New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

Gaines could contribute this year imo. Yeah he’s skinny, but that doesn’t always mean someone needs to redshirt. Not like he’ll be in the post bangin down low.

Reactions: k-town_king
I'm sure that isn't all of it but imo it doesn't hurt his defense which is why he hasn't played more

Well we probably can’t judge a freshman just because of his weight isn’t what we think would be preferable.

He could certainly use some, but with a good work ethic that would be very easily fixed.

Well we probably can’t judge a freshman just because of his weight isn’t what we think would be preferable.

He could certainly use some, but with a good work ethic that would be very easily fixed.

Yea I don't know. Some body types are just harder than others to add weight

Fulkerson showed promise as a freshman, and he was skinny. He will certainly need to bulk up. But you can overcome some deficiencies if you take coaching and play your role.

Yea I don't know. Some body types are just harder than others to add weight

Very true.......like Johnson’s, but anyone can add muscle which adds weight. Gaines may never be 6-7, 230......however he could get to 6-7, 205 (205 of lean muscle) within a season. Sure he may never be a bruiser but he could be a good athletic 3.

Very true.......like Johnson’s, but anyone can add muscle which adds weight. Gaines may never be 6-7, 230......however he could get to 6-7, 205 (205 of lean muscle) within a season. Sure he may never be a bruiser but he could be a good athletic 3.

I'd guess 180-190 is the goal for him

Reactions: Vols All Day
Are you down on every recruit coming in or are you just having a pissing moan kind of day? Hope it gets better if it's just a bad day.
He hasn’t been a factor. That’s a fact.
I don’t understand the handful of posters who think it’s their duty to police the comments. If you have something positive to say about a player, say it.

I guess those currently in question would be Johnson, Walker, Kent, and Burns... Johnson and Walker have shown flashes, play within themselves and have the rest of this season to determine if they can be solid contributors or better. Kent's injuries have made it impossible to evaluate or project his stretch 4 or 5 effectiveness. Burns is just biddin his time here instead of HS this year...

Walker has shown a determination to change his body style and increase his quickness so there is hope he can be what coach thought he could be...

I was encouraged by the extended minutes some of them got at Missouri and how it impacted their plus/minus numbers when Williams, Admiral, and even Alexander were sitting next to coach... but no way to really establish their ceilings...

We can better review his hit rate at the end of this season... but for sure they have all shown themselves to be team players and that is important with Barnes structure...

GO VOLS

Going once, going twice, sold!

Gaines could contribute this year imo. Yeah he’s skinny, but that doesn’t always mean someone needs to redshirt. Not like he’ll be in the post bangin down low.
The consensus is that Gaines will redshirt but I tend to agree with you. I think he plays next year and likely may see more time as backup 2G than anywhere else. He has perimeter skills, and his length could bother smaller guards. Turner will have to spend some time at PG with James. And in my opinion, we will probably start and play 3 guards (Bowden, Turner and James) a lot. Someone has to back them up. Johnson is a question defensively and is almost primarily a perimeter shooter. Pons is a question offensively and has shown scant perimeter skills. Gaines has opportunity to play especially if he can put the ball on the floor and guard.

He hasn’t been a factor. That’s a fact.
I don’t understand the handful of posters who think it’s their duty to police the comments. If you have something positive to say about a player, say it.
I don't think that most people realize that the lack of the development by players on our bench has been due to injury. Fulk of course everyone knows. Kent hasn't played because of it. Johnson suffered a stress fracture in his R-Fr season and had to have surgery. Lack of bench development was probably the biggest factor that contributed to our struggles late in the season.

Reactions: VOLED

VN Store

Back