New Rivals 150

Just a difference of opinion I guess. I've leaned that money can get you lots of things in college sports, if we had decided to pony up $4 million for a coach and make a statement we could have. Indiana was in MESS that dwarfed our situation, but made a great hire in Crean.

Once again, timing. Not agreeing with it but understand the AD thinking. At the time I believe we were paying multiple buyouts already and the NCAA was sniffing around. Our roster was depleted and you'd be replacing a rock star. If I'm a college coach, there's other schools out there that would match dollars and hire me and I'm not walking into that mess. We would have had to overpay substantially to get a top flight coach.

Basketball is a little different in that you can win at lots of places so coaches aren't as easily enticed to move.

Just a difference of opinion I guess. I've leaned that money can get you lots of things in college sports, if we had decided to pony up $4 million for a coach and make a statement we could have. Indiana was in MESS that dwarfed our situation, but made a great hire in Crean.

I really hate this argument from you.....It doesnt matter what Zo makes or what our AD may or may not think about our basketball team. Our standards as fans should not change.

Reactions: 1 person
Here's the breakdown of the Tennessee class from Eric Bossi, rivals national analyst.

"Actually, Cofer went up 23 spots in this update, so not everybody is dropping and Turman was unranked to begin with. Cofer is an extreme athlete with an extreme motor who is all over the glass and flies from one end to another. I love his energy and thought he deserved a boost.These are all physical, tough guys but I don't see a lot of skill in the class and I don't see much shooting ability.

Austin is a very, very good on the ball defender. He's also a solid driver. But, he's not much of a threat with the jumper (he only even took 5 three pointers in 18 EYBL League games) which makes him easier to defend as he goes on and can't just bully past defenders off the dribble. I do think he's a leader, though, and that an his defense are what keeps him ranked. Cornish is strong, but he is a poor shooter. Only 35% overall (and about 27% from three) in Nike's EYBL and he shot poorly again at Reebok's Breakout camp in July. There's a pretty consistent trend of him struggling with his shot.

Turman is solid. He is physical, he's not that bad athletically and he will play hard. I like his fight in the lane. As a scorer, I've not seen much out of him other than being a garbage man type. Have to have a few post moves as a big man.

I look at that class and think to myself they will be tough and will play very good defense, but I have to wonder how they will score. Skill development is going to be huge with them."

I really hate this argument from you.....It doesnt matter what Zo makes or what our AD may or may not think about our basketball team. Our standards as fans should not change.

So allowing Martin 2 years to get to this point was inexcusable in your opinion? He didn't go to NCAAs or pull in any top-25 teams, yet here we are, primed for a top-25 season.

Nobodies telling you to change your standards...just trying to put some reality into your head. You can b!tch and moan about how we suck and out coach sucks because we finish 2nd in the SEC but miss the dance, or you can realize that our AD isn't all that unhappy with the result. Your beef lies with the AD, take it up with him.

I think if Calban uses Butler instead of Wichita State his point stands. They have consistently, under 2 different coaches, made the tournament. Including the 2 Championship games.

I understand that you would much rather have a team of 5 star guys, but there are equalizers. Getting the right staff, players that fit your system (regardless of * ranking), etc...

I agree, andmstarted to post the exact same thing yesterday. I just didn't have the energy, nor did I really care enough to defend that position countless times.

Once again, timing. Not agreeing with it but understand the AD thinking. At the time I believe we were paying multiple buyouts already and the NCAA was sniffing around. Our roster was depleted and you'd be replacing a rock star. If I'm a college coach, there's other schools out there that would match dollars and hire me and I'm not walking into that mess. We would have had to overpay substantially to get a top flight coach.

Basketball is a little different in that you can win at lots of places so coaches aren't as easily enticed to move.

It's all about money 99% of the time, you'll never convince me that if we dangled $4 million out there that we couldn't have gotten a more proven coach. Supposedly Greg Marshall was lobbying for the job, he was a more proven candidate.

Lol not everyone but you know. I just don't get it. Martin can do nothing right according to some people.

I hear ya man. Here is my 2 cents on some peoples short/non-existent leash for CCM. We went from having a guy who loved having the camera on him and was very involved with the fans to CCM, who we have found to be a guy who loves his players, his system, and keepin it close to his chest.

Not to mention as a society we are some spoiled individuals. Give fans a few years success and they think they are entitled to it forever. Not taking into account the time and work it usually takes to get there, or the circumstances they might be in. Having said that IF, I repeat IF we underachieve this year with the talent and leadership we have on this team, then I will be as critical as the next Legionaire. not gonna happen tho.
:peace2:

It's all about money 99% of the time, you'll never convince me that if we dangled $4 million out there that we couldn't have gotten a more proven coach. Supposedly Greg Marshall was lobbying for the job, he was a more proven candidate.

Yeah, we could have paid Greg Marshall $4 million. Hell, why not just pay him $10 million while we are at it. He had never made a sweet 16 in his life at that point.

