Next Year

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
What Barnes has done this year is impressive. I don't believe any of our guys have reached star power, but we beat 3 conference champions loaded with stars: Alabama, Texas and Duke. We were ranked #1 at one point (I think) and have gone to at least the sweet 16. None of the star powered Freshman made any serious contributions. Oh an they also had a big exhibition win over Gonzaga (WCC champs).

I can't help but think about what is possible next year. I know I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think every player can return for another year? I think it would benefit every player's career who can return for them to do so, and should be REALLY good if they all do.

Here is the breakdown of who I think can return next year that could be of any significance to our team (please do correct me if I am wrong here.)

• Vescovi has another year due to COVID,
  • ZZ will be back as a Junior
  • Aidoo is a Sophomore and will return
  • Oliver Nkamhoua is a Senior, but I think he has a COVID year
  • Mashack is a Sophomore, and will return
  • JJJ has a COVID year I think
  • I'm not sure if Plavsic has another year or not due to COVID, but he did redshirt as a Freshman
  • Awaka has seen some PT as a Freshman and will return.
  • Then you have Phillips who most likely will return as a sophomore if he is smart. He was rated as the nation’s No. 13 overall prospect in the Class of 2022 by both ESPN and Rivals and No. 18 overall by 247 Sports.
  • We still don't know what BJ Edwards will turn into. He is a Freshman and consensus four-star prospect as well as rated as the nation's No. 71 overall prospect in the Class of 2022 by Rivals.com.
  • Jefferson, another Freshman, was a four-star prospect in the Class of 2022, he was rated as the nation's No. 45 prospect and the No. 1 prospect in the state of Minnesota by On3, as well as No. 73 nationally by 247sports.
  • And then there is Freddie Dilione who will be a sophomore. He was rated as high as No. 24 overall in the Class of 2023 by 247Sports and also was the top-rated prospect in the state of North Carolina per the 247Sports Composite.

If all those guys can return and do, it may be the best team and most experienced we have seen at Tennessee. The only team that I can remember that would rival it never happened, because Bone and Williams left after their Junior years (I think) when Alexander and Schofield departed as Seniors.

Last edited:
Edwards and Phillips gone, IMO
Yeah, I dunno. They just haven't done that much to put them into the first round where the money is much greater have they?

Chance to win the NC, NIL money and another year to grow into first rounders. Seems like a lot to give up.

I don’t see Vescovi, Nkamhoua, or JJJ coming back. I think they definitely find pro careers somewhere next year. Uros maybe would come back, but I doubt he does. Phillips and Edwards are the two I think that would be hardest to predict. Phillips maybe decides he wants to try the pro route, Edwards maybe decides to seek more playing time sooner elsewhere. I think Jefferson comes back, but would not be shocked if he transferred. The rest are back outside of Key of course, I believe.

Reactions: TOUCHDOWN!!TN
I don’t see Vescovi, Nkamhoua, or JJJ coming back. I think they definitely find pro careers somewhere next year. Uros maybe would come back, but I doubt he does. Phillips and Edwards are the two I think that would be hardest to predict. Phillips maybe decides he wants to try the pro route, Edwards maybe decides to seek more playing time sooner elsewhere. I think Jefferson comes back, but would not be shocked if he transferred. The rest are back outside of Key of course, I believe.
I will be shocked if these guys are drafted. Vescovi, Nkamhoua, or JJJ

Reactions: lynnh and Frozevol
I will be shocked if these guys are drafted. Vescovi, Nkamhoua, or JJJ

Just because they won’t get drafted, doesn’t mean they don’t want to move on and play overseas. Sometimes, guys have their degrees and are ready for the next chapter in their lives. JJJ might because he isn’t an international player, has battled injuries, and is probably making some NIL money.

Reactions: esarmstrong
Just because they won’t get drafted, doesn’t mean they don’t want to move on and play overseas. Sometimes, guys have their degrees and are ready for the next chapter in their lives. JJJ might because he isn’t an international player, has battled injuries, and is probably making some NIL money.

Yeah, but considering what they have a chance at if they come back and the fact they aren't likely to get drafted makes me think they are less likely to do so. The potential of next year's team will be enormous if they all return!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigorangejumpsuit
This is my best guess:

PG- Zakai Ziegler, BJ Edwards
G- Jamai Mashack, Freddie Dilione, Cameron Carr
W- Julian Phillips, DJ Jefferson
PF- Tobe Awaka, Cade Phillips
C- Jonas Aidoo, JP Estrella

Plus a transfer portal post and a transfer portal PG/CG.
Exactly. Assuming no one transfers. I doubt any seniors return and honestly why would they. JJJ, Vescovi, Nkamhoua and Plavsic hopefully all get a chance to play overseas and make some money for 5+ years before playing days are over.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
This is my best guess:

I really like that team. Dilione and Estrella will contribute early imo. Hopefully Phillips can turn Into a dominate Offensive presence and zz as floor general with Mashack is an absolute nasty defensive guard duo.

This is my best guess:

I think they are trying to get edwards to play shooting guard. Dilione has been playing point on the practice team with edwards at sg

They want to go make money. Guys have to make decisions for themselves.

I understand that. All 3 would most likely be taken care of. If not, then they should go. That said, they would only get better and perhaps improve their chances to sign for more, so... I don't think staying is necessarily selfless.

VN Store

Back