New NBA draft rules

BruinVol

I thought this needed its own thread because there is going to a lot of talk about this the next few months and these are huge changes

Thanks to the op yesterday for posting this info

So now a player CAN hire an agent and still return to school if they aren't drafted.

And also this is something I think is going to happen with some players and might end up being the case with Grant. I expect agents to tell NBA teams that is their client isn't drafted in the first round then don't draft them in the second round so they can come back to school. This happens a lot in the MLB draft

I don’t see how it allows a player drafted in the second round to return to school. It looks like the NBA teams have the leverage in that situation.

Am I missing something?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
I don’t see how it allows a player drafted in the second round to return to school. It looks like the NBA teams have the leverage in that situation.

Am I missing something?
If they go undrafted, they can return to school.

Am I missing something?

You are correct if they are drafted at all they can't come back. I am saying the agents will tell teams not to select them unless they are taking them in the first round in some cases

You are correct if they are drafted at all they can't come back. I am saying the agents will tell teams not to select them unless they are taking them in the first round in some cases
That sounds good, but the player has no leverage in that situation. So an NBA team can draft a guy to hold his rights, couldn’t they? I get what you’re saying, but it’s a business. A shrewd one, at that.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83 and EZE
That sounds good, but the player has no leverage in that situation. So an NBA team can draft a guy to hold his rights, couldn’t they? I get what you’re saying, but it’s a business. A shrewd one, at that.

Yes they could that is true but I'd say in most cases they would honor that. Mlb is very different but in most cases teams agree to hold off in such cases

The issue is this pushes the timeline longer for schools knowing who is returning and who isn't

Reactions: Kinger
For many of these top players, agents (or their runners) and shoe companies have been in contact with these players since they were in HS. The agents aren't going to delay getting paid (and the lucrative 2nd contract) by telling NBA teams to not draft a player in the 2nd round....

For many of these top players, agents (or their runners) and shoe companies have been in contact with these players since they were in HS. The agents aren't going to delay getting paid (and the lucrative 2nd contract) by telling NBA teams to not draft a player in the 2nd round....

Meh. Happens all the time in the agent industry. 2nd round contracts aren't guaranteed. Agents see 1st round contracts as much better even if they have to wait

Reactions: EZE
Meh. Happens all the time in the agent industry. 2nd round contracts aren't guaranteed. Agents see 1st round contracts as much better even if they have to wait

A lot more teams are guaranteeing 2nd round contracts now, especially those in the top half of the 2nd round.

Since the NBA only guarantees contracts for first rounders, the NCAA should allow any player not drafted in the first round to return to school.

It would not only help underclassmen by allowing them to return, but it would likely cause more seniors to get drafted and reward those who completed their college eligibility. Making the team would still be tenuous at best, but at least they would get a shot.

Then i could see an agent saying guarantee the contract or don't pick us. The key here is kids now can legally have an agent rep them which is long over due

Why would they guarantee it when they don’t have to do so?

Now, if the player makes the team, they might give him a multi year deal. But they don’t have to guarantee anything by merely drafting him in the second round.

Yes they could that is true but I'd say in most cases they would honor that. Mlb is very different but in most cases teams agree to hold off in such cases
Just don’t see that being the case in the NBA. A lot more players to go around in the MLB. If a team announces Grant even if he asks them not to in the second round, what’s he going to do, not show up? Very limited options, and the NBA team gets a borderline first rounder.

It may happen in the MLB, but it’s a completely different business.

Why would they guarantee it when they don’t have to do so?

Now, if the player makes the team, they might give him a multi year deal. But they don’t have to guarantee anything by merely drafting him in the second round.

My post was referring to the op saying some 2nd round contracts at guaranteed. I don't know if that's true or not

That makes no sense.

Over the past 4 years, all players drafted in the Top 50 (which includes 20 2nd rounders) have had at least 1 year fully guaranteed and many have got the 2nd year guaranteed. It makes sense since 2nd rounders are the cheapest labor out there since they are less than .5% of the salary cap.

I just see a chance that a team drafting in the lottery has a 1st rd grade on someone like Grant Williams, but has a chance to draft someone like Darius Garland with their 1st rd pick, I could see them grabbing GW in the 2nd believing they got a steal.

I just see a chance that a team drafting in the lottery has a 1st rd grade on someone like Grant Williams, but has a chance to draft someone like Darius Garland with their 1st rd pick, I could see them grabbing GW in the 2nd believing they got a steal.

Sure always possible

GMs relationships with agents are a factor here as well. It's why choosing the right one is important for a lot of reasons but especially if my thinking is involved

Over the past 4 years, all players drafted in the Top 50 (which includes 20 2nd rounders) have had at least 1 year fully guaranteed and many have got the 2nd year guaranteed. It makes sense since 2nd rounders are the cheapest labor out there since they are less than .5% of the salary cap.

That's good info. How big of a difference in pay from 1st to 2nd round?

That's good info. How big of a difference in pay from 1st to 2nd round?

It varies, Omari Spellman (last pick of first round) gets $3.5MM guaranteed (2 years plus team option for 2 years. After that, he's a restricted free agent).

Javon Carter (2nd pick of 2nd round) gets $2.3MM guaranteed (2 years plus team option for 3rd year at $1.92M. After that, he's a restricted free agent)

Jalen Brunson (3rd pick of 2nd round) gets $2.7MM guaranteed (2 years plus team options for 2 more years. After that, he's an unrestricted free agent)

If a 2nd round draft pick is a risk to go overseas, then he may actually make more than some late first rounders....

It varies, Omari Spellman (last pick of first round) gets $3.5MM guaranteed (2 years plus team option for 2 years. After that, he's a restricted free agent).

Javon Carter (2nd pick of 2nd round) gets $2.3MM guaranteed (2 years plus team option for 3rd year at $1.92M. After that, he's a restricted free agent)

Jalen Brunson (3rd pick of 2nd round) gets $2.7MM guaranteed (2 years plus team options for 2 more years. After that, he's an unrestricted free agent)

Thanks good info

It might have worked out that they made the team and got a contract, but no second rounder is guaranteed anything on draft night. Get cut, and it’s overseas.

As for cheap labor, you are confusing the NBA with the NFL. NFL has a hard cap and 50+ players. NBA has a soft cap (which means it can be exceeded) and only 15 players. Cheap labor is important in the NFL but not so much in the NBA.

VN Store

Back