Next gen Xbox officially called Xbox Series X

With that form factor, it looks like they are going all out in terms of cooling to make this thing as powerful as possible. And possibly making it upgradeable as well.

tenor (13).gif
Those are some really strange choices for a console. It's shaped like a cinder block. When placed vertical, the disc slot on the bottom is bound to collect grime. Hopefully that big @$$ fan is for exhaust. If not it will suck up dust like a roomba while horizontal. Assuming that's not the case, it should he fine, if you don't like physical media. I'd hate to try to fit it in my current setup though.

Last edited:
View attachment 245892
Those are some really strange choices for a console. It's shaped like a cinder block. When placed vertical, the disc slot on the bottom is bound to collect grime. Hopefully that big @$$ fan is for exhaust. If not it will suck up dust like a roomba while horizontal. Assuming that's not the case, it should he fine, if you don't like physical media. I'd hate to try to fit it in my current setup though.

It's pure function over fashion. I kind of like the monolithic look to it. Its bold, yet simple. One thing's for sure, if I get it there's no way that thing is fitting into my entertainment center. It will have to stand up next to it like a speaker or subwoofer.

It's pure function over fashion. I kind of like the monolithic look to it. Its bold, yet simple. One thing's for sure, if I get it there's no way that thing is fitting into my entertainment center. It will have to stand up next to it like a speaker or subwoofer.
It's minimalist for sure. I don't know if I'd call a game console that won't fit in an entertainment center functional in design though. I don't mind how it looks actually. But the form factor makes it difficult to put it where a device like that needs to go and the placement of the disc slot is troublesome. It seems like they are going for striking style with no regard for usability. It has the look of an ultra modern gaming PC tower. But a console doesn't sit where a computer would in most homes. I'd like to hear for sure whether that fan on top is set to push or pull, and if there is another one in the back for intake if the big one is for exhaust.

The games will determine which console I go with, as always. But I would be curious to have sat in on a design meeting when determining the form factor for that thing.

Last edited:
It's minimalist for sure. I don't know if I'd call a game console that won't fit in an entertainment center functional in design though. I don't mind how it looks actually. But the form factor makes it difficult to put it where a device like that needs to go and the placement of the disc slot is troublesome. It seems like they are going for striking style with no regard for usability. It has the look of an ultra modern gaming PC tower. But a console doesn't sit where a computer would in most homes. I'd like to hear for sure whether that fan on top is set to push or pull, and if there is another one in the back for intake if the big one is for exhaust.

The games will determine which console I go with, as always. But I would be curious to have sat in on a design meeting when determining the form factor for that thing.
Have they released the dimensions? I wonder how much taller it is than an OG Xbox One when placed vertically

Have they released the dimensions? I wonder how much taller it is than an OG Xbox One when placed vertically
It looks to be the same height as an Xbox 1X. So a little shorter than the OG Xbox One. All the extras size is in width when vertical.
Xbox-Series-X-Dimensions.jpg

Specs are official:

• Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
  • Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.

• SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
  • Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
  • Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
  • HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
  • 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

• Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
  • Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
  • Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.

Reactions: Brave Volunteer
Specs are official:

• Next Generation Custom Processor: Xbox Series X is our most powerful console ever powered by our custom designed processor leveraging AMD’s latest Zen 2 and RDNA 2 architectures. Delivering four times the processing power of an Xbox One and enabling developers to leverage 12 TFLOPS of GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) performance – twice that of an Xbox One X and more than eight times the original Xbox One. Xbox Series X delivers a true generational leap in processing and graphics power with cutting edge techniques resulting in higher framerates, larger, more sophisticated game worlds, and an immersive experience unlike anything seen in console gaming.
  • Variable Rate Shading (VRS): Our patented form of VRS empowers developers to more efficiently utilize the full power of the Xbox Series X. Rather than spending GPU cycles uniformly to every single pixel on the screen, they can prioritize individual effects on specific game characters or important environmental objects. This technique results in more stable frame rates and higher resolution, with no impact on the final image quality.
  • Hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing: You can expect more dynamic and realistic environments powered by hardware-accelerated DirectX Raytracing – a first for console gaming. This means true-to-life lighting, accurate reflections and realistic acoustics in real time as you explore the game world.

• SSD Storage: With our next-generation SSD, nearly every aspect of playing games is improved. Game worlds are larger, more dynamic and load in a flash and fast travel is just that – fast.
  • Quick Resume: The new Quick Resume feature lets you continue multiple games from a suspended state almost instantly, returning you to where you were and what you were doing, without waiting through long loading screens.
  • Dynamic Latency Input (DLI): We’re optimizing latency in the player-to-console pipeline starting with our Xbox Wireless Controller, which leverages our high bandwidth, proprietary wireless communication protocol when connected to the console. With Dynamic Latency Input (DLI), a new feature which synchronizes input immediately with what is displayed, controls are even more precise and responsive.
  • HDMI 2.1 Innovation: We’ve partnered with the HDMI forum and TV manufacturers to enable the best gaming experience through features such as Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) and Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). ALLM allows Xbox One and Xbox Series X to automatically set the connected display to its lowest latency mode. VRR synchronizes the display’s refresh rate to the game’s frame rate, maintaining smooth visuals without tearing. Ensuring minimal lag and the most responsive gaming experience.
  • 120 fps Support: With support for up to 120 fps, Xbox Series X allows developers to exceed standard 60 fps output in favor of heightened realism or fast-paced action.

• Four generations of gaming: Our commitment to compatibility means existing Xbox One games, including backward-compatible Xbox 360 and original Xbox games, look and play better than ever before. Your favorite games, including titles in Xbox Game Pass, benefit from steadier framerates, faster load times and improved resolution and visual fidelity – all with no developer work required. Your Xbox One gaming accessories also come forward with you.
  • Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.
  • Xbox Game Pass: In addition to games from across four generations of consoles, our leading game subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, will continue to have our first party games, like Halo Infinite, included at their launch. We look forward to millions of you experiencing the Xbox Game Pass portfolio and immersing yourselves in a deep library of high-quality games, playing those you love now and also discovering your next great adventure.

It's a damn beast for sure! Your move Sony!

It's a damn beast for sure! Your move Sony!

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how developers take advantage of that much power. I think we will see racing and fast-paced action games with 120 FPS options at 1080p or 1440p. The limiting factor is of course how few people have TVs with refresh rates over 60 hz. But I would imagine most TVs within the next 2-3 years will have that standard as part of their game modes.

Absolutely. It will be interesting to see how developers take advantage of that much power. I think we will see racing and fast-paced action games with 120 FPS options at 1080p or 1440p. The limiting factor is of course how few people have TVs with refresh rates over 60 hz. But I would imagine most TVs within the next 2-3 years will have that standard as part of their game modes.

The issue with a lot of TV's that support higher refresh rates is when you put them in "game mode," which is the ideal mode to play in due to reduced input lag, they limit them to 60hz.

The issue with a lot of TV's that support higher refresh rates is when you put them in "game mode," which is the ideal mode to play in due to reduced input lag, they limit them to 60hz.

Most of those TVs aren't true 120 hz or 240 hz or whatever though. It looks like more moving forward will be true 120 hz. Also will be interesting to see if how many people buy a Series X as a PC replacement and just hook it up to gaming monitors.

Most of those TVs aren't true 120 hz or 240 hz or whatever though. It looks like more moving forward will be true 120 hz. Also will be interesting to see if how many people buy a Series X as a PC replacement and just hook it up to gaming monitors.

Yeah I wonder about that with my TV actually. I still have a Panasonic VT60 plasma TV. (the PQ still looks so good I can't bring myself to upgrade yet). The spec list says it has a 3000hz refresh rate, which I don't even know what that means to me honestly or why it's listed so high. However if you put it in game mode, 60hz is the only option I have. When watching a blu ray, you can set it at 60hz or 96hz (which this mode introduces slight flicker). So I just keep it at 60hz all the time.

For me, honestly, 1080p/60fps is more than fine. If I can get every game at 1080p/60fps at max graphic settings from these consoles I'll be happy.

Yeah I wonder about that with my TV actually. I still have a Panasonic VT60 plasma TV. (the PQ still looks so good I can't bring myself to upgrade yet). The spec list says it has a 3000hz refresh rate, which I don't even know what that means to me honestly or why it's listed so high. However if you put it in game mode, 60hz is the only option I have. When watching a blu ray, you can set it at 60hz or 96hz (which this mode introduces slight flicker). So I just keep it at 60hz all the time.

For me, honestly, 1080p/60fps is more than fine. If I can get every game at 1080p/60fps at max graphic settings from these consoles I'll be happy.

300 hz is a laughable claim and should get Panasonic knocked for false advertising. A gaming monitor was just announced that can do 360 hz and it's a huge deal. 240 hz was the limit for a long time.

Your TV is "true" 60 hz which is standard, and the 96 hz mode is likely some sort of processed image that appears to be higher frame rate but is actually "guessing" the next frame. Hence that not being available in game mode because of the input lag it adds.

I think you'll be quite pleased with this next round of consoles if that's your preference. They should have plenty of horsepower to do even 4K 60 FPS, provided the developers don't go crazy with ray tracing and other computationally expensive effects.

PS5 will do the exact same thing. Theres just no getting around it if we want expandable storage at the same speed the internal drive is giving. You can still use a standard USB external drive to store your back catalogue but for next gen games, they will have to be stored on the new proprietary SSD.
I hope not. But you may be right. It's not a deal breaker. But it's annoying. Those things will turn into yet another overpriced peice of hardware.

Last edited:
PS5 will do the exact same thing. Theres just no getting around it if we want expandable storage at the same speed the internal drive is giving. You can still use a standard USB external drive to store your back catalogue but for next gen games, they will have to be stored on the new proprietary SSD.
It looks like Sony will go with off the shelf NVMe SSD drives for expansion, which is better than a proprietary slot. But there is going to be a certification process for hard drives to work based on how fast it is. That's annoying and SSD drives are pricey. Probably a wash unless Microsoft can make it's cards cheaper than existing NVMe drives.

VN Store

Back