 2006. 11-18 shooting, 7-10 from 3. First win in Rupp since 1999 and only the second win in Rupp since 1979, to that point (27 years).

That is the performance that kept popping into my mind watching Fulky almost single-handedly dismantle UK.

I'd say certainly the best since Chris Lofton put up 31 pts and 7 rebs on UK in Rupp back in 2006. 11-18 shooting, 7-10 from 3. First win in Rupp since 1999 and only the second win in Rupp since 1979, to that point (27 years).

That is the performance that kept popping into my mind watching Fulky almost single-handedly dismantle UK.
He was great for sure.

Additionally, with the caveat that nothing is for certain this early in the process, we’re hearing from well placed sources that as of now Yves Pons is likely to be back next year. Again, that could perhaps change if he gets some incredible feedback from the NBA, but we’re told from people that know the league that whether or not there is even an NBA pre-draft camp this summer is very much in doubt right now.
Keon Johnson and the other 2020 signees had planned on moving onto campus on May 6th in a couple of weeks, instead he told us he’s talking with coaches and working on those drills their sending him to try and get better, with his primary focus on improving his ball handling. Johnson also shared that he and fellow signees Jaden Springer and Corey Walker are bonding over playing NBA2K online against one another.
-VQ

VN Store

Back