Negativity?

orangebycolor

I can’t help to think about all the negativity with the mishandling of the football program will trickle down to the average Joe wondering if this is even a university to consider to get an education!!

I can’t help to think about all the negativity with the mishandling of the football program will trickle down to the average Joe wondering if this is even a university to consider to get an education!!

Valid concern, but I think if you look at Twitter and Volnation, you’re looking at a magnified, microcosm of very passion and loud voices.

Just look at what’s happening in the world around us. Unfortunately, It’s pretty much gloom and doom everywhere and social media has done nothing but stir the pot. Personally, I know I’ve been pretty vocal about how disgruntled I am with the way the program has been. Maybe, it’s time to take a step back and stop venting about things I have no control over.

Average Joes are not worried about the football team.

Look at the caliber of student Alabama has attracted since they hired Nick Saban....

15 years ago, UTK had a far better academic reputation than UAT. Today, the difference is nominal and in the majors that I hire, behind.

Part of the reason there’s no urgency to make a move or hire a big time coach

One of my best friends had a daughter just graduate from Clemson. He told me a story of when they were on the campus tour when she was in HS. The guide said that enrollment applications increase tremendously the week after Clemson played on Primetime and went up even more if they won. I would've thought it wouldn't have been that big of a deal.

It's like they say in NASCAR, win on Sunday...sell on Monday.

You need to support Pruitt.

Alabama has proven that if you win football games the whole university reaps the rewards. Too bad our administration doesn’t realize a great coach is an investment that can have a high ROI for everyone.

Reactions: MocVol
All due respect, but this is nonsense. Not many people in state are going to pay out of state tuition to go to another SEC school because UT's football program stinks. I do think if you have a bama or clemson, there's a few schools who get more attn from out of state applicants b/c of their exposure. That being said, from an out of state standpoint, it's got more to do with campus improvements and targeted marketing towards out of staters. For example, when my kids were going thru college applications a few years ago...in NJ, they were flooded w/ fliers (and at high school college fairs) by South Carolina #1 by a wide margin, and probably JMU, Bama, UF, Clemson, Auburn, equally after that. Model pretty simple...get out of state kids w/ high scores on campus, paying higher out of state tuition (still cheaper or at least equal than most in state northeast schools).

Valid concern, but I think if you look at Twitter and Volnation, you’re looking at a magnified, microcosm of very passion and loud voices.

The problem is that social media can almost now be put in the mainstream category and is the echo chamber for news. The lies, thousands of unprofessional opinions, hacks and other become real to people if it's said enough times to those who don't have enough emotional intelligence and even if you do it is hard to see past what's factual or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skippy95
Do you normally draw conclusions from one example? Or is this a pattern you’re seeing?

It's a pattern I'm seeing with the majors I am hiring (Accounting and Finance) as well as what I am seeing in this market and neighboring markets at the bigger firms. I haven't hired a UTK grad in over a decade. Students that I am interviewing from Ole Miss, MSU, Arkansas, and Alabama with comparable resumes are just stronger at this point in time.

Do you normally draw conclusions from one example? Or is this a pattern you’re seeing?

A little more detail. The "cream of the crop" at all these schools is still really good and fairly similar so it's not a curriculum problem. Problem is, I'm not hiring those kids since they are going to investment banks (finance majors) and Big 4 accounting firms (accounting majors). I'm typically hiring that next level down. These are kids with good resumes and that's where I am seeing the difference in student.

Last edited:
I think you have a valid point OP. Look at Bama, their school attendance has been growing over the past 10 years at a rate higher than other SEC schools. Below is a link to an old article discussing enrollment at SEC schools

Listing the SEC schools by enrollment size

Athletics can boost a university’s status but typically will not diminish it. Athletics attract more students and with that schools can be more selective so they get a higher quality student.

VN Store

Back