New Asst. Position Discussion

SoDak_LV_Fan

Ok, so the other post regarding Kyra leaving and the situation down at La Tech has gotten a little negative. I thought I'd start a new topic about possible people to fill the position.
Regardless how you feel about the state of the program, it is what it is. As fans we can choose to sit back and say negative things about Holly or players not living up to your expectations or we can look at this situation as an opportunity for the program to improve.
I choose to look at the situation as an opportunity to get better. We have some great players on our team and I think with off-season work will be greatly improved next season.
In looking at Kyra's position, she was a forwards coach, a player of the program, and 'younger'. I'm not Holly but I would assume she would try to find someone with those similarities.
I might be dreaming with some picks, but hey this is a message board, Tamika or Candace first came up on my radar. With Texas hiring Tina T. I think they have an advantage for recruiting posts because she is a legend at her respective playing position. If Tenn can go to a recruits house and tell a player they'll be working with WNBA legends like Tamika and Candace, not many schools will compete with that.
Some other picks include, Tasha Butts...not sure she would leave Nicki at LSU.
Kara would be good with her knowledge and passion, which is what this program could use.
Alex Fuller and Shallon Pillow are question marks for me with Shallon being let go from Kentucky and not sure how Alex has done at Ole Miss.
Any younger assistants in the country worth looking at outside the program?

Reactions: 1 person
We need someone who can help develop our guards and who can recruit. I prefer someone without Tennessee ties. Someone who will bring new energy and brings a different prospective. Someone that can help upgrade the offense. I'm surprised any names haven't came up.

The new assistant needs to be an offensive mastermind. No ifs, ands or butts about it. An offensive mastermind who can develop an actual system (UT has no offensive identity) and stand up to Holly. We need a leader. I have no clue who that person is. There's many great assistants at big schools, but I don't see any leaving any of those programs for UT.

Ok, so the other post regarding Kyra leaving and the situation down at La Tech has gotten a little negative. I thought I'd start a new topic about possible people to fill the position.
Regardless how you feel about the state of the program, it is what it is. As fans we can choose to sit back and say negative things about Holly or players not living up to your expectations or we can look at this situation as an opportunity for the program to improve.
I choose to look at the situation as an opportunity to get better. We have some great players on our team and I think with off-season work will be greatly improved next season.
In looking at Kyra's position, she was a forwards coach, a player of the program, and 'younger'. I'm not Holly but I would assume she would try to find someone with those similarities.
I might be dreaming with some picks, but hey this is a message board, Tamika or Candace first came up on my radar. With Texas hiring Tina T. I think they have an advantage for recruiting posts because she is a legend at her respective playing position. If Tenn can go to a recruits house and tell a player they'll be working with WNBA legends like Tamika and Candace, not many schools will compete with that.
Some other picks include, Tasha Butts...not sure she would leave Nicki at LSU.
Kara would be good with her knowledge and passion, which is what this program could use.
Alex Fuller and Shallon Pillow are question marks for me with Shallon being let go from Kentucky and not sure how Alex has done at Ole Miss.
Any younger assistants in the country worth looking at outside the program?

I think Fuller would do well if we got rid of Dean. She's a post coach and has done well at both MTSU(Ebony Rowe) and ole miss (faleru). It'd be interesting to see what she could do with Russell, Dunbar, Nared..

Wasn't Fuller coached by Dean?!

What about Ivory Latta for an assistant? Lots of complaints that our guards can't shoot and we don't have an offense. I feel like she's a pretty good guard and knows her stuff.

Mickie will probably be promoted at La Tech. Wonder if Elzy would consider going there?

My vote is to get someone who is an offensive genius no matter if they come from Slippery Rock U. My thoughts are that none of the Pat Summitt coaches that are out there are great offensive minds. Holly needs to hire a great offensive coach and then step aside and let them do the job.

What about Ivory Latta for an assistant? Lots of complaints that our guards can't shoot and we don't have an offense. I feel like she's a pretty good guard and knows her stuff.

Yes she is was but was also underutilized imo. However she has shown an ability in more recent years than Dean to help a post player grow each year. I will gladly eat my words if Russell becomes beastly somehow next year but for now I hold onto my opinion. He's overvalued because he worked with Pat. Clearly the same can be said for Warlick. For guard help we need to look for someone who was a solid guard while playing and has become a solid coach of guards. Sadly that profile fits our HC but she can't seem to coach anyone. Latta would be interesting but idk if she knows x's and o's. Maybe Shalee Lehning from Kansas she was a solid pg in college and the W until her injury and she was an assistant previously until she decided to pusure other opportunities outside of basketball however maybe this job offer would be enticing to her.

Last edited:

She wants to continue to play professional and can't play overseas when coaching college as the seasons tend to be during the same time

My vote is to get someone who is an offensive genius no matter if they come from Slippery Rock U. My thoughts are that none of the Pat Summitt coaches that are out there are great offensive minds. Holly needs to hire a great offensive coach and then step aside and let them do the job.

Ready for duty.

DeMoss is a vet. I'd think she'd want to be a head coach again. Who would turn down a head job to remain an assistant? You're going to work hard--you might as well get more money and try to build a winner.

I would hire Jasmine Lister if I was looking for a young offensive minded coach to help me with recruiting and guard play. She is currently the grad assistant (her second season) at UConn and has spent time learning from Geno and how he runs practices and how he works with players. The chances of her making a WNBA roster is very slim and she will be looking for a coaching job when her time is up in May at UConn. She played at Vandy and had a very good career (knows the SEC) she would be a great addition if we are looking for someone outside of the Lady Vols coaching tree

Reactions: 4 people
Not if Mickey knew about the relationship and to my knowledge Mickey no longer wants to be Head Coach

Can't believe Mickie knew or would have allowed it to continue.

That said, it might be time-- past time-- for the LVs to bring in someone with a fresh perspective and a sharp offensive mind. New blood, new ideas. Change would be good.

Mickie will probably be promoted at La Tech. Wonder if Elzy would consider going there?

LA Tech would be a good place for her. I'm not sure Mickie will be staying. I wonder if they will keep anyone on the current coaching staff, especially since it appears that something has probably been going on with Tyler and the student athlete for a while.

I would hire Jasmine Lister if I was looking for a young offensive minded coach to help me with recruiting and guard play. She is currently the grad assistant (her second season) at UConn and has spent time learning from Geno and how he runs practices and how he works with players. The chances of her making a WNBA roster is very slim and she will be looking for a coaching job when her time is up in May at UConn. She played at Vandy and had a very good career (knows the SEC) she would be a great addition if we are looking for someone outside of the Lady Vols coaching tree

This is the first really good suggestion on the thread. Enough with the former LVs, and LV coaching re-treads. That was the problem in the first place. Why get rid of one just to hire another?

If Holly initiated this move (versus pressure from higher ups) I give her credit for her boldness and recognition that the status quo wasn't working. I will give her even more credit if she looks beyond her own circle for some outside-the-box perspective and makes a good hire in someone that can help balance her own coaching deficiencies. Why not look at someone from the coaching branch of the most dominant program in the history of the game....?

Reactions: 2 people
I like the Lister suggestion as well. However, hiring someone like her really makes Law superfluous. She needs to go too, she hasn't been able to bring our guards along and has done nothing with recruiting.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back