New Coaching Search???

Flopped at Texas...

1) Brenda Frese
2) Becky Hammon
3) Wes Moore (there is no way the search would go any further than him)

Brenda Frese would be a horrible choice from a moral standpoint. She did CPS very wrong and she recruits dirty. It would be a HUGE slap in the face to CPS if she were even allowed to be in our building. I love her energy on the sideline. I think if she played by the rules she would be welcomed with open arms.

Reactions: mlindsay
I dont understand the posters who throw out a name thats never coached a game. This is not the Lady Vols that Pat took over many many years ago. Just read this board. Vultures everywhere. A rookie wont cut it. I said this in another thread. Insane to even suggest it.

Some have said. Becky Hammond. Whats her record?( 0-0) Has she ever managed a team from the top. Whats her connections to the recruiting world?(this is huge) Does she know the NCAA rules? Well I would say that about does her in.

Kara Lawson. Whats her record?( 0-0) Has she ever managed a team from the top. Whats her connections to the recruiting world?(this is huge) Does she know the NCAA rules? Well I would say that about does her in.

Kyra Elzy. Whats her record? (0-0). Has she ever managed a team from the top? Now we veer some here. She does have recruiting connections as she was here with Holly, and now is back at UK after getting fired by Holly for yapping to much. Not a good recruiter either. Check and see how many kids she actually got us. I do think she knows the rules.

Semeka Randall. Via Wikipedia

Randall's first coaching job was an assistant coach for the women's basketball team at Cleveland State University, during the 2002-03 season. On September 17, 2004, Michigan State University (MSU) announced that Randall was hired as an assistant coach. During that season, the MSU team made it all the way to the NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship game, only to lose to Baylor University. On April 17, 2007, Randall was hired as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

She was named head coach of the Ohio Bobcats women's basketball team on May 9, 2008. Upon her hiring, she stated: "It is my dream job to coach in the state of Ohio. If you look at my previous coaching experiences, you'll see that I've always positioned myself around this state because it's a great place for women's basketball. Ohio is a great school. I like that it urges student-athletes to excel in the classroom and on the court. It's just a great place and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Ohio basketball family and the Athens community!" Jim Schaus, Athletic Director of Ohio University, described her hiring as "a winning half-court shot at the buzzer."

On March 10, 2013 Randall was released from the Ohio coaching staff where she held a 5-year record of 50-112. During her 5th year as head coach of the bobcats Semeka Held a record of 6-23 going 1-14 in the Mid American Conference(MAC). Director Schaus stated "I want the program to be aimed in a better direction, time for a fresh start". He has begun a Nationwide immediate search. Along with four others, Randall was released from the women's basketball program at Ohio University.

In May 2013, Randall was named as the new head coach of the Alabama A&M University women's basketball team.

Randall's first coaching job was an assistant coach for the women's basketball team at Cleveland State University, during the 2002-03 season. On September 17, 2004, Michigan State University (MSU) announced that Randall was hired as an assistant coach. During that season, the MSU team made it all the way to the NCAA Women's Division I Basketball Championship game, only to lose to Baylor University. On April 17, 2007, Randall was hired as an assistant coach at West Virginia University.

She was named head coach of the Ohio Bobcats women's basketball team on May 9, 2008. Upon her hiring, she stated: "It is my dream job to coach in the state of Ohio. If you look at my previous coaching experiences, you'll see that I've always positioned myself around this state because it's a great place for women's basketball. Ohio is a great school. I like that it urges student-athletes to excel in the classroom and on the court. It's just a great place and I'm looking forward to becoming part of the Ohio basketball family and the Athens community!" Jim Schaus, Athletic Director of Ohio University, described her hiring as "a winning half-court shot at the buzzer."

On March 10, 2013 Randall was released from the Ohio coaching staff where she held a 5-year record of 50-112. During her 5th year as head coach of the bobcats Semeka Held a record of 6-23 going 1-14 in the Mid American Conference(MAC). Director Schaus stated "I want the program to be aimed in a better direction, time for a fresh start". He has begun a Nationwide immediate search. Along with four others, Randall was released from the women's basketball program at Ohio University.

In May 2013, Randall was named as the new head coach of the Alabama A&M University women's basketball team.

Head coach Semeka Randall has decided not to return for employment at Alabama A&M University according to Director of Athletics Bryan Hicks.

“We would like to thank coach Randall for her service to the women’s basketball program and wish her much success in her future endeavors,” said Hicks.

A search for a new coach will begin immediately.

During her three seasons at AAMU, Randall managed a 17-73 overall record – her best win/loss record was 6-24 during the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons. She led the Lady Bulldogs past the first round of the SWAC Basketball Tournament her first (2013-14) and last (2015-16) seasons with AAMU.

A University of Tennessee alumna, Randall played under Pat Summitt and was a member of the 1998 NCAA Women’s Basketball Championship team that earned a 39-0 record. After graduating from the University in 2000, Randall was the 17th overall draft pick in the 2001 WNBA Draft, playing four seasons.

