New commit: MS S John Slaughter

Slaughter deserves more love here than his 3-star 247 ranking warrants.

Legit S prospect with all the right measurables: 6’ 1 1/2”, already 200lbs, confident workhorse, great speed, FREAKISH wingspan, flying under the radar bc he plays in Southaven and didn’t hype his recruiting by doing a lot of camps.

Apparently he’s been #1 all along on the Vols ‘23 D board for S and the feeling was mutual. Never even took an official visit to Ole Miss yet got the offer; not sure if same at FSU.

Kid appears to be an overlooked diamond in the rough with tremendous upside potential.

That’s basically where we are recruiting-wise right now outside of some exceptional NIL situations like Nico. And IMO that’s basically where we’ve always been in my lifetime.

We’re the biggest overachieving underdog in SEC history we’ve got NO monster in-state recruiting base yet we built an iconic program by finding overlooked underrated players and coaching them up hard while mixing in a handful of superstars at key positions.

Slaughter fits right in and I hope he develops into a star.

Legit S prospect with all the right measurables: 6’ 1 1/2”, already 200lbs, confident workhorse, great speed, FREAKISH wingspan, flying under the radar bc he plays in Southaven and didn’t hype his recruiting by doing a lot of camps.

Apparently he’s been #1 all along on the Vols ‘23 D board for S and the feeling was mutual. Never even took an official visit to Ole Miss yet got the offer; not sure if same at FSU.

Kid appears to be an overlooked diamond in the rough with tremendous upside potential.

That’s basically where we are recruiting-wise right now outside of some exceptional NIL situations like Nico. And IMO that’s basically where we’ve always been in my lifetime.

We’re the biggest overachieving underdog in SEC history we’ve got NO monster in-state recruiting base yet we built an iconic program by finding overlooked underrated players and coaching them up hard while mixing in a handful of superstars at key positions.

Not sure how old you are, but in the 90s the Vols had several top 5 classes... Several classes were number 1 or 2 in the SEC..

We’re not permanently relegated to finding diamonds in the rough I guarantee you. Butch had a couple of top 5 classes and Pruitt had the no1 class before it all came unraveled. We are one of the top 10 programs historically. And our average recruiting class should be right around that threshold. If anything the fact that we have continued to achieve fringe top 10 classes over the past decade is a testament to the school. We have not had consistent or competent coaching staffs over that time frame and our two most important rivals we need to win recruiting battles against (Bama and Georgia) are in the midst of the greatest runs in their history.
If we can have a great year this year it will totally validate Josh Heuple and we could easily see those classes break into the top five. Look at what a school like Clemson was able to accomplish once they broke through and got in the championship hunt. Also, Saban will eventually retire which should create some instability there increasing our chances to slid in to Alabama for a recruit here and there. And finally…Tennessee is producing more instate talent than ever before. Simple picking up half of the top 25 in state kids will go a long ways towards a great class alone. You are undervaluing our program’s reach and our homegrown talent.

Last edited:
We’re not permanently relegated to finding diamonds in the rough I guarantee you. Butch had a couple of top 5 classes and Pruitt had the no1 class before it all came unraveled. We are one of the top 10 programs historically. And our average recruiting class should be right around that threshold. If anything the fact that we have continued to achieve French top 10 classes over the past decade is a testament to the school. We have not had consistent or competent coaching staffs over that time frame and our two most important rivals we need to win recruiting battles against (Bama and Georgia) are in the midst of the greatest runs in their history.
If we can have a great year this year it will totally validate Josh Heuple and we could easily see those classes break into the top five. Look at what a school like Clemson was able to accomplish once they broke through and got in the championship hunt. Also, Saban will eventually retire which should create some instability there increasing our chances to slid in to Alabama for a recruit here and there. And finally…Tennessee is producing more instate talent than ever before. Simple picking up half of the top 25 in state kids will go a long ways towards a great class alone. You are undervaluing our program’s reach and our homegrown talent.
Oui!

Reactions: OneVolNation

VN Store

Back