NCAA Tournament cancelled

It would actually be very easy. You just create a one-time exception for seniors who want to return for 1 more year and allow teams to carry scholarship players up to the normal limit plus the amount of seniors they rostered the prior year. All seniors plus this year's juniors would be gone before the 2021 class arrives, so it hurts no one except possibly the playing time of some incoming freshmen.
So do you allow some schools to play with 17-18 scholarship players against a team with 7-8?

So do you allow some schools to play with 17-18 scholarship players against a team with 7-8?

Yes. It's still 5 on 5 on the court. Also, what's stopping that team from signing 4-5 more players to get to at least 12? With the exception of a crazy amount of injuries, what schools are even running only 7 players?

It would actually be very easy. You just create a one-time exception for seniors who want to return for 1 more year and allow teams to carry scholarship players up to the normal limit plus the amount of seniors they