New transfer rules for non scholarship players

zachpack

I wonder if we will benefit or be hurt by the new rule? The way I understand it, non scholarship players can now transfer without penalty to any other D1 school. In the past they still had to sit out a year just like kids on scholarship.

Reactions: RollerVol
I feel kind of like Allen Iverson talking about practice. You're talking about walk-ons. How many actually see meaningful playing time? Benefit? Be hurt? I don't think it.

Reactions: RockyTopGolfer
I feel kind of like Allen Iverson talking about practice. You're talking about walk-ons. How many actually see meaningful playing time? Benefit? Be hurt? I don't think it.

Baseball is another animal as far as walk ons are concerned. Nick Sensel...preferred walk on. If you are an in state student who has good academics, you are usually a preferred walk on so they can save the 11.7 schollys for out of state kids.

Wow I missed this rule.
Hell of a Great rule if true. It will hurt schools like Tenn

if it benefits a player, then I'm for it...gives them a chance to go somewhere else to possibly play with no penalty...hurts or helps...only time will tell...

GO BIG ORANGE!

Almost every in-state player at every college fits into this category because they can get them as preferred walk-ons so it could really change baseball. It will make "conversations" with players who are not happy become more of the thing through family and acquaintances.

I wonder if we will benefit or be hurt by the new rule? The way I understand it, non scholarship players can now transfer without penalty to any other D1 school. In the past they still had to sit out a year just like kids on scholarship.

If the kid is going to leave, he is going to leave. The "will it hurt the school?" question is mute in most cases. (probably comes into play more with upperclassmen)
This is a great rule for the benefit of the kids!

I guess this totally eliminates the NCAA’s excuse of “it hurts the student’s academics to transfer so scholarship players need to sit out a year to get their academics in order before playing “ ? When is the court system going to rule in favor of the student athletes right to attend which ever school they choose and quit allowing the schools to place restrictions on the student athletes after the student leaves their university for another? It truly is a form of indentured servitude today.

Best think about this is a lot of Vandy players can leave without sitting out. Doubt it happens much but it's worth following
like anyone would transfer from Vanderbilt. It’s going to help them by making all players available to them. They could load up every year with transfers that need financial help.

I always though this was a good idea for football, never really thought much about it much in relation to baseball, but probably appropriate there to. (Who came up with that weird 11.7 number, why not just make it 12). Anyway, like football, this will mostly just be players who do not think they will get enough playing time who will transfer, maybe a few who can get a scholarship somewhere else. I don't think it will hurt Tennessee any more than anyone else, same problem for everyone.

I’m thinking we may benefit some. We have some really aggressive recruiters that may take advantage of it. On the downside, so do some other teams in the area. We also always usually have some important contributors that aren’t getting a penny, that may feel like someone else may appreciate them more.

I'd like to know but I assume the rule won't allow a walk on that is being put on $ to leave a school without penalty.

Anyone know?

like anyone would transfer from Vanderbilt. It’s going to help them by making all players available to them. They could load up every year with transfers that need financial help.

Well there has been a number of players over the years transfer from Vandy

And as far as them loading up they already do but they actually stay close to the line of 35 unlike the Vols

Only a guess but I would think unless you were enrolled in classes, and have the scholarship, you could leave.

The smartest thing would be any kid that isn't going to be on money the next year is free To leave without sitting out. That's how is shoud be done

VN Store

Back