Next Year’s Men’s Basketball Team Discussion

With football and the Lady Vols going down over the past few years I'm really enjoying watching this top 5 team and don't want this year to end. However since you asked I'm hoping Williams comes back and Turner gets better from whatever is ailing him and we'll be back in the top 10 next year. If they don't then next year's team will probably be built around the guards Bone, Bowden, and James and be top 20 preseason.

I'm telling u next year, with Grant probably coming back and a taste of Burns, it will be the year of Derrick Walker. I know , mediocre at best this year, but next year, the Barnes coaching jump kicks in, when we need it. I'm predicting 12 rebounds a game

Last edited:
Williams returns, he needs to improve his play away from the basket to make the nba. And, he is a smart guy with many interests. He’s capable of a great career outside B-ball. He wants his masters degree.
James has potential but like most freshmen has a lot to learn. I don’t see him as effective until late in the year. At point he has to learn the system well and play D.
I think we have a very good team next year but not as good as we have now. We have great chemistry and a deep hunger to win it all. Don’t under estimate the motivation AS brings.
Im guessing Pons really comes on next year. You can see he is still learning.
Burns will contribute.

I agree with you, Williams is always adding to his arsenal and is successful in his efforts. He stood out as a Freshman and has ever since. Imagine what he will do playing along side a star and in a league where they don’t call flopping lol.

The D League and European leagues are riddled with players like Williams. He's a great college player that relies on overpowering college defenders. That doesn't translate to the NBA, especially for 4 year players. If the talent or potential is there, players that the NBA wants are typically gone after 1-2 years. Draft projections tell you how the "Association" feels about his talent translating to the next level. Gary Parrish put's it best when evaluating whether a college player would make it in the NBA: "What position can he guard?" Williams is too small to guard the 3,4,5. Not quick enough to guard 1 or 2. Doesn't have size offensively to score the way he does in college and not a prolific outside threat. Unless he grows another 4-5" or Barnes allows him to shoot 5-10 3 pointers a game (and he makes 40-45% of those), look for him in Grand Rapids, Poland, or Lithuania in 2020.

The D League and European leagues are riddled with players like Williams. He's a great college player that relies on overpowering college defenders. That doesn't translate to the NBA, especially for 4 year players. If the talent or potential is there, players that the NBA wants are typically gone after 1-2 years. Draft projections tell you how the "Association" feels about his talent translating to the next level. Gary Parrish put's it best when evaluating whether a college player would make it in the NBA: "What position can he guard?" Williams is too small to guard the 3,4,5. Not quick enough to guard 1 or 2. Doesn't have size offensively to score the way he does in college and not a prolific outside threat. Unless he grows another 4-5" or Barnes allows him to shoot 5-10 3 pointers a game (and he makes 40-45% of those), look for him in Grand Rapids, Poland, or Lithuania in 2020.
I don't disagree with your entire post. The concern of who he guards is a legitimate question. I do disagree with the suggestion that he simply overpowers college defenders as an exclusive statement, though. He has added quite a bit of finesse and touch to his game to go along with the power. He has added a respectable outside shot, a nice turnaround jumper, and some mid-range game, too. He is no longer simply a bully in the paint. His ball-handling has improved as well, as has his quickness and athleticism, defensively. I think he could develop into someone who could be an NBA SF, but he needs to continue to improve his outside shot, ball-handling, and defensive quickness. He isn't too far off, but not really a threat to leave early, yet.

I expect Grant back next year. He’ll test the waters and work out for teams like Admiral, but he’ll come back to work on his outside shooting and perimeter game. Next year will be fun too, considering we’d only lose Admiral and Kyle.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Williams returns, he needs to improve his play away from the basket to make the nba. And, he is a smart guy with many interests. He’s capable of a great career outside B-ball. He wants his masters degree.
James has potential but like most freshmen has a lot to learn. I don’t see him as effective until late in the year. At point he has to learn the system well and play D.
I think we have a very good team next year but not as good as we have now. We have great chemistry and a deep hunger to win it all. Don’t under estimate the motivation AS brings.
Im guessing Pons really comes on next year. You can see he is still learning.
Burns will contribute.
I disagree with u about James. I think he is a star day one. A stat sheet stuffer as Dickie V used to call 'em, something like 12 pts., 5 rebs., 5 assists, from the get go. I do agree, he will be even better by the end of the season and especially post season

I looked at a prediction of the NBA draft and Schofield & Williams are first rounders. They are gone
Now what is left on the roste
r for next season

Looked at roster again.
Appears we will have 5 scholarships to give. Three by graduation and two by probably declaring early for NBA draft
Most glaring need will bs to replace production from Schofield, Alexander & Williams departure

According to NBA draft assessment, it is Williams size that keeps him from going early in first round
Returning for another year would not change that. I say he should leave and not risk injury or a decline in production next year. With Alexander & Admiral leaving, Williams will be keyed on by defenses and his production will go down, thus hurting his NBA status

Reactions: NYCVolunteer
I guess this is stating the obvious to a degree, but it seems we could be really good next year or not so good.

The way our team looks now, if Williams goes pro, we will be in some trouble next year. Heck if Bone keeps playing at the level he is playing he could go. We would lose Alexander, Schofield, Bone and Williams. Yikes!

If we keep Williams and Bone, we look pretty darn good with Bowden, Bone, Turner and Williams all returning and the infusion of our 5 star guard James. That will add another dimension to our game if he lives up to the hype.