That guy has interviewed everywhere for years and been passed up. He makes one run in the tourney and now he's the flavor of the month.

Actually, I'm as concerned with CCM's system as the recruiting. He's playing a dated, Keady influenced style. Recruit a big dog and surround him with role players.
Take no risks on defense. Where he differs is on offense and not in a good way. It looks to me like the motion offense puts a premium on shooters, while CCM is loading up on non-shooters.

I hope he is evolving as a coach, because his system isn't very impressive yet.

Agree...especially with the defense. No chances taken equal no easy buckets, and while it may minimize the easy buckets you give up, it leads to the slow, plodding style of play we have seem for two years now. Our absence of shooters is all the more apparent in a slow, halfcourt game.

Agree...especially with the defense. No chances taken equal no easy buckets, and while it may minimize the easy buckets you give up, it leads to the slow, plodding style of play we have seem for two years now. Our absence of shooters is all the more apparent in a slow, halfcourt game.

You guys have a good point.

Yeah, we could have paid Greg Marshall $4 million. Hell, why not just pay him $10 million while we are at it. He had never made a sweet 16 in his life at that point.

That guy has interviewed everywhere for years and been passed up. He makes one run in the tourney and now he's the flavor of the month.

I was using him as one example of a guy who was more proven and wanted the job, that's all. The, Martin was the best available, just simply isn't true. And due to the fact that Marshall supposedly was begging for the job, I highly doubt you'd have to pay him $4 million. Larry Brown just went to SMU, Gotfried to Nc State, etc etc the list is a mile long of guys who were more proven. The point simply is, is jf we wanted to hire a more proven coach we could've.

Shouldn't be nearly as apparent this year.

I was using him as one example of a guy who was more proven and wanted the job, that's all. The, Martin was the best available, just simply isn't true. And due to the fact that Marshall supposedly was begging for the job, I highly doubt you'd have to pay him $4 million. Larry Brown just went to SMU, Gotfried to Nc State, etc etc the list is a mile long of guys who were more proven. The point simply is, is jf we wanted to hire a more proven coach we could've.
He was perfect in the respect that he had a squeaky clean image, low profile personality and would rock any boats. I think those characteristics were more important to the committee than winning lots of games.

Shouldn't be nearly as apparent this year.

I would hope not with three legit SEC POY candidates in the starting 5. You can play any system you want with enough talent. Which is why CCM needs to out recruit the other schools by a good margin to move ahead.

So allowing Martin 2 years to get to this point was inexcusable in your opinion? He didn't go to NCAAs or pull in any top-25 teams, yet here we are, primed for a top-25 season.

I havent called for Martin to be fired unless it was based off emotion....catch me during a bad game and I might on occassion want everyone fired but I dont think he deserves to be fired yet.

I have alot of doubts whether he is the man from that will be able to get it done. My standards from our coach is to be a consistent NCAA tourney team and have consistent recruiting classes in the top 20-25.

Guess the AD thought they'd rather have Martin at 1.3 than Marshall at $3. It's easy to say Marshall would've been great hire since he's fresh off his final 4 run. He's interviewed for UT job multiple times and South Carolina as well. Must be some reason he's been turned down.

I'm not knocking the hire of CCM. But my expectations for UT won't change because of who the head coach is. It's a good program with great facilities and enough in state and regional talent to win.

I would rather take a chance on Zo than to hire Gottfried.

I would rather take a chance on Zo than to hire Gottfried.

Guess the AD thought they'd rather have Martin at 1.3 than Marshall at $3. It's easy to say Marshall would've been great hire since he's fresh off his final 4 run. He's interviewed for UT job multiple times and South Carolina as well. Must be some reason he's been turned down.

I'm not knocking the hire of CCM. But my expectations for UT won't change because of who the head coach is. It's a good program with great facilities and enough in state and regional talent to win.

This and this. :good!:

What I do find funny is that everyone seems to be saying let's go off rivals and not look anywhere else. Someone could just as easily come along and say, we have four 4* committed and a top 5 class currently and they would be 100% accurate. It a depends on what service you want to go off of, and lets be honest, outside of the top 20 it's mostly a crap shoot anyways.

I prefer to use 247 which has us at 20 and dropping right now. Honestly ESPN is my least favorite and I never look at it. I think my grandpa is ranked a 4* by them.

I prefer to use 247 which has us at 20 and dropping right now. Honestly ESPN is my least favorite and I never look at it. I think my grandpa is ranked a 4* by them.

Yeah but he's got hops, and range as soon as he steps in the gym! If he still has eligibility left we still have 1 spot open.

I would hope not with three legit SEC POY candidates in the starting 5. You can play any system you want with enough talent. Which is why CCM needs to out recruit the other schools by a good margin to move ahead.

I was simply referring to lack of shooters lol

VN Store

Back