Nell Fortner, "There are 5 Teams that can beat South Carolina"

Geez, people. It was just in passing conversation. Nell's point was that SC isn't an unbeatable team and that there are several teams out there that could beat them. It wasn't a set, definitive list that only these teams had a chance. If you are going to get worked up over something, at least make it a legitimate concern. The Lady Vols were discussed later in glowing terms. Unbelievable.

Actually it wasn't a "passing conversation"
Five teams that could upset the Gamecocks

It was a "real news" story, according to sec network. I agree that it just a news story to get people talking, which it succeeded. But nobody is getting worked up about it, it's relevant news story to sec women's basketball and somebody is just sharing the news. Lighten up

Actually it wasn't a "passing conversation"
Five teams that could upset the Gamecocks

It was a "real news" story, according to sec network. I agree that it just a news story to get people talking, which it succeeded. But nobody is getting worked up about it, it's relevant news story to sec women's basketball and somebody is just sharing the news. Lighten up
You're telling the wrong person to lighten up Francis. They weren't just sharing news, they were getting all upset about it. I was the one saying it's not a big deal. It's just conversation to try and build excitement for the women's game. Man, people take everything like it's written in stone or something. If people believe Nell doesn't think highly of the Lady Vols, then they are just wrong and clueless.

Did anyone actually watch the story???

She said most likely to beat South Carolina IN THEIR NEXT 12 GAMES!!! USC doesn't play Tennessee in that span.

Get a grip people, not everything is a conspiracy against Tennessee...

Reactions: 2 people
Alabama had to be a mis-speak on her part. They lost to Jacksonville State and Mercer at home, and to Quinnipiac at a neutral site. They also lost to Duke at home by 50, a team USCjr beat in Durham.

Reactions: 1 person

She said most likely to beat South Carolina IN THEIR NEXT 12 GAMES!!! USC doesn't play Tennessee in that span.

She should've just left Bama off the list then. The other 4 teams have a shot if they execute and USCjr has an off game.

There's a better chance of UT beating the UK men than Bama beating the USCjr women.

My intent was only as a talking point and not to indicate a conspiracy by the sports media. Nell's comments, I feel, is based upon her anlyzation of Women's basketball. I take it for what it is worth, it is Nell's opinion which are like rear ends, everyone has at least one. I still wonder if some media gurus think we are headed in the wrong direction. However, in the end the results will speak for itself. If at the end of the NCAAs the girls and Holly are in the final four or raising the big trophy no one will care what Nell thinks.

My intent was only as a talking point and not to indicate a conspiracy by the sports media. Nell's comments, I feel, is based upon her anlyzation of Women's basketball. I take it for what it is worth, it is Nell's opinion which are like rear ends, everyone has at least one. I still wonder if some media gurus think we are headed in the wrong direction. However, in the end the results will speak for itself. If at the end of the NCAAs the girls and Holly are in the final four or raising the big trophy no one will care what Nell thinks.

That's great, but it isn't at all what Nell said. You took the entire discussion out of context to try to make it some backhanded shot at Tennessee. Why don't you wait until she ACTUALLY says something negative about the Lady Vols before you agree/disagree and try to rally the forum.....?

She still looks like an idiot for even mentioning Bama, who may be the worst team in the SEC.

Did any of you guys pay attention? Nell was referring to the next 12 games on SC schedule. Just like the segment before where they referred to the next 12 games on Kentucky's men schedule who had a good chance of knocking them off.

Nell did exactly what she wanted - you guys are talking about her. As mentioned, she was only discussing the next 12 games. Alabama is laughable, though. The Gamecocks beat Duke at Cameron and Duke won at Bama by 50.

Regardless of the Alabama remark, Nell Fortner is one of the best analysts in women's basketball. Starting this thread to criticize either her, Tenn, or SC, was just dumb.

Was it 5 teams that can beat the South Carolina or 5 teams that can upset South Carolina? Maybe if the Lady Vols beat them it wouldn't be an upset.

As I said in an earlier thread...we are playing without Jatarie White a 6'4" freshman who was the No.7 rated player coming out of high school. She will add depth to our team and should put us on par, if not above UCONN in talent. These freshman are just starting to mold with the veterans so we should be good to go.....We may not go undefeated but we will not go down easy. Aja is all she was suppose to be and White will be as good as her....IMO.

That's great, but it isn't at all what Nell said. You took the entire discussion out of context to try to make it some backhanded shot at Tennessee. Why don't you wait until she ACTUALLY says something negative about the Lady Vols before you agree/disagree and try to rally the forum.....?

Thanks for reading my mind but you are wrong. I was not trying to make it sound like a back hand shot at all. I was trying to say that she and everyone need to know that we have the potential to beat anyone. Do me a favor until I come out and say something please do not try to be a forum psychologist. If you differ with my opinion that is your right. If you don't understand what I am trying to say I will tell you. I promise I will never try to read your mind. Like you I can differ with anyone's opinion that I chose. I certainly do not care who you agree with or disagree with. Also you could use some of your own advise. This was not an indictment of Nell I think she is a great analyst, maybe better than most guys. I certainly am not anti South Carolina, because I have followed their coach since Temple. If any thing I went off half cocked which, different than most on this forum, I am not afraid to admit to. But this was not anti anybody or anything.

