Need a new tailgate home

Gator H8R

Give Him Six!!!
We tailgated in the cash lot next to the children's hospital behind Stefanos off Cumberland for several seasons. As we all know, that lot is dead and gone. We are looking for suggestions on a new location. Needs to be a cash lot as we usually have 4 to 6 vehicles and buy extra spots for corn hole boards and we usually just plan by the week. Buying passes in a lot for that many vehicles gets expensive. We are early birds and usually arrive by 6am most game days.

Would love to hear some experiences on some good cash lots near lots of foot traffic and GameDay action.

Reactions: SalVolinus
We tailgated in the cash lot next to the children's hospital behind Stefanos off Cumberland for several seasons. As we all know, that lot is dead and gone. We are looking for suggestions on a new location. Needs to be a cash lot as we usually have 4 to 6 vehicles and buy extra spots for corn hole boards and we usually just plan by the week. Buying passes in a lot for that many vehicles gets expensive. We are early birds and usually arrive by 6am most game days.

Would love to hear some experiences on some good cash lots near lots of foot traffic and GameDay action.
Call Home and commercial Rental agencies,they got property everywhere. They will tell you what's available..most rental houses in area do parking.. I paid 20 last yr off 17th street.

Reactions: Volfan1000

We really enjoy the top level of Locust Street Garage ($20 cash). It's above Pete's Restaurant. Open air and concrete. Rarely full, plenty of space to spread out. 8 tenths of a mile to the stadium (through World's Fair Park). One block from Market Square (which is one cool place on Saturdays), and 2 blocks from Gay Street (multiple restaurants, sports bars, and The Mast General Store). Leaving is one left turn out of the garage, one right turn on Cumberland, another right turn on Henley and ready to get on the interstate in 1/4 mile.

We really enjoy the top level of Locust Street Garage ($20 cash). It's above Pete's Restaurant. Open air and concrete. Rarely full, plenty of space to spread out. 8 tenths of a mile to the stadium (through World's Fair Park). One block from Market Square (which is one cool place on Saturdays), and 2 blocks from Gay Street (multiple restaurants, sports bars, and The Mast General Store). Leaving is one left turn out of the garage, one right turn on Cumberland, another right turn on Henley and ready to get on the interstate in 1/4 mile.
I've been doing State Street garage for years. Another 1/4 mile further away, but free.. Fills up though. Just the other side of Gay Street

Great info!! Thank you!! I was thinking locust was a permit garage. Is that not the case?

Anybody sat in terrace section? What was your general thoughts?

I normally try and get in the large lot on Clinch and James Agee…can be expensive (200$ for Alabama last year) but great location and lots of room especially if you get there early

UTAD also sells annual passes for Locust and they take precedence. There were games last year when Locust reached its capacity for the $20 drive up rate and only annual pass holders were admitted after a certain point.

Like hotels, with the increased attendance parking is becoming scarcier.

We have been at the Methodist Church on the corner of Church St for several years
Fills up fast, but it is a great group there. The Church uses the money to fund their youth group for the whole year. They also open up one side for the restrooms, which is nice.

There is a gravel lot if you turn up 20th street off of Cumberland. Go up a couple of blocks and look for the gravel lot on your left. You’ll see someone or some signs for parking and it’s overflow for ETCH. We parked several cars there last year for the Bama game, got there early and picked our spots. A bit of a walk to the stadium but they were very accommodating and we had a pretty big tailgate going on. All the new development surrounding the University has really diminished the available parking for tailgates around campus. It’s a shame.

One warning for the garages downtown, the clearance height for vehicles can be pretty dicey. I have the need to take a full size van in for work from time to time and it used to scrape in certain areas so if you have a trailer or a higher lifted truck, make sure you check that before you commit to setting up there and not be able to fit your gear.

UTAD also sells annual passes for Locust and they take precedence. There were games last year when Locust reached its capacity for the $20 drive up rate and only annual pass holders were admitted after a certain point.

We went to every home game. Parked at Locust every time. Never any problems getting in.

Great info!! Thank you!! I was thinking locust was a permit garage. Is that not the case?

The University sells it as part of the Football Game Day parking permits, but it's no problem driving up and paying the $20 dollars. We've never had any issues getting in.

I tailgate at the UT Medical Center Tent at the Humanities Plaza. I am not sure how much it costs to reserve a spot there. It is not a traditional "tailgate" as no vehicles are allowed there but it is a great place to grab some Calhouns and a cold beer.

Does Locust Street provide porta-johns?? We park down the street but using the restroom is an issue.

UT sells maybe 50% capacity for Locust Street Garage. The remainder is for drive ups. We've never had any issues getting in........

We've also been doing the Methodist church I'm guessing for about 6 years, since the demise of the strip. It is easy to enter and exit and a short distance to the stadium.
Not anymore unless you buy a pass off of someone. They require a season pass this season from Church now that's sold out.

I normally try and get in the large lot on Clinch and James Agee…can be expensive (200$ for Alabama last year) but great location and lots of room especially if you get there early
What time can you get into that lot on game day, what is early in your experience? How is it getting out after the games?

Speaking of game day and tailgaiting I am still tempted to purchase land across the river. The pedestrian bridge (I will attach picture) did not get the 25 million grant the city was expecting but the city believes it will get funding and it will still be built. Due to the uncertainty surrounding the federal grant money disappearing the land values have dropped some. There is .84 acre lot just north of Fort Dickerson Park for 65k. A buddy of mine and I are looking at purchasing it as that side of the river will sky rocket if the bridge get's built.

1024_Hero.jpg

Reactions: bigorange
My son and I went to two games in the last 3 years. B-day tickets to me. We didn't tailgate where we parked because we fully intended to eat at Gus' Deli. But, coming off 40/75 we turned right into a grave lot and paid $10 ?? Maybe a place like Goodwill or something not far south of 17th St. Parking lot of big building on corner of 17th and Grand Ave. Basically, at the interstate almost.Pretty good uphill trek to the stadium. 15 minute walk. Had some invites to G10 to hang out before game after Gus'. But we mostly just roamed around. Plus, on the way back, 17th Street Market was a great rest stop for smoked wings that went into the deep fryer upon ordering. 2nd time we were somewhere near Locust area in a small lot. Prob about same walk, but not all uphill.

Don't own any tailgating gear and it always seemed cool but was invited by this older guy once when I went solo to a game. Never again. The dude spent every bit of 20 minutes talking about hot dogs, but he called them wieners every time. He went over how awesome they are in design, taste, history, and durability. Then proceeded to open the grill to check on the chicken wings. To this day, I don't know WTH was going on.

Reactions: LadyVolette
Don't own any tailgating gear and it always seemed cool but was invited by this older guy once when I went solo to a game. Never again. The dude spent every bit of 20 minutes talking about hot dogs, but he called them wieners every time. He went over how awesome they are in design, taste, history, and durability. Then proceeded to open the grill to check on the chicken wings. To this day, I don't know WTH was going on.
That sounds like the worst tailgate ever...lol

VN Store

Back