New NBA draft rules

It might have worked out that they made the team and got a contract, but no second rounder is guaranteed anything on draft night. Get cut, and it’s overseas.

As for cheap labor, you are confusing the NBA with the NFL. NFL has a hard cap and 50+ players. NBA has a soft cap (which means it can be exceeded) and only 15 players. Cheap labor is important in the NFL but not so much in the NBA.

You are technically correct about nothing being guaranteed on draft night but if you are a top 50 draft pick, you are going to get some type of guaranteed money. You have to be really awful in the Summer League not to get that and if that's the case, you weren't a NBA player to begin with.

You are right about the NFL as well but the cheap labor still exists in the NBA. That explains why teams such as the Golden State Warriors are buying 2nd round draft choices to fill out their roster......

Then the NBA needs to move the draft up. This could really mess up recruiting. Do you think coaches are going to hold open spots for a player that might go undrafted? Nope.

This rule basically improves the integrity of sports agencies/agents.
The last thing an agent wants to happen, is to lose their relationship with a client.
In the past, agents had the leverage. Even if a player wouldn’t get drafted, the agent would push their player oversees. Now, the players have the say so.
The main issue will be how the schools/NCAA adapt to the recruiting process/players coming back?

Then the NBA needs to move the draft up. This could really mess up recruiting. Do you think coaches are going to hold open spots for a player that might go undrafted? Nope.

I agree. The NCAA needs to figure something out. Kids coming back on a “NBAshirt”?

Lots of schools go with less than the limit of scholarship players

Lots of schools go with less than the limit of scholarship players
Is that by choice though? The problem will be how recruits will be recruited. Less kids will “commit” early on. It’s not just being on the team. It’s about how many minutes they can get

Is that by choice though? The problem will be how recruits will be recruited. Less kids will “commit” early on. It’s not just being on the team. It’s about how many minutes they can get

I'm curious how many kids this actually effects. I'd say not many players will stay in the draft and end up back at school

Basically, if you don't get a good grade and are on that 1st Rnd / 2nd Rnd line, it's wise to pull your name out because your gambling. With Grant, I don't think it matters. I don't see his status improving from this year to the next. It's a weak draft so he'd be silly not to go but I wouldn't be shocked to see him back. Bone on the other hand....I just have a hard time seeing him going in the first round. I think he's the best PG in the SEC and top 5 in the country but he could be a for sure first round pick with another season like he had.

After hearing these announcements of players declaring I have learned to listen carefully

Williams is hiring an agent but not forgoing his senior year. That means he isn't taking anything more than advice and travel expenses from the agent and can come back if he chooses.

Harper declared today and said he was hiring an agent and is forgoing his senior year. That means he is taking the $ now and gone for sure

Reactions: Vols All Day

VN Store

Back