Next season predictions

KY always brings in talent no matter the coach. Not so with TN so you are making a faulty analogy.

Nope, we've had NBA players here from every coach over the last 50 years. Buzz Peterson flopped with a loaded team his first year. Jerry Green couldn't get over the hump with a ton of talent. Martin had multiple NBA players on the same squad that struggled all season before getting to the S16. Pearl had fewer NBA guys than Martin but still did well with overall talent.

Coaching is huge in CBB. The elite do well recruiting and in the post season. Some knock it out in recruiting and come up short in the post season. Some don't recruit as well but still thrive in the post season.

Nope, we've had NBA players here from every coach over the last 50 years. Buzz Peterson flopped with a loaded team his first year. Jerry Green couldn't get over the hump with a ton of talent. Martin had multiple NBA players on the same squad that struggled all season before getting to the S16. Pearl had fewer NBA guys than Martin but still did well with overall talent.

Coaching is huge in CBB. The elite do well recruiting and in the post season. Some knock it out in recruiting and come up short in the post season. Some don't recruit as well but still thrive in the post season.

TN has rarely had more than 3 former players on NBA rosters at the same time while KY puts around that many into the league annually. It’s crazy to argue that anything is more important than filling up a rotation with great players. It is by far the most important aspect of building a highly competitive program.

Barnes needs to prove some doubters wrong this year and at least get to the Elite 8. No excuse not to.

You are demanding that TN finish in the top 2 of 3 percent of all NCAAT eligible programs yet the early predictions are for a 3rd or 4th finish in the SEC. SMDH.

Not sure about the demanding part, but all the pieces are there. You keep on accepting first round losses and I will keep in expecting bigger things.

Not sure about the demanding part, but all the pieces are there. You keep on accepting first round losses and I will keep in expecting bigger things.

“No excuse not to” finish in the Elite Eight or better sounds like a demand to me.

Barnes has one first round loss at TN. Why are you using the lie that there have been first round “losses”?

Barnes needs to prove some doubters wrong this year and at least get to the Elite 8. No excuse not to.

Injuries, freshmen, first year in the program players, no durable and effective 5 on the team yet, covid restrictions, illness, transfer portal, etc. There's lots of reasons real good teams don't get to the EE.

TN has rarely had more than 3 former players on NBA rosters at the same time while KY puts around that many into the league annually. It’s crazy to argue that anything is more important than filling up a rotation with great players. It is by far the most important aspect of building a highly competitive program.

Would you rather have Kentucky's roster the past 5 years and Buzz Peterson as your head coach or Tennessee's and Jay Wright?

Would you rather have Kentucky's roster the past 5 years and Buzz Peterson as your head coach or Tennessee's and Jay Wright?

I wanted Buzz to hire Devoe as his assistant. But I’m not a fan of KY’s one-and-done history. I like CRB’s roster building.

I would love to see Tennessee make it to the Elite 8, and I think this team or the next has the ability to do it. But I'm simply not going to say "no excuse not to" when UT as an ENTIRE PROGRAM has made ONE Elite 8 ever. It's fair to expect Barnes and his teams to do better than they have in the NCAAT, but we also need to remember where UT is as a program overall.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I would love to see Tennessee make it to the Elite 8, and I think this team or the next has the ability to do it. But I'm simply not going to say "no excuse not to" when UT as an ENTIRE PROGRAM has made ONE Elite 8 ever. It's fair to expect Barnes and his teams to do better than they have in the NCAAT, but we also need to remember where UT is as a program overall.

The fact that we've only made one elite 8 is an indictment on our coaches over the years. We've had some very good teams that should have done better in the post season. I believe we are at or near the top of wins by any program to have never made the final four.

The fact that we've only made one elite 8 is an indictment on our coaches over the years. We've had some very good teams that should have done better in the post season. I believe we are at or near the top of wins by any program to have never made the final four.

Which tells me that national tournament record isn't everything. If it were, Barnes wouldn't be recruiting this well.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Bumping this thread now that the roster is pretty much set. This is the most talented roster we have ever had top to bottom. 3 Five stars coming in, fulky returning, JJJ ready to make a splash... I'm ready to skip football season and get straight to bball since we know what the football program is going to do. Tennessee has a final 4 roster, lets just hope we can finally put it together.

Bumping this thread now that the roster is pretty much set. This is the most talented roster we have ever had top to bottom. 3 Five stars coming in, fulky returning, JJJ ready to make a splash... I'm ready to skip football season and get straight to bball since we know what the football program is going to do. Tennessee has a final 4 roster, lets just hope we can finally put it together.

I think you’re a bit overzealous, there’s a reason most projections have them around 15 and not Top 5.

I disagree, unless you are of the opinion ~20 teams have that kind of roster preseason.
You need an elite pg in march - check
You need rebounding - we have fulky and 2 five stars coming - I will check that as well
You need shooting - Auburn transfer and if Bailey can find his stroke will be the keys to making a run outside of what we have at the other positions.
I am drinking the koolaid, but I like this roster a lot more than last year.

You need an elite pg in march - check
You need rebounding - we have fulky and 2 five stars coming - I will check that as well
You need shooting - Auburn transfer and if Bailey can find his stroke will be the keys to making a run outside of what we have at the other positions.
I am drinking the koolaid, but I like this roster a lot more than last year.
I too like the roster more than last years, but there’s a wide gap between opening round blowout and final 4.

I too like the roster more than last years, but there’s a wide gap between opening round blowout and final 4.
Agreed. However, last years team underachieved. Oregon St also made a run which seems to be a trend for us when we get upset in the tourney (Loyola)

Agreed. However, last years team underachieved. Oregon St also made a run which seems to be a trend for us when we get upset in the tourney (Loyola)
Even as a Vol fan and with orange tinted glasses I feel like I would struggle to say we’ve even got a Top 10 roster...the potential is there but there’s a lot of “ifs” imo

VN Store

Back