Net Neutrality and Sling TV

It's not over yet. Congress still has to vote on it. Call your congress critters and tell them to support Net Neutrality!

Reactions: 12 people
Anybody want to take a guess on if the ISPs will slow steaming speeds down so folks will go back to cable or satellite?

I don't. But there is one thing I do know. You can count on human greed. They will find a way and a time to financially exploit the situation for perpetual profit. They could do it now but they will first watch to see what rebels will do. Rebels are those smart and pissed off programmers who devise ways to circumvent cyber things. Kodi started this way for example. So did DIY satellite people who forced satellite TV providers to invent cable boxes.The DIY guys build their own so the cable companies had to invent bullets that killed unauthorized boxes. Then there's folks like me who got fed up with ever increasing cable TV fees. Isaid, "Screw you!" Then installed an OTA that draws in 24 channels depending on which direction my rotor turns the antenna. Now have Internet only service, ROKU and Chromecast to pretty much watch whatever I want. Point, counterpoint type of thing. So when greed starts reaching a level to piss these smart people enough, they will work on underground bypasses. If these recently freed to exploit companies are smart they'll reign in their greed. But greedy companies don't have that self-control. They will seek to exploit this sudden freedom to screw customers soon enough. Just like our grubby handed GOP Congress Reps and Senate.

Reactions: 7 people
85% of Americans support it so 100% chance Congress will repeal it.

The uninformed mob acting out of fear is a powerful thing.

We're going back to 2015 rules you ****ing wimps.

Internet service got substantially better consistently for 20+ years. Is that not good enough? Did we really need more regulation? It's so irrational.

Reactions: 11 people
85% of Americans support it so 100% chance Congress will repeal it.

I wouldn't count on it. Comcast and the other telecoms pay a lot of them very well through campaign contributions. We as their constituents need to remind them who they work for.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Net neutrality going away basically opens the door for cable, internet, and phone companies to start charging premiums for more bandwidth. Most of these already do but it could get more steep.

Reactions: 2 people
The bedwetting & hysteria over Net Nuetrality is beyond obnoxious at this point. The amount of this generations group think & inability to independently research & understand a topic other than what they read on Reddit is stunning.

The internet will be fine. Nothing the govt controls becomes easier, cheaper or more fair. And if you believe otherwise, I'm guessing you also believe Bernie has some great ideas too.

Reactions: 9 people

Internet service got substantially better consistently for 20+ years. Is that not good enough? Did we really need more regulation? It's so irrational.

This! The Obama administration rules were just the first step in trying to control content not improving service.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't. But there is one thing I do know. You can count on human greed. They will find a way and a time to financially exploit the situation for perpetual profit. They could do it now but they will first watch to see what rebels will do. Rebels are those smart and pissed off programmers who devise ways to circumvent cyber things. Kodi started this way for example. So did DIY satellite people who forced satellite TV providers to invent cable boxes.The DIY guys build their own so the cable companies had to invent bullets that killed unauthorized boxes. Then there's folks like me who got fed up with ever increasing cable TV fees. Isaid, "Screw you!" Then installed an OTA that draws in 24 channels depending on which direction my rotor turns the antenna. Now have Internet only service, ROKU and Chromecast to pretty much watch whatever I want. Point, counterpoint type of thing. So when greed starts reaching a level to piss these smart people enough, they will work on underground bypasses. If these recently freed to exploit companies are smart they'll reign in their greed. But greedy companies don't have that self-control. They will seek to exploit this sudden freedom to screw customers soon enough. Just like our grubby handed GOP Congress Reps and Senate.

Best damn post I’ve read in a while on here. Can you give directions on how to get what you have?

Reactions: 2 people
Sling TV owned by Dish Network. Owner is on Board of trustees for UT. Sling is making lots of money for him. Maybe he has an interest in keeping the net flowing.

I completely understand the wanting less regulation, heck I'm a libertarian, I'm all for freedom of the people. However this is not a black and white issue here, it is very grey. The history of the Internet is not a's simple as you say, have our connection speeds gotten better yes....However before 2015 net neutrality we started getting problems with ISPs restricting us by throttle necking us for multiple reasons at their free will. So is less government restriction a good thing yes, but remember government was intended to only protect the people from their freedoms being infringed on...complete opposite these days of course. I currently dont know which side to stand on with this because as said before you can always count on human greed especially in government and their connection with mult-billion dollar companies because that's what government protects the rights of in the era were in.

Reactions: 7 people

Excellent post!

I wouldn't county on it. Comcast and the other telecoms pay a lot of them very well through campaign contributions. We as their constituents need to remind them who they work for.

Nothing changes without campaign finance reform ... nothing, and congress isn't going to change something that works for them. Elections are simply a popularity contest based on political affiliation (R/D, conservative/liberal) and advertising; real issues need not apply or intrude. The most money buys the best advertising that promotes one "winner" for each camp.

There may be a lot of pent up desire in the electorate for outsiders, but corporate and special interest money will keep the selection process on "track", so they never really have to worry too much about what regular constituents have to say.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think it's as doom and gloom as people have tried to make it sound, heck it may even get reversed. But I do believe there is a genuine fear among all ISP's to be the first to really go all in on throttling certain sites because they know they will be publicaly crucified for doing so. I believe this ruling will end up being reversed, but if it isn't, I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding Sling

Company like AT&T with a huge backbone and alot of bandwidth it will not hurt it's going to be comcast or charter that will

Nothing changes without campaign finance reform ... nothing, and congress isn't going to change something that works for them. Elections are simply a popularity contest based on political affiliation (R/D, conservative/liberal) and advertising; real issues need not apply or intrude. The most money buys the best advertising that promotes one "winner" for each camp.

There may be a lot of pent up desire in the electorate for outsiders, but corporate and special interest money will keep the selection process on "track", so they never really have to worry too much about what regular constituents have to say.

Sadly, you're right. They do tend to listen when their is a major uproar over something though. That's how we beat back the repeal of Net Neutrality the last time they tried it. I completely agree that campaign finance reform needs to happen. The power that corporations and special interests wield in this country is absurd.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back