New Year's Resolution: No More Music City Bowl (Ever)

WiseOlVol

1. Awful field/stadium.
2. If you're there, you suck (our defense sucked).
3. No upside, only downside, playing Big-10 middling teams.
4. It's no reward to play in Nashville in the winter.

Recommendation: If we're in running for Music City, lobby to go out west for a change of scenery.

Last edited:
I agree. HOWEVER, until we earn the level of respect on the field to call our own shots, the only vote we'd have is to refuse to participate in the bowl and stay home. The players might not like that.

First I would like to acknowledge we got jobbed on that game. However I hope Heupel learned a valuable lesson in that game. We had plenty of opportunities to win in regulation during that game. All in all it was a meaningless game, hopefully we can rectify our mistakes going forward and win in similar situations

Well the good news is that they are now considering building a new stadium since renovations are supposedly upwards of $1B, after originally thinking it would be $600K. They might consider a stadium with a retractable roof. I would gladly take a bowl game in that new stadium.

Long ago, when Nashville was a laid back burg, and death was but a dream, there was no NFL stadium, no Titans, no Music City Bowl. Every other year, the Vols played at Vanderbilt. That was it.

Maybe the stadium needs work. Maybe the stadium should be replaced. Still, it’s better for Nashville, for Tennessee, for CFB, and for the Vols that the Music City Bowl continues. Let investments continue. Let its prestige rise. Enjoy the opportunity to witness B1G and SEC teams play.

Folks, bowls are hosted by cities with much less to offer. Do not be quick to wish an end to the MCB.

Meaningless? Interesting. Meaningless to whom? No upside? Again. For who? It always amuses me when someone with no skin in the game calls it meaningless. Tell that to a senior who has never been in a bowl game. Or a senior playing his last game with his team. Is it meaningless to a team that’s up and coming and finally reached that bowl eligible mark for the first time in years, or ever? Or a team that is finally starting to come together and needs those extra practices? Granted, Tennessee is a larger program that should never settle but there are plenty of examples to say that these games mean plenty…to those who matter most. It’s laughable to see fans that may or may not attend, consume hot dogs and beer all game, say it’s a waste of time about a team that’s invested more than most of us could even imagine and are happy for that last opportunity either of the year or their career.

Sorry for the rant but I see this said a lot and today it set me off a little.

Terrible, wretched field conditions. Been that way for years. I live in Nashville & don't want the VOLs playing here again. Hope we don't have injuries during the spring game, should that be played in Titans stadium.:rolleyes:
The Titans didn't seem to have any problems with the field, even during rain. Not sure why it seemed like we were playing on ice.

Well the good news is that they are now considering building a new stadium since renovations are supposedly upwards of $1B, after originally thinking it would be $600K. They might consider a stadium with a retractable roof. I would gladly take a bowl game in that new stadium.

A couple of things.
Where would you build it that would come close to it's present spot? Very unique being able to walk from downtown or drive and park either one. Many people like to walk from the "fun" and hotel rooms to the game.
Now cost. If you think the increase in renovation expense is out of line, just wait until you see the cost for a new place. Just ask anyone in the construction industry what is going on with pricing. I also expect it will be very hard to convince voters to go along with public funds being forced on the tax burden this time around.
Oh yeah,,,, what the hell will you do with the stadium now in place? Play a hockey game every once in awhile, a high school game now and then, the ethnic game or two a season, a entertainment (won't call them music) show or two a year. The only thing to do would be to tear it down (that will be expensive). No just renovate if it is really necessary.

Meaningless? Interesting. Meaningless to whom? No upside? Again. For who? It always amuses me when someone with no skin in the game calls it meaningless. Tell that to a senior who has never been in a bowl game. Or a senior playing his last game with his team. Is it meaningless to a team that’s up and coming and finally reached that bowl eligible mark for the first time in years, or ever? Or a team that is finally starting to come together and needs those extra practices? Granted, Tennessee is a larger program that should never settle but there are plenty of examples to say that these games mean plenty…to those who matter most. It’s laughable to see fans that may or may not attend, consume hot dogs and beer all game, say it’s a waste of time about a team that’s invested more than most of us could even imagine and are happy for that last opportunity either of the year or their career.

