New coach observation...

IndianaVol

Old Timer, Quality Poster
When Phil retires...it is inevitable...this is one thing I feel we need in whoever our new coach is...INTENSITY.

I noticed watching the great football this weekend a couple of things...

1. Univ of South Florida...Jim Leavitt...his team was handing it to the #5 team in the country when his RB missed a block. When the RB got to the sidelines...Leavitt was in his ARSE big time!!!...intensity...he also gave that RB a big pat on the back when he scored...intensity

2. Univ of Florida...Urban Meyer...his team was in the fight of their lives...every time the camera was on him...he was in somebody's face...intensity...he also congratulated his team on a great game...intensity

3. Indiana Univ...Bill Lynch...his team took it to Iowa in the Fourth quarter there was a dropped pass...he was all over the receiver all the way from the sideline to the bench...intensity...he also gave a big hug to the same receiver the next series for a nice catch...intensity

I'm not here to say that we need this guy, or that guy for the next coach at UT...I would like for us to debate the QUALITIES we would like to see in that coach...INTENSITY and DISCIPLINE would be my two greatest...

your thoughts ???

I fail to see how a pat on the back and a big hug signify intensity. Our coaches do the same thing so go ahead and praise them while you're at it.

I'll clarify my point...
The coach was in the guy's back-side big time on each occasion...but he was there to say good job when the guy did the right thing...
I feel that what our coaches lack is the initial in your face intesity and discipline.

I feel that what our coaches lack is the initial in your face intesity and discipline.

Then you should watch the UT coaches closer. They get in a player's face when it's necessary. There is more coaching going on than just when we watch on Saturdays.

I don't think intensity is an issue with our staff. I believe our problems boil down to 2 issues. First, this season we have a lot of high recruiting service talent that hasn't panned out. Much of this talent is on the DL. The best assistant coaches we have are Brooks and Caldwell (just check their history of producing great DLs and placing kids in the league. We have a handful of projected greats that don't "get it."

Second, we apparently don't get the fundamentals of defensive play down very well. Our schemes against spread type offenses is horrible and our tackling is worse. Intensity, however is not an issue.

I still have some hope. Auburn had looked to be a worse team than us until Saturday. Maybe, just maybe....

Wish people would drop the new coach crap...i definately want not just a new hc but a new entire staff...but deep down i know how MH is going to go with this one, chavis will leave, and big boy phil will be there for another year at least....theres a thousand different ways you can skin this cat but in the end MH doesnt have balls to fire fulmer!

I'm not here to say fire fulmer, chavis, cut, or anyone else...All I'm saying is that to me it looks like we lack the discipline (especially on Defense) and intensity to carry out the FUNDAMENTALS...

My question is this...not who, but what do want in a new coach, be it assistant or head ???

What about Lou Holtz?............Just kiddin......I would miss his pep talks on Saturdays.

What about Lou Holtz?............Just kiddin......I would miss his pep talks on Saturdays.

Again....funny...but not here to discuss persons...but qualities desired in coach(es)

But damn wouldn't Lou look funny in orange...:)

VN Store

Back