Still, we need Yves Pons to improve drastically to make up for the loss of Schofield. Like Schofield, there he has started with some raw talent and athletic ability. At some point this year he has to break free from simply being that that and become a force.
Then we have to replace Alexander. Can Fulkerson, Walker, Kent, Jancek, Burns, Pember & Gaines collectively fill that void?

Surely, one of those players breaks out. That is EIGHT forwards when you include Pons. Who will it be?

What are your predictions for next year’s basketball team and what will you be looking at this year as you root potentially one of the best teams in UT history along?
Why can't people simply enjoy what we have right now? Stupid.

Apparently people have him and Schofield as 1st round projections?

I sure hope that DJ Burns is a good free throw shooter because Walker and Pons are horrible right now and Fulkerson isn't consistent. We lose KA and he's been solid at the FT stripe. I bet that Kent is good, but he has to get on the court before he can get to the free throw line. I assume that Pember is another good free throw shooter. I wonder if the 7'2" (7'4" ?) target can stroke them or lay bricks?

Heh if only Derrick Walker could magically become Grant 2.0 as some predicted at his signing. As it is he handles the ball as if he's wearing ski gloves...or lately, boxing gloves. DW has a lot of ground to make up if he's going to be a contributor next year.

We need to recruit some post if Williams and Schofield go. Fulkerson and Walker are role players at best. Walker is hot garbage right now. Burns may need a year or 2 more to develope. A lot of unknown with him.

We need to recruit some post if Williams and Schofield go. Fulkerson and Walker are role players at best. Walker is hot garbage right now. Burns may need a year or 2 more to develope. A lot of unknown with him.
Fulkerson will surprise. Will improve tremendously this season and probably have his best off season improvement. Barnes will make him a player. Walker hasn't played enough to warrant that much criticism.

Just curious with the impending departure of Admiral, Kyle and Grant (assuming he will leave), what will the squad look like.

PG: Jordan Bone, Josiah James
SG: Jordan Bowden, Lamonte Tuner
SF: Yves Pons, Jalen Johnson, Davonte Gaines
PF: Derrick Walker, DJ Burns, Drew Pember
C: John Fulkerson, Zach Kent

Could be missing someone...

Last edited:
I don't think Grant leaves. Replace him with Fulkerson in your lineup.

You really don't think he leaves? He will never be ranked higher than he will after this year with potential back to back SEC Players of the Year. I love the idea of him being a 4-year guy, but I think he could be a first-round draft pick this year.

I don't think Grant leaves. Replace him with Fulkerson in your lineup.

You really don't think he leaves? He will never be ranked higher than he will after this year with potential back to back SEC Players of the Year. I love the idea of him being a 4-year guy, but I think he could be a first-round draft pick this year.

Williams will be a solid pro, he's more athletic than we give him credit, mostly because we just see him in the post. But, his vision as a passer, his strength in the post of both ends, the ability to shoot from range now, heck even him bringing up the ball now shows how versatile he is. Consistently defending on the perimeter will determine how high he can go. He's like Draymond Green with more offense and less defense most likely. He does average 1.7 blocks per game, just under Alexander 1.8 who we all know is an elite rim protector.

Do you.... watch the NBA? peak Draymond Green is one of the best passing and offensive big men in recent memory. He's averaged over seven assists over the last four years to less than three turnovers with a true shooting percentage never below 47%. He is Dennis Rodman with the court vision of an All NBA 1st team point guard.

I love Grant, but he is not even in the same conversation as the most important player on the best dynasty since Duncan's Spurs. Notice I didn't say best, but as Kerr has openly said himself, their entire defense and offensive strategy is centered on Draymond and his unique skill set. Finding shooters or scorers is easy (GS has 5 after all), finding someone who can guard Lebron James and drop 30 in the process on any given night is once in a generation.

There is zero chance Grant goes in the in the first round, even if he wins player of the year and we win a national title.

People really need to get something into their brains about professional leagues, but basketball more than any other. If you do not fit the prototypical size you will not get the dice rolled on you barring EXTREME circumstances. Grant is good. He is not 30 ppg 10 rebounds 5 assists good.

Will someone take a risk on him in the second round or free agency and him make a team and end up contributing? Very possible. But nobody will risk their first rounders on him. And to do so would be foolish when they can look at the exact same school for a guy in a similar situation of being undersized for his position that was drafted higher than he should be and is barely making teams now.

There is zero chance Grant goes in the in the first round, even if he wins player of the year and we win a national title.

People really need to get something into their brains about professional leagues, but basketball more than any other. If you do not fit the prototypical size you will not get the dice rolled on you barring EXTREME circumstances. Grant is good. He is not 30 ppg 10 rebounds 5 assists good.

Will someone take a risk on him in the second round or free agency and him make a team and end up contributing? Very possible. But nobody will risk their first rounders on him. And to do so would be foolish when they can look at the exact same school for a guy in a similar situation of being undersized for his position that was drafted higher than he should be and is barely making teams now.

Of course, professional leagues are looking for prototypical size, but I am saying based on his IQ, long arms, high shooting (both from field and FT) a team could take a look. Yes, he is only 6-7, but even Omari Spellman got drafted last in the first round averaging 10.9 points and 8 rebounds. I am just saying there is a chance he might not come back.

Obviously, I would prefer he did.

VN Store

Back