Next Vol To Have Jersey Number Retired?

Volfan1000

Sports Source was saying that Tony White should have his jersey number in the rafters.

I agree with their assessment.

He was a prolific scorer and was DeVoe's best recruit along with Dyron Nix.

Thoughts from the board?

Reactions: CPA
I love White but he doesn't meet the criteria, unless the committee decides to override the rules from 2013. He was SEC player of the year but 3rd team All-American. He holds no career records. No National Championship. No national player of the year.

For Knecht to qualify he'll need to sweep the SEC and National P.o.Y awards, be a first team A.A, score a ton of points to get the single season points scored record (and hope it counts as a significant career record) or two of those and we win the NCAA title.

I love White but he doesn't meet the criteria, unless the committee decides to override the rules from 2013. He was SEC player of the year but 3rd team All-American. He holds no career records. No National Championship. No national player of the year.

For Knecht to qualify he'll need to sweep the SEC and National P.o.Y awards, be a first team A.A, score a ton of points to get the single season points scored record (and hope it counts as a significant career record) or two of those and we win the NCAA title.
... Nevermind wrong forum..

I consider the single game points record (51) a career record, it has stood for close to 40 years, now. Of course, The Wizard is my all-time favorite basketball Vol, so I may be a little biased

Personally, I feel that requirements need to be added like "player must be at a university for a certain amount of years." I feel like there's a loyalty component to retiring a jersey. Thats JMO.

So, if Knect average 30 points per game in the dance and we win the whole thing... not enough in your mind?

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
Just because we can retire someone's jersey doesn't necessarily mean we should just to retire a jersey. It'll be a while before another number is retired.

The National POY is the Heisman equivalent. If Knecht gets that, I think that’s worthy of a retired number. JMO

Yep. Some just think it's a matter of a really good player who's popular getting the honor. Just doesn't work that way. If it did, that would cheapen the honor. White, for all his accomplishments, simply doesn't qualify.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
The Athletics Department announced on February 12, 2007, an official policy for the retirement of numbers worn by UT athletes. A committee led by the athletics director was to consider candidates who had completed their UT careers for at least five years and met at least two of the following criteria: (1) first-team All-America as recognized by the UT media guide, (2) SEC player of the year as recognized by the UT media guide, (3) member of an Olympic team, and (4) member of an NBA or an ABA All-Star team. Also, candidates could not have achieved greater fame at another institution or university. Retired numbers could be reactivated with the approval of the athlete or his surviving family.

In 2013 new criteria were adopted that retired jerseys but not numbers. The new criteria were

• The student-athlete must have demonstrated outstanding character, integrity, and commitment to the University of Tennessee during his/her athletic career.
  • Any student-athlete under consideration must have graduated or have left the university in good academic standing, which would have made them eligible to return and compete.
  • Former student-athletes are eligible for this honor for five years after exhausting their eligibility. If they left school early without exhausting their eligibility, they are eligible eight years after leaving UT.
  • Extenuating circumstances may be considered by the committee, and modifications of the policy may be considered under such circumstances by mutual agreement of the Faculty Athletics Representative and the Vice Chancellor/Director of Athletics.
Student-athletes will be eligible for consideration if they achieve three of the five criteria listed below:

• SEC Player of the Year
  • National Award (Player of the Year, Sullivan, or similar honor)
  • First-Team All-American
  • Career record holder in a significant category (as determined by the committee) at the UT, SEC, or national level upon completion of career
  • National championship during tenure

I'm not sure what's considered a National Award or if making the All-SEC First Team counts.

Dalton will likely win a National Award AND make First-Team All-American, should be the SEC Player of the Year as well...I kind of wish they'd add SEC championship during tenure, because that's not exactly a common thing typically.

I personally think Santiago should be next up. But don't know if he's met 3 of the criteria.

I'm not sure what's considered a National Award or if making the All-SEC First Team counts.

Dalton will likely win a National Award AND make First-Team All-American, should be the SEC Player of the Year as well...I kind of wish they'd add SEC championship during tenure, because that's not exactly a common thing typically.

I personally think Santiago should be next up. But don't know if he's met 3 of the criteria.
Vescovi?

Also just realized, Grant's isn't retired already. So he's probably the next one.

First-Team All-American
SEC Player of the Year x2
Was a Naismith Award Finalists (does that count for National Award?)
Wooden Award Finalists

Also just realized, Grant's isn't retired already. So he's probably the next one.
First-Team All-American
SEC Player of the Year x2
Was a Naismith Award Finalists (does that count for National Award?)
Wooden Award Finalists

Reactions: chuckiepoo
White doesn't meet the current criteria because he was 3 team AA not first or second. Now it could be said that losing those slots on first team to Steve Alford of Indiana and Kenny SMith of UNC might make a case for extending the criteria to third team since both are HOF.
At the same time our program is starting to see a different class of players so if we relax the current criteria we might start to see significantly more players qualify.
I don't want to get to the point where the rafters are full of jerseys that nobody knows.

I wish guys like White and Williams qualified based off a high percentage of the qualifying requirements. To me if they met 75-80% of the requirements they should be eligible. but thats jmo

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of retiring people's numbers for athletic accomplishments.

I'm cool with honoring players for those accomplishment by hanging their jersey in the rafters, which is affectionately known as retiring their jersey, and distinct of retiring their number.

I'd prefer to only see numbers retired in individual cases of tragic events that honor the fallen player who wore that number. The four football Vols killed in WW2 come to mind. Hank Gathers at LMU is another.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'm not a fan of retiring people's numbers for athletic accomplishments.

I'm cool with honoring players for those accomplishment by hanging their jersey in the rafters, which is affectionately known as retiring their jersey, and distinct of retiring their number.

I'd prefer to only see numbers retired in individual cases of tragic events that honor the fallen player who wore that number. The four football Vols killed in WW2 come to mind. Hank Gathers at LMU is another.
I'd be 100% good with just hanging their jersey.

VN Store

Back