I dont think we need that........

Niya Butts. NO. NO. NO.

Head Coaching Record
Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Arizona (Pac-12 Conference) (2008–present)
2008–09 Arizona 12-19 4-14 T-8th
2009–10 Arizona 14-17 6-12 8th
2010–11 Arizona 21-12 10-8 T-4th WNIT First Round
2011–12 Arizona 15-17 3-15 12th
2012–13 Arizona 12-18 4-14 T-11th
2013–14 Arizona 5-25 1-17 12th
2014–15 Arizona 10-20 3-15 T-11th
2015–16 Arizona 13-19 3-15 11th
Arizona: 102–147 (.410) 34–110 (.236)
Total: 102–147 (.410)

She left Arizona in a shambles for those of you that are real basketball fans and follow the game close. Do we need this here? You tell me.

Nikki Fargas is some better who has had a few good years at UCLA but at best is mid pack SEC level at LSU. Her record does not bode well for her. Records dont lie.

Here are just a few thats been thrown out that posters here want to coach our beloved Lady Vols. I say those that suggest these names be banned from this board for eternity based on 0 basketball knowledge.

Now get on with some good choices.

BLAH BLAH BLAH
Old and Slow is fitting.
There are Middle School Coaches in Knox Co that could do a better job thand CHW.
In light of tradition, expectations and whatever else you want to hang on it...…….IMHO it has nothing to do all the names and numbers.
THE Lady VOL program needs passion, structure and discipline. That's it. You get that and you can adjust the X's and O's later.
Physical. Famous CPS trash can practices. My way or the high way and go home work outs! Leave in on the court games!
I would take my chances with Kara Lawson. Yes a record of 0-0. But I will bet you wouldn't leave the Tommy Bowl questioning the teams effort.
And currently, that would be blessing and a Start!!

Reactions: cutiepie5
All I remember about Gail Goestenkors is that line she dropped in an NCAA tournament semi-final or title halftime (I forget which) - something like "now let's go out there and have some fun!" As soon as I saw that ... yeah. That's a pass for me.
Yeah. Wouldn't want anyone who sounds like Dabo.

Reactions: GBOTango
Moore, Graves, Gail G, Walz, Hammon and Rueck would be my top choices. And yes I believe Walz would come here but he would require $$$$ that I don't think UT would pay him. Honestly I wonder if Mulkey would be in the same boat. I know they've been very successful. Mulkey would probably be less likely with her age. This talk about "Walz retiring at Louisville" is delusional. The man is 47. WTBS, if you don't want Freese here for her dirty recruiting, you don't want Walz, who is worse in that regard. I mean he did coach under Freese for years, afterall.

Niele Ivey is an intriguing name, and one I like because she's young, energetic and probably the best recruiting assistant in the country right now. It would be a gamble but it may be a gamble that would pay off because I think she'd have a great fresh staff. She had the Georgia job and changed her mind at the last minute. And I don't think she's being groomed for the ND job. For one, Muffet will be coaching for several more years, and it's Beth Cunningham's job to lose. For comparison's sake, compare them to TN when we won back to back NCs, and think of Beth being more of the Holly Warlick on the staff in terms of seniority but Ivey being more of the Nikki Caldwell in terms of energy and recruiting.

I actually believe Hammon would be a great fit, but it's a gamble because of her lack of HC experience. But she has a great knowledge of the game, and she has energy and I think players would want to play for her. Much like Ivey, If she had the right staff I think she'd be very successful here.

Call me crazy but I think Staley would come if given the right paycheck. Not my first choice, though. Honestly I've never been a big fan of Staley as a coach on the national level. That NC was a fluke and was a product of lucky recruiting (Aja Wilson and Alaina Coates being from SC) and getting two elite transfers. A lot of people believe Staley would come here if given the opportunity, and I'm of the mind we could get her fairly easily.

I think Gail would be a good coach here and we would compete for FFs with her offensive mind but it's clear she has no interest in coaching again. But if I'm UT I make her say no. I've thought for a long time that she would do well here.

Barnes-Arico is an intriguing name that was mentioned here.

Fargas would only as a last resort. Another coach who does better as an assistant than a HC. She's been pretty marginal at LSU and to be honest I'm a bit surprised she's even still there. But she would come in a nano-second, given she's a UT alum and from Oak Ridge. Then again a change in scenery could do her good. I'm not convinced we would be in FFs and competing for NCs, though. That's the real goal here, not just being better than Holly. I mean, if she hired an offensive minded coach like Melanie Balcomb, and ditched Butts and DeMoss, I could see it working out, but Nikki's offenses suck just like Holly's.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
BLAH BLAH BLAH
Old and Slow is fitting.
There are Middle School Coaches in Knox Co that could do a better job thand CHW.
In light of tradition, expectations and whatever else you want to hang on it...…….IMHO it has nothing to do all the names and numbers.
THE Lady VOL program needs passion, structure and discipline. That's it. You get that and you can adjust the X's and O's later.
Physical. Famous CPS trash can practices. My way or the high way and go home work outs! Leave in on the court games!
I would take my chances with Kara Lawson. Yes a record of 0-0. But I will bet you wouldn't leave the Tommy Bowl questioning the teams effort.
And currently, that would be blessing and a Start!!

