New ESPN Hoopgurlz 2020 rankings

Van Lith - I was watching some of the u-tube promos on the players the LVs were recruiting and for most players less than 1000 watches:
Van Lith has a half million on some and 250000 on others. She definitely has a cult following!

Reactions: BUBear
never heard of her

In case you still haven’t watched:
She’s a Lefty. Full throttle/Incredible work ethic - works out with dad hours a day ...after team practice. Very Confident! Strong!
Becoming a great shooter; very quick release.

The guard rated a little higher - Caitlin Clark - is also very impressive ...and a few inches taller than Van Lith. She can go off from long range, or drive, dish, etc. Had a SIXTY point game.

If given the choice of the two? A really tough call; but Clark has tremendous vision, and perhaps a broader (left or right-handed) game. Just thinking out loud. Cheers.

That's Hoop Gurlz for ya!
I’ve always thought that is just so absurd. It makes the term “five star” very relative. To expect 54 girls to live up to a five star ranking just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, and I think it is bad for the girls too. Realistically it should be 20-25 like it is on the mens’ side.

I remember S Gatewood being an all world workout monster. Her body was shot/wornout by the time she was 21yo.

Just perusing the rankings I flipped over to 2021 and noticed they added Denim DeShields, I am assuming Diamond's little sister since it is the same HS. Quite a bit shorter than Diamond, but it should be interesting to see how she progresses.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Just perusing the rankings I flipped over to 2021 and noticed they added Denim DeShields, I am assuming Diamond's little sister since it is the same HS. Quite a bit shorter than Diamond, but it should be interesting to see how she progresses.
Diamond's sister's name is Denim...?

Damn, parents had low expectations for that one :cool:

Van Lith - I was watching some of the u-tube promos on the players the LVs were recruiting and for most players less than 1000 watches:
Van Lith has a half million on some and 250000 on others. She definitely has a cult following!
Things that HVL has accomplished since Hoop Gurlz downgraded her:

* MVP of FIBA 3X3

*Made the USA U19 roster...as a 17 y.o.

Diamond went to Norcross. Denim is attending McEachern the same high school that Te’a Cooper went to.

I’ve always thought that is just so absurd. It makes the term “five star” very relative. To expect 54 girls to live up to a five star ranking just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense, and I think it is bad for the girls too. Realistically it should be 20-25 like it is on the mens’ side.
The best of the best left Hoop Gurlz several years ago and started Prospect Nation due in part to your example. Hoop Gurlz has progressively become worse, IMO.

Reactions: Will83
I remember S Gatewood being an all world workout monster. Her body was shot/wornout by the time she was 21yo.

Good point, gule.
And, IIRC, Jackie Stiles suffered a similar fate, after her college playing days.
Whether either, or both were more pre-disposed than others, or that their symptoms are the result of the workouts is open to debate; but there are examples (Larry Bird comes to mind) to suggests the latter be the case.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back