NCAA upcoming restrictions

I'm not sure a school a "dirty" transfer has picked up has been dinged by the NCAA unless they knew the player was "dirty."

Again, with the portal, the NCAA itself could've prevented those players from being eligible and didn't....... then they want to punish a team for something the NCAA let happen?

I'm not in.

The inbound School probably asked and the player probably answered NO. Asked and answered not the fault of the inbound school if they were lied t in the process....

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
The inbound School probably asked and the player probably answered NO. Asked and answered not the fault of the inbound school if they were lied t in the process....
That's how I see it. TN was still doing their own investigation well into the season and NCAA was right there.

If the NCAA knew players took money and didn't yank players from the portal as ineligible, expecting a second school to investigate and complete an investigation before the NCAA and TN......is nuts.

Reactions: Bigorangedan23
SayUwantareVOLution,Using your theory/logic,then Tennessee cannot be punished at all because the players here now we're not involved and neither were these coaches of our Vols.If they let Bama,Okla.,andA&M off,they have to let our UT people go!

Reactions: ER Vol
SayUwantareVOLution,Using your theory/logic,then Tennessee cannot be punished at all because the players here now we're not involved and neither were these coaches of our Vols.If they let Bama,Okla.,andA&M off,they have to let our UT people go!
Not really. Lack of institutional control. The institution is responsible for the actions of its employees.

This thread right here should put into clear perspective as to why we seem to be “struggling in recruiting.” Nobody knows if or when the NCAA is going to do anything. They may do nothing. Then again they may lower the boom. They may wait 5 years. Or they could act in 3 months. You don’t think this is being used against us in recruiting?

Reactions: I4Vols and Raebo
That makes no sense. UT hired and apparently had in place an institutional recruiting setup which paid players. We fired 3 coaches with cause and an entire recruiting staff.

It was widespread and couldn't have been unknown to a number of employees who were fired later. That's the definition of lack of institutional control.

That's in no way like talking players from the portal that the NCAA allowed to be in the portal. The school isn't responsible for doing months of investigation to be sure a player didn't cheat at their last school. Don't be absurd.

UT had an ongoing cheating situation which multiple people knew about and didn't report.

That's absolutely nothing like grabbing players from the portal.

So yes this is my first thread, but posted on here for a while. I have been out of the loop for a bit, so forgive if someone has already covered this topic.

I was talking to my LSU colleague and we came up with a theory about the NCAA restrictions and UT. UT came out with self imposed penalties, which did not include a post season bowl ban. The reason being that the players who would have been ruled ineligible has already transferred and by implementing a bowl we would be punishing players not involved in the said bad actions. So what that means is that Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma took said players as part of their program. Since all those players have been in every game if they are ruled ineligible as players, then those schools must forfeit every game those players participated in.

Do you really think that the NCAA is going to void the season of Alabama, T A&M and Oklahoma? So I don't think we will get anything beyond what has already been done by UT. Would love to know what you all think.

Also a huge thanks to @London Vol for all the encouragement through my ordeal (and also his posts, he is straight up a really good dude).
All 3 of those programs have been hammered before

This thread right here should put into clear perspective as to why we seem to be “struggling in recruiting.” Nobody knows if or when the NCAA is going to do anything. They may do nothing. Then again they may lower the boom. They may wait 5 years. Or they could act in 3 months. You don’t think this is being used against us in recruiting?
I think it is and I think Danny White has done everything he can to get it to this point. The NCAA can dangle this out for another year.

Honestly, I thought we'd self impose a bowl ban this year as another bone to the NCAA so they'd hopefully leave our scholarships alone. I'd rather take a bowl ding than scholarships/recruiting visits as punishment.

Obviously, we've no idea if White and Heupel have been told: here's the deal, you get negative recruited on this again this year...... and we'll ding you a few visits and a fine.

I'm certain the NCAA knows this hurts recruiting and I'm hoping they're using that rather than full scholarship cuts. But who knows.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
So yes this is my first thread, but posted on here for a while. I have been out of the loop for a bit, so forgive if someone has already covered this topic.

I was talking to my LSU colleague and we came up with a theory about the NCAA restrictions and UT. UT came out with self imposed penalties, which did not include a post season bowl ban. The reason being that the players who would have been ruled ineligible has already transferred and by implementing a bowl we would be punishing players not involved in the said bad actions. So what that means is that Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma took said players as part of their program. Since all those players have been in every game if they are ruled ineligible as players, then those schools must forfeit every game those players participated in.

Do you really think that the NCAA is going to void the season of Alabama, T A&M and Oklahoma? So I don't think we will get anything beyond what has already been done by UT. Would love to know what you all think.

Also a huge thanks to @London Vol for all the encouragement through my ordeal (and also his posts, he is straight up a really good dude).
I don’t know about Lincoln Riley or Jimbo, but I have to give Saban more credit. I don’t think he would bring in a player, especially a LB, if he thought it could/would potentially hurt his program.
Then again, everyone claims Saban has the powers that be, in his back pocket, so who knows?🤷‍♂️
GBO!!

thats-not-how-it-works-nope.gif

NCAA doesn't have any power

I wouldn't say they have no power, some people clearly think they do have power (the king has power as long as the people believe he has power) and schools are still doing the work for them i.e. self-imposed penalties.... but in reality its gone.

If a kid gets a dozen Chargers for signing with a school on signing day, and a Charger for each TD scored... not sure what the NCAA would do. I can say they can expect the lawsuit and the lower court looking at the new Supreme Court decision and enjoining the NCAA from taking action, if they decided to take action.

Reactions: majinVol
These schools took our transfers and can claim they had no proof the player(s) did anything wrong at UT. They can claim they didn’t know if they don’t ask. Therefore, they can’t be punished after the fact.

These schools took our transfers and can claim they had no proof the player(s) did anything wrong at UT. They can claim they didn’t know if they don’t ask. Therefore, they can’t be punished after the fact.

You know all these other schools were well aware of why these guys were transferring and at least did some vetting of the situation. Could have checked with their compliance folks and was told, maybe as you say, just act stupid and go forward. Can't believe Saban would have taken Toto without some kind of checking. He would have too much to lose to play him.

"...that Alabama, Texas A&M and Oklahoma took said players as part of their program. Since all those players have been in every game if they are ruled ineligible as players, then those schools must forfeit every game those players participated in."

Is this true?

A simple phone call to the NCAA to ask if any of the players were involved in the investigation would have been all it took. Claiming ignorance will not work. The OP is actually on the right track. If the players named did in fact play at Alabama, Oklahoma, A&M and North Carolina and Tennessee is punished that would make those other teams equally as guilty of playing ineligible players.

A simple phone call to the NCAA to ask if any of the players were involved in the investigation would have been all it took. Claiming ignorance will not work. The OP is actually on the right track. If the players named did in fact play at Alabama, Oklahoma, A&M and North Carolina and Tennessee is punished that would make those other teams equally as guilty of playing ineligible players.
Ryan and the guys already covered this a while back on the podcast so yeah it is that simple and they can and did get away with it. As long as they don’t pay them to play themselves, they are in the clear.

Reactions: ER Vol
You know all these other schools were well aware of why these guys were transferring and at least did some vetting of the situation. Could have checked with their compliance folks and was told, maybe as you say, just act stupid and go forward. Can't believe Saban would have taken Toto without some kind of checking. He would have too much to lose to play him.
Of course Saban knew just like Riley and the others. The key is they didnt get it on the record. As I said to another poster, Ryan and the guys covered this on a podcast already and they are in the clear.

Its 2021, and soon 2022... where all that doesn't matter.

VN Store

Back