You know I am OldNSlow, but I am not stupid. You have your opinion which shows you are nothing more than a zealous fan( nothing wrong with that) and I have mine( which shows I am not just a zealous fan).

There are alot of good coaches that have been named that would be great hires. All of them are proven coaches. The University of Tennessee Womens basketball program in its current state is not a program to raise a rookie coach. I dont understand whats so hard about this.

So what would you all think of Karl Smesko from Florida Gulf Coast University?

Florida Gulf Coast Eagles women's basketball - Wikipedia

Since becoming eligible for Division I play, he's had them in the NCAA Tournament five times starting in 2012, and he's managed to advance them to the Round of 32 twice, in 2015 after beating Oklahoma State, and last season after pulling an upset against Missouri. And he does it while coaching a team in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Not exactly a power conference by any stretch of the imagination.

First, there's no present vacancy and what little I've heard, the job might not come open, come hell or high water. Secondly, and this is my prayer, please God, don't let the fans make the position radioactive like they've done the last few football searches.

I will not underestimate a teams will to succeed. These are young people playing hard to make fans proud of them. Giving these horrible criticisms about them and their coach is just common. Just common.

Please retire holly..you have 34 years in the system. Be big about this and not disgrace our great program, lady Vols are the foundation of this sport for the nation. Go out with dignity

Reactions: Nute Gunray
So what would you all think of Karl Smesko from Florida Gulf Coast University?

Florida Gulf Coast Eagles women's basketball - Wikipedia

Since becoming eligible for Division I play, he's had them in the NCAA Tournament five times starting in 2012, and he's managed to advance them to the Round of 32 twice, in 2015 after beating Oklahoma State, and last season after pulling an upset against Missouri. And he does it while coaching a team in the Atlantic Sun Conference. Not exactly a power conference by any stretch of the imagination.
Hiring him for LV's HC would be comparable to Florida hiring Urban Meyer from Utah. Different sport but same principal.

Reactions: Ladyvol777
IMHO Cam Newbauer would be the perfect choice..Florida took a chance and hired him away from Belmont..In a couple of years he will have Florida at the top of the SEC and contending for championships.....JMHO

This thread has made me realize something I guess I knew already but it had not really sunk in. There are only about 3/4 posters that are more than fans on here. Some of the comments are amazing about several of the coaches mentioned. And some of the suggestions.

Lets get one thing clear. Rick Barnes had no ties to UT. He is now the man. Want to know why? He wins. What made Pat " The woman? " She won. As bad as this hurts me, she is no longer with us. Anyone who played for her, coached with her( we see how this has worked) or in her tree is not Pat. There was and will only be one Pat. As a fan base till be figure out this simple truth we are going to be delusional( Lots of that here).

Whats gonna cure it? Same as with Pat. Winning. Just hire the person, whomever it is, that is capable of bring us back to being relevant again. Its just that simple.

Nope, this is what all the blue hairs wanted. They can all sink with this ship. Lady Vols basketball is dead and gone

Don’t give up! What would Pat have wanted or done? I think Pat would have had a woman to woman sincere talk with Holly about this beloved game. Also, let her know that she gave her best shot and that wasn’t good for for the standard set for so many years. In love, ask her to consider all and resign to save whatever face she still has.
Holly’s excuses of blaming these young women are falling on deaf’s Ear. She did the same thing with the All-American DeShields. All this young lady needed was seasoned guidance. She is gone and she has the best recruits in college basketball; can anyone say this looks horribly familiar. No, because the last time the Lady Vols lost like this, Pat wasn’t even the coach yet.
If they don’t make it past the first round or better than that, win at least 7more games, someone please start a formal petition.
I love these young ladies so much and losing another one to transfer (being rumored) is not the sacrifice we need.

Is it just me or does Jeff Walz give off bad vibes?

He is always running his mouth and then shoving his foot in it later. I wouldn't want him coaching at UT, that is for sure. I highly doubt he would leave Louisville and Kentucky. He talks frequently about how much he loves being able to coach in his home state and be close to his family etc.

His teams also have a distinct identity. He has one star player and he makes sure everyone knows they're the star. That, in my opinion, is why he has not won a national championship and likely never will, his teams don't play team basketball. They play get the ball to Asia Durr, or Angel McCaughtry, Shoni Shimmel and so on.

Reactions: LVsinceJV
I really don't care who Philip hires as long as it is someone who knows the game and can coach the game. With that said, High Dollar Coaches will come to this program. Problem is will Philip put High Dollar Money in the program...Me thinks, not. Now we go back to my first sentence. There are good coaches available who know the game and can coach. Are we willing to accept the alternative? I am.

VN Store

Back