New question.

Volnanza

I think it was against Campbell. Campbell had a runner on 3rd. There were 2 outs. It seems that the announcers were not paying much attention to the field and all of a sudden, the Campbell player is trapped between 3rd and home plate and we throw him out. What happened? It was a huge play at the time.

I think it was against Campbell. Campbell had a runner on 3rd. There were 2 outs. It seems that the announcers were not paying much attention to the field and all of a sudden, the Campbell player is trapped between 3rd and home plate and we throw him out. What happened? It was a huge play at the time.
I believe there was runners on first and third. Runner on first took off trying to get Kirby to either balk or try to get him out. Runner on third broke home and Kirby threw the pitch and they got the guy out. It was a play that just goes to show you they were prepared for and it shows the high baseball IQ of this team and staff

Were you listening to the John Wilkerson broadcast? I thought it was explained quite well? I mean all of a sudden caught in a run down. He's leading off 3rd, ball gets to the catcher and almost instantly Wilkerson went into the call of what was happening. There is no way anyone could have known that play was coming or to "watch for it" Really not sure what you would have hoped the call would have been?

There are all type of the ole first and third double steal play.

If the Campbell Clowns had truly executed it correctly, the hitter should have swung the bat which would have hit Charlie in his side resulting in catcher interference and a dead ball.

Glad the clown show got cancelled.

The runner on third broke halfway down the line as the pitcher was in his move toward home. Kirby threw the ball high so the batter wasn’t able to protect the runner. Dead in the water. I’m not sure if Tennessee had suspicions this could be coming based on previous games’ video.

The runner on third broke halfway down the line as the pitcher was in his move toward home. Kirby threw the ball high so the batter wasn’t able to protect the runner. Dead in the water. I’m not sure if Tennessee had suspicions this could be coming based on previous games’ video.

There was an earlier play in which a Camel took off to steal 3rd before Dollander had really started his wind up, but Chase couldn't see him. I wonder if that made us look out for it.

Pretty sure Kirby stepped off. The reason they tried this is because we had a lefty on the mound. He handled it exactly like he was supposed to. Our pitchers are well coached obviously

I think the pitchers are definitely improving with managing base runners.

Most of the pitchers are young and probably haven't had much time to learn this at the collegiate level. High leg kicks have not helped.

Frank Anderson knows what he is doing. It's all part of the process.

Unless the runner screwed up the only thing it could have been was a squeeze play. He was way too far and early for a double steal. He has to have a good lead and make sure the ball leaves Charlie's hand.

Very well handled by a backup catcher and Kirby.

Double steal. Hitter had 2 strikes and didn’t look confident so coach wanted to initiate action and attempt to bait Kirby into a balk. It didn’t work as he and Chuck played it perfectly by Kirby stepping off rubber and throwing to Chuck to nab the runner in a run down.

Unless the runner screwed up the only thing it could have been was a squeeze play. He was way too far and early for a double steal. He has to have a good lead and make sure the ball leaves Charlie's hand.

Very well handled by a backup catcher and Kirby.
It actually was a called play from the dugout. The old little league double steal with a runner on 1st and 3rd. They were hoping to create a balk situation.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I believe there was runners on first and third. Runner on first took off trying to get Kirby to either balk or try to get him out. Runner on third broke home and Kirby threw the pitch and they got the guy out. It was a play that just goes to show you they were prepared for and it shows the high baseball IQ of this team and staff
It was a pitch out on the fly. Once the runner broke home the catcher stood up and Kirby threw high and outside and caught runner dead to rights. Your right, that is a high baseball IQ and seemed they had maybe practiced it before. We have the best coach in the SEC hands down.

It was a pitch out on the fly. Once the runner broke home the catcher stood up and Kirby threw high and outside and caught runner dead to rights. Your right, that is a high baseball IQ and seemed they had maybe practiced it before. We have the best coach in the SEC hands down.

I wonder what they would have called if the Campbell player had swung the bat hitting Charlie....?

Ok. I can give clarity. Two strikes runners on first and third. First breaks early to hopefully draw throw or balk from LHP. If he throws runner breaks toward home.
According to Kirby, the runner on third gave it away when he did not get the same lead he had been getting. He also said batter had moved his position in the batters box which was interesting Kirby stepped off and threw home and got the runner on third out in the rundown. Interesting part is Kirby never saw the kid break for second. But would not have done anything other than pitch if he had.

It was not a pitchout because he stepped off the rubber.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Ok. I can give clarity. Two strikes runners on first and third. First breaks early to hopefully draw throw or balk from LHP. If he throws runner breaks toward home.
According to Kirby, the runner on third gave it away when he did not get the same lead he had been getting. He also said batter had moved his position in the batters box which was interesting Kirby stepped off and threw home and got the runner on third out in the rundown. Interesting part is Kirby never saw the kid break for second. But would not have done anything other than pitch if he had.
Thanks for the clarity. Very smart and awesome on Kirby recognizing the tips they gave him. That’s some awesome stuff.

Great work KIRBY!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for explaining what happened. Other than "the runner got hung up" there was no real explanation about what happened and there were no reviews of the play that I saw. It was a huge play in the game and had Kirby not noticed, we could have been playing out of the losers bracket. Tony has these guys locked in. Nobody outsmarts them.

VN Store

Back