Nebraska

Nebraska is a tough job. Of the 20 or so "blue blood" jobs, it's the most difficult to recruit to. Very little in-state of regional talent. And the Big 10 states don't produce much talent either outside of Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland, which are the furthest away states. Moving to the Big 10 was a trade-off: more money and an easier conference schedule, but worse recruiting.

Frost is a good coach, but that is not easy job. I honestly think winning a national title might be easier at UCF at this point in time.

If it's because you are glad we got Pruitt, that's not my argument.
If it's because you don't think Mullen is a good coach LOL

yeah, I think Mullen’s a good coach, but not great. Didn’t show much in my opinion at Miss St.

I wouldn’t trade Mullen for Pruitt. Pruitt will end up getting the best of them. Mullen came in to a team loaded with athletes that fit his style of offense and not a bad defense. We are winning with Pruitts Freshman.

I don't disagree, but Mullen is a heck of a coach and to think otherwise is not looking at his performance in his career. I'm not sure Mullen will get them to the promise land or not. I think Pruitt may end up being a better coach than him and I like the way he is building the team, but currently Mullen'a record says he is the better coach.

The florida fans are posting all those same threads about mullen on their boards. I watched both games that Florida lost, and I think Florida is good. Not great, but good. They ought to be cautious about how they get from good to "not good". That could go either way.

Hard to recruit at Nebraska....Nothing to do in that town and its cold 10 months out of the year.....Monte Kiffin said it best "All they have in Nebraska is corn fields and a football team"..Great tradition but just not a prime location to spend 4 years anymore...I feel their pain.

Hard to recruit at Nebraska....Nothing to do in that town and its cold 10 months out of the year.....Monte Kiffin said it best "All they have in Nebraska is corn fields and a football team"..Great tradition but just not a prime location to spend 4 years anymore...I feel their pain.
It's always been difficult to recruit to and has never been a prime location. A lot of people attribute Nebraska's success in the 80s and 90s to having a bonafide, professional S&C program before a lot of other programs did. Also steroids. They always had gigantic, extremely strong offensive lines that they ran that triple option behind and huge/powerful defensive fronts. Over time, those competitive advantages have been taken away (everyone has a highly organized S&C program now). Aspects of the competitive landscape have changed and Nebraska hasn't been able to keep up, largely because they aren't located in a talent-rich area.

Nebraska's biggest challenge today, IMO isn't the poor location or lack of in-state talent (that's always been the case and hasn't changed). It's that they are a bad fit in their own conference. Nebraska has always had to recruit nationally, but in their Big 12 days they got a lot of kids from Texas. Today, kids from Texas don't want to play in the Big Ten, and kids in Big Ten country (Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc.) don't want to go to Nebraska.

Reactions: VOLnMiami
Yep. They fired Solich and UT did the same to Fulmer. From an outsider's perspective, it doesn't make any sense.
Nebraska's firing of Solich was much more questionable than our firing of Fulmer.

When we fired Fulmer, at least he had 2 losing seasons within a 4-year stretch and had fallen badly behind Florida and Georgia in recruiting. He was a decade removed from his last conference title and 8 years removed from his last top 10 finish. I get why outsiders questioned it, but the program had undoubtedly slipped.

Nebraska fired Solich after a 9-3 season, 2 years removed from an 11-win season and top 10 finish, and just 5 years removed from a conference title. They cut him loose because a couple late-season losses to K-State and Colorado cost them Big 12 titles. They fired Bo Pelini after going 67-27 and being a consistent top 25 team. When we fired Dooley and Butch, at least it had been demonstrably proven that they sucked.

Reactions: tbwhhs
They fired Frank Solich and ended up hiring Bill Callahan. Yikes.
That was such a curious hire when they made it. He had always been more of a pro coach (last college job he held was in 1994) and had zero connection at all to Nebraska or the Big 12.

Amazing fact about Solich from Wiki:
Solich's 58 wins during his first six seasons as Nebraska's head coach exceeded those of his predecessors, Bob Devaney (53 wins) and Osborne (55 wins), both of whom are in the College Football Hall of Fame.[2] But Solich won only one Big 12 North title and conference championship in six seasons and had a 1–9 record on the road against ranked teams (0–9 in conference play), and the team had a drop-off in offensive production.

VN Store

Back