Last edited:
Thanks for reading my mind but you are wrong. I was not trying to make it sound like a back hand shot at all. I was trying to say that she and everyone need to know that we have the potential to beat anyone. Do me a favor until I come out and say something please do not try to be a forum psychologist. If you differ with my opinion that is your right. If you don't understand what I am trying to say I will tell you. I promise I will never try to read your mind. Like you I can differ with anyone's opinion that I chose. I certainly do not care who you agree with or disagree with. Also you could use some of your own advise. This was not an indictment of Nell I think she is a great analyst, maybe better than most guys. I certainly am not anti South Carolina, because I have followed their coach since Temple. If any thing I went off half cocked which, different than most on this forum, I am not afraid to admit to. But this was not anti anybody or anything.

I didn't agree/disagree with any of your opinions, nor did I ever presume to read your mind. I simply pointed out where you clearly took Nell's comments completely out of context:

I had a chance to hear Nell Fortner's forecast of who has a very good chance of beating South Carolina and guess what, not a single team located in the State of Tennessee.

She did not even mention Tennessee and Coach Holly as having a snowball's chance in hades.

The ladies and coaches are disrespected on the big stage. We need to show them that there is a 6th team that can and will beat South Carolina.

All I am saying is If you believe I was trying to create any indication of a backhand shot at Tennessee you are totally incorrect. I was not trying to rally the troops. If I did that was purely by accident and in the mind of the reader. If you say I am wrong that I can accept but not telling or guessing my intent. I never accused Nell of saying anything negative about the Lady Vols. I may have been half cocked, which is not unusual on this site, in believing we should be included as teams that can beat USC. Wrong or right, that was my main and only point.

All I am saying is If you believe I was trying to create any indication of a backhand shot at Tennessee you are totally incorrect.

Just maybe this will tick the players off and they can play like underdogs with the will to win and Holly will coach ever game as if her coaching life depended upon her winning. The ladies and coaches are disrespected on the big stage. .

You are quickly challenging Amb as worst backpedaler on the forum....

I personally could care less what you think. Your opinion of me could matter less. So if you are looking for small victories I am sure that your opinion and $4.50 will buy you a perfect cup of coffee at Starbucks. So back paddle your Mind reading butt into a Starbucks and buy a cup of coffee. You might want to become a mind reader since you are a know it all. You can take all the quotes you want and screw them around anyway you want, it is your opinion. Do you have any more quotes you want to put together.Darth let it go give it a break, or you can call me at 1-800 555-WGAS.

Last edited:

Not our fault that you can't quote someone without inserting your own commentary and passing it off as fact. Don't blame us for for your lack of reading comprehension.

I personally could care less what you think. Your opinion of me could matter less. .

Careful there, you're getting half-cocked again. Still better than a toxic attitude....

You can take all the quotes you want and screw them around anyway you want, it is your opinion. Do you have any more quotes you want to put together.

Yes, this entire thread started as a perceived slight at the Lady Vols. But please tell me again how you were misquoted.... :eek:hmy:

Careful there, you're getting half-cocked again. Still better than a toxic attitude....

Yes, this entire thread started as a perceived slight at the Lady Vols. But please tell me again how you were misquoted.... :eek:hmy:

Darth no one said I was mis quoted. Did I ever say you said that? I am full cocked when it comes to aholes. It is all in your mind you accept it any way you want after all you are the mind reader. If you want me to say you are right so you will feel good, then you are right as far as your mind sees things. However, WGAS. You seem to be the one who want to go back and forth until your small mind is satisfied. At least I can admit that I have moments of being half cocked, can you?:eek:lol:

I've been reading this board for a while and just decided to join recently and its clear DarthVol is a wolf in sheep's clothing! Just a troll!!

Darth no one said I was mis quoted. Did I ever say you said that? I am full cocked when it comes to aholes. It is all in your mind you accept it any way you want after all you are the mind reader. If you want me to say you are right so you will feel good, then you are right as far as your mind sees things. However, WGAS. You seem to be the one who want to go back and forth until your small mind is satisfied. At least I can admit that I have moments of being half cocked, can you?:eek:lol:

Every discussion with you feels like a "who's on first" routine...

Every discussion with you feels like a "who's on first" routine...

Every discussion with you sounds like you are a bigger ass than I assumed you are. Oh I am so sorry I called you an ass because you it is a good chance you don't know your ahole from that brain you use to think with. How in the hell would you know whose on first, did someone tell you? Can you count that high? By the way baseball has 4 bases, that should help you with your math. Oh I forgot that takes a brain and you have not been issued one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back