New Ranking after toppling #1

Oh my god who cares about if there is a target or not it literally has no effect

It doesn’t matter right now. I can not believe how many people here are obsessed about a ranking in December. Win and it takes care of itself. Lose, and it takes care of itself. I just don’t get the obsession with rankings.

Then you're in the wrong thread, no?

It's not an obsession but rather a discussion about what ranking the Vols will and/or should have.

I think one can make an argument for 3, but hard to see that actually happening. I would personally still have the Zags above us. They are a great team, and that makes this win that much sweeter to me.
Huh? You would simply put them ahead of us because it makes our win look better?

Reactions: cardvolfan
To be honest, I think they’ll keep many teams ahead of us... maybe even Gonzaga. Don’t be surprised if we are #5 or 6. Pundits high on EVERY team in front of us. Michigan Kansas Nevada and Virginia have had close calls, but not lost. Duke and Gonzaga’s one loss was to “top 5 teams”. I realize Vols only loss was in OT to Kansas but I just don’t see them having them above MOST those teams for like #3.

As someone said on here, doesn’t really matter. Just play for a 2 seed. Bound to slip up a few times in SEC, so this win is big come selection Sunday.

Nevada could easily go undefeated. Their schedule is essentially a cake walk. Their conference is incredibly weak this year.

Rankings this time of year may not matter all that much for this year's team. However, the higher we are ranked, the more publicity we will receive. This can definitely help as we try to recruit top flight recruits.

Reactions: Vols410
I don’t see us passing Michigan honestly . NCAA has been talking about how good there defense is all day .

Final 4 imo

Tennessee
Kansas
Michigan
Gonzaga

We actually may not move up at all no one lost in front of us

I hate to be that guy but...Gonzaga. They'll still be ranked in front of us but Duke has a loss and their above unbeaten teams. It should be no difference for us. We are one overtime loss (Verse #2 in the nation) away from being the #1 ranked team and the country right now.

Reactions: aWhiteLoftonChism
I don’t see us passing Michigan honestly . NCAA has been talking about how good there defense is all day .

Final 4 imo

Tennessee
Kansas
Michigan
Gonzaga

Unless Duke has several player going through slumps they'll be in the final 4. I really hope they aren't in our bracket.

1 Kansas
2 Duke
3 Virginia
4 Michigan
5 Tennessee
6 Gonzaga
7 Nevada
8 Auburn
9 Michigan State
10 Florida State

Last edited:
Should be ahead of Duke. Two one-loss teams. We beat the team that beat them.

I would do:

1. Kansas
2. Michigan
3. Tennessee
4. Gonzaga
5. Duke
6. Virginia
I think this is how it SHOULD be not sure it's how they will vote. We'll definitely move ahead of Gonzaga and the voters won't penalize them much. I think them beating Duke is still fresh in their minds, as is TNs one crappy goal tending call from beating Kansas game we lost in overtime! Not sold on Michigan yet but no problem with them at 2.

These rankings don’t matter.

What is known is that Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, and UT can all beat each other on any given night.

The elite 8 is going to be a rough road no matter who is in the brackets.

Reactions: EricberryFAN
To be honest, I think they’ll keep many teams ahead of us... maybe even Gonzaga. Don’t be surprised if we are #5 or 6. Pundits high on EVERY team in front of us. Michigan Kansas Nevada and Virginia have had close calls, but not lost. Duke and Gonzaga’s one loss was to “top 5 teams”. I realize Vols only loss was in OT to Kansas but I just don’t see them having them above MOST those teams for like #3.

As someone said on here, doesn’t really matter. Just play for a 2 seed. Bound to slip up a few times in SEC, so this win is big come selection Sunday.
May be to our advantage if they rank us below the Zags. Keep the Vols playing with a chip on their shoulder headed into conference play.

Reactions: LAVol1
This was a great win but Tennessee isn't going to get a big bounce in the polls from this victory. No one in front of UT in the polls this week lost except Gonzaga. So there is a good chance Tennessee moves up just one spot or stay right where they were at No. 7 because Gonzaga isn't going to fall too far.

TN moves very little. Few voters likely saw the first 5 minutes when TN probably played their best basketball. Most saw the end when TN was in a 9 point deficit and was pretty lucky knocking down several NBA range 3-pointers to take over (including one bank shot that I'm pretty sure Admiral didn't call).

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back