New 2019 Commit - Davonte Gaines

So you'd pass on Johnson to sign a lesser rated recruit with the idea that player is going to somehow unseat Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield or Pons? Johnson is just fine. He plays well when he gets an opportunity; 7-13 from 3, 2 TOs in 10 games. He's just biding his time behind better players. You'd really have to catch lightning in a bottle to replace him with a lower rated recruit with the idea that player was going to unseat one of the 5 players currently ahead of JJ.

I think where you and everyone else seem to disagree, is that you believe that to be a reflection of JJ's talent (or lack of), while everyone else seemingly agrees that instead, it is a credit to the skill and ability of the 5 guys ahead of him.
Of course you would almost always take the higher recruited guy but you have to admit that there is an opportunity cost if that player doesn't pan out. So far he hasn't but it's still possible he does. I don't know what % of players that can't crack the rotation in 3 years end up being major contributers but I would imagine its very low.

How in the world have you determined this? He plays really well each time he gets minutes. He just happens to be behind Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield, and Pons at the 3 guard spots. His time will come and he has shown flashes of being a really good shooter.
His stroke is absolutely classic from a lefty. My understanding is that defense is still a bit lacking. When Barnes was talking about that freshman class a few years ago, he said that Johnson was the best athlete.

Reactions: Vols All Day
He is a miss at "this point". It's a fact.
Try telling JJ that. His ceiling is unlimited. Injuries and being at the right place at the right time have been detrimental to him so far. But, a miss? Let's evaluate by season's end next year and see where we are. I could be wrong, as I often am.
So you'd pass on Johnson to sign a lesser rated recruit with the idea that player is going to somehow unseat Bone, Turner, Bowden, Schofield or Pons? Johnson is just fine. He plays well when he gets an opportunity; 7-13 from 3, 2 TOs in 10 games. He's just biding his time behind better players. You'd really have to catch lightning in a bottle to replace him with a lower rated recruit with the idea that player was going to unseat one of the 5 players currently ahead of JJ.

I think where you and everyone else seem to disagree, is that you believe that to be a reflection of JJ's talent (or lack of), while everyone else seemingly agrees that instead, it is a credit to the skill and ability of the 5 guys ahead of him.
remember that Michael Jordan was cut from his junior high team initially. He persevered, and in time, became one of the greatest players of all time.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
His stroke is absolutely classic from a lefty. My understanding is that defense is still a bit lacking. When Barnes was talking about that freshman class a few years ago, he said that Johnson was the best athlete.
You will never hear me say he can't shoot. But that's an indication of how lagging the rest of his game is. The fact that he can stroke it but can't consistantly get on the floor is all you need to know.

Of course you would almost always take the higher recruited guy but you have to admit that there is an opportunity cost if that player doesn't pan out. So far he hasn't but it's still possible he does. I don't know what % of players that can't crack the rotation in 3 years end up being major contributers but I would imagine its very low.
You keep saying 3 years, when in reality, it's 1.5 years. He's in the rotation. He just happens to be at the back end of it at the deepest position on the team in the middle of his sophomore season.

And to be fair, very few people are taking the polar opposite view you are. I haven't seen many (if any) claim he is destined for stardom. Most believe he can develop into a reliable role player (think Jordan Bowden) at some point. But on the other end of the spectrum, calling him a "bust" just seems manic and reactionary to this point.

The people who were calling Jordan McRae a bust midway thru his SO season look silly, now.

Reactions: OrangenSC
You keep saying 3 years, when in reality, it's 1.5 years. He's in the rotation. He just happens to be at the back end of it at the deepest position on the team in the middle of his sophomore season.

And to be fair, very few people are taking the polar opposite view you are. I haven't seen many (if any) claim he is destined for stardom. Most believe he can develop into a reliable role player (think Jordan Bowden) at some point. But on the other end of the spectrum, calling him a "bust" just seems manic and reactionary to this point.

The people who were calling Jordan McRae a bust midway thru his SO season look silly, now.
I certainly hope that his career path is similar to Mcrae. I remember him developing slowly and defense being an issue early on.

Reactions: 67Vol and twoffo
Defense is Johnson’s downfall. If he’d defend, he’d get Pons minutes.

I said earlier this yr opponents would slack off Pons and we’re seeing it now. Barnes has to play him in spurts now as his guy doubles on Williams too much.

Defense is Johnson’s downfall. If he’d defend, he’d get Pons minutes.

I said earlier this yr opponents would slack off Pons and we’re seeing it now. Barnes has to play him in spurts now as his guy doubles on Williams too much.
100%. Would be great if he were better defensively and could play those minutes. Adding his 3pt shot would probably give us the best offense in the country... anyway I hope he continues to work hard. We’ll certainly need him more next year and his senior year he could be the guy.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I can’t wait to see him play cuz if u can score a quadruple double then hell we neee that rn lol

If you're not first you're last.
9fcb5e48fa46966ccb183159605b57aea923a633ed578308818e80169cfdbe24.jpg

VN Store

Back