Netflix

The doc about Luis Figo is good. I didn't follow international soccer at all until about 15 years ago, and so these exorbitant transfer fees were always part of the landscape. I had no idea it's all recent history, nor did I know how controversial the first instance was.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
The Untold doc about Manti Te'o is really good. I love that guy now. He is so pure. He didn't deserve any of this.

I had always just assumed he was in on it. I heard the headlines and saw the memes when it first broke, but lost interest and never heard about the catfishing part. I feel bad for him. Seems like a genuinely good dude who had his innocence used against him. I thought the filmmakers were trying a bit too hard to portray the trans cat fisher in a favorable light. What she did was supremely sh*tty. She seems remorseful, so I don't think she should get dragged too bad, but I think they could have gone in a bit more sharply on her.

Reactions: walkenvol
I had always just assumed he was in on it. I heard the headlines and saw the memes when it first broke, but lost interest and never heard about the catfishing part. I feel bad for him. Seems like a genuinely good dude who had his innocence used against him. I thought the filmmakers were trying a bit too hard to portray the trans cat fisher in a favorable light. What she did was supremely sh*tty. She seems remorseful, so I don't think she should get dragged too bad, but I think they could have gone in a bit more sharply on her.

I didn't have strong opinions about anything, but I was always pretty skeptical that he was in on it. He's gullible dumb but he doesn't seem to be the kind of dumb that would think a hoax of this type would be a good plan.

I do have strong opinions now, but I also admit I don't know for sure.

Reactions: SamRebel35
307321178_3322640341340587_6970992983897062904_n.jpg

i thought it fell right off a cliff after season 2. never went back.

Honestly, I don't think it was ever good. I think it was nostalgic for us and fun to see the characters again, but then that all wore off. They could have made it so good, but Daniel and his entire family totally suck and the story is out of control. It's almost like an SNL parody as if sketch comedy writers were like "wouldn't it be absurdly hilarious if valley karate turned into an all-out gang war?"

Sat down this afternoon to watch Lost Ollie with my niece and nephew. It looked like a fun family style series. It started out interesting and then got real sad and real dark.

If you're looking for something interesting and uplifting this is definitely NOT it.

The doc about Luis Figo is good. I didn't follow international soccer at all until about 15 years ago, and so these exorbitant transfer fees were always part of the landscape. I had no idea it's all recent history, nor did I know how controversial the first instance was.
I am tempted to go watch Nashville FC vs Club America tonight based mostly on the CA doc. Tickets are plentiful and cheap but it's a school night and would definitely keep me up way past normal bedtime.

The Untold documentary Operation Flagrant Foul was a good watch. Tim Donaghy story.

@n_huffhines
@Notorious B.E.N

Bill Simmons has a criminal justice professor on his pod today and they are eviscerating the documentary. They are saying nothing about this documentary is "untold." We already had all this information. The only reason the mob is part of the conversation is that Donaghy wants it to be part of the conversation, and he's completely FOS about their involvement. Apparently, the FBI and US attorney reports never even once mention organized crime. No one was charged with extortion. It was never treated as a racketeering conspiracy.

The story that TD gave that he received threats at that meeting with Bautista and feared for his family's life is completely bogus. The reason that meeting happened is because TD was mad that one of the gamblers involved in the scheme (an insurance salesman) wasn't paying him.

Bill Simmons has a criminal justice professor on his pod today and they are eviscerating the documentary. They are saying nothing about this documentary is "untold." We already had all this information. The only reason the mob is part of the conversation is that Donaghy wants it to be part of the conversation, and he's completely FOS about their involvement. Apparently, the FBI and US attorney reports never even once mention organized crime. No one was charged with extortion. It was never treated as a racketeering conspiracy.

The story that TD gave that he received threats at that meeting with Bautista and feared for his family's life is completely bogus. The reason that meeting happened is because TD was mad that one of the gamblers involved in the scheme (an insurance salesman) wasn't paying him.

The NBA dictating the process and outcome was told? That was suspected but seemed to be the biggest statement by the doc.

Another detail from the pod...

Donaghy claimed he was smart/informed enough to make plays on games he was not refereeing and that he never manipulated his own games...the lines in his games were changing so dramatically* that bettors around the world were realizing something was up and were making $ off his games without knowing any of the details about the scheme. The lines on these other games he was supposedly making plays on were not moving in suspicious ways. Everybody who cooperated with the FBI confirmed that it was only Donaghy games.

Another clear lie by Donaghy is he said he was relieved when Bautista went to rehab because he could get out, but he kept on making plays with Pete Regiere (sp?) after that. Regiere (who cooperated with the FBI, too, so this is public record) wanted to shut the scheme down because the lines were moving so much (because of the copycat bettors) that he couldn't get his edge, and Donaghy was pushing them for 1 more game.

The filmmakers didn't touch on any of this stuff.

*They would move the lines by betting $300k in Asia in the middle of the night and then the line would move a bunch and they'd bet $2m in the US the other way.

VN Store

Back