I have been to two Music City Bowls, and hell yes, they are meaningless. I might not have that opinion if I had never attended one.

First I would like to acknowledge we got jobbed on that game. However I hope Heupel learned a valuable lesson in that game. We had plenty of opportunities to win in regulation during that game. All in all it was a meaningless game, hopefully we can rectify our mistakes going forward and win in similar situations
I wouldn't consider it a meaningless game, I love having that extra practice time. But I agree we had plenty of opportunities to put it away in regulation.

A couple of things.
Where would you build it that would come close to it's present spot? Very unique being able to walk from downtown or drive and park either one. Many people like to walk from the "fun" and hotel rooms to the game.
Now cost. If you think the increase in renovation expense is out of line, just wait until you see the cost for a new place. Just ask anyone in the construction industry what is going on with pricing. I also expect it will be very hard to convince voters to go along with public funds being forced on the tax burden this time around.
Oh yeah,,,, what the hell will you do with the stadium now in place? Play a hockey game every once in awhile, a high school game now and then, the ethnic game or two a season, a entertainment (won't call them music) show or two a year. The only thing to do would be to tear it down (that will be expensive). No just renovate if it is really necessary.
Tearing down and started over in the same location might be the only option. But I’m sure they are licking their chops to host a Super Bowl after the draft was such a success. Nashville has become a destination city and they are more than capable of hosting a Super Bowl. That would bring a ton of business to the area.

Reactions: savannahfan

I didn't say stay home. Remedial reading.

Tearing down and started over in the same location might be the only option. But I’m sure they are licking their chops to host a Super Bowl after the draft was such a success. Nashville has become a destination city and they are more than capable of hosting a Super Bowl. That would bring a ton of business to the area.

gonna need to take over all the scrap metal and parking lots to create a SB experience anywhere comparable to the event we just witnessed in LA - who's next in line to host the big show?

I didn't say stay home. Remedial reading.
I used my remedial skills to search for anywhere in my post where I referred to you advocating to stay home. I simply referred to you and a few others calling these games or opportunities meaningless or having no upside.

What you say is maybe the best solution for a site. But what do you do during the 2 to 4 years while they rebuild? Play at Vandy?? No I feel they will have to relocate. As to the super bowl, yes it would be a financial windfall. But it is still a "one shot deal". I expect it is becoming much like the Olympics, a burden on the taxpayers or countryman in some places, like China or Russia and a "windfall" for corp. owned hotels, etc. No if I were living in the Metro Nashville area, I would say "no let's just upgrade".

What you say is maybe the best solution for a site. But what do you do during the 2 to 4 years while they rebuild? Play at Vandy?? No I feel they will have to relocate. As to the super bowl, yes it would be a financial windfall. But it is still a "one shot deal". I expect it is becoming much like the Olympics, a burden on the taxpayers or countryman in some places, like China or Russia and a "windfall" for corp. owned hotels, etc. No if I were living in the Metro Nashville area, I would say "no let's just upgrade".
Yeah it’s definitely a burden on the taxpayers. These organizations should be forced to build their stadiums on their own dime. If they want to do fundraisers and have people donate then they can do that but it shouldn’t impact the taxpayers.

Reactions: savannahfan
I hate this bowl because every SEC team gets screwed by the ACC refs. It is obvious if go back and look at the games over the years. Unless the SEC team is 3 touchdowns better the refs have played a huge part in every SEC loss. Not just in our games but other SEC teams as well. Look it up.

I hate this bowl because every SEC team gets screwed by the ACC refs. It is obvious if go back and look at the games over the years. Unless the SEC team is 3 touchdowns better the refs have played a huge part in every SEC loss. Not just in our games but other SEC teams as well. Look it up.

Sorry, our D gave up 680 yards.

Reactions: vettefool

VN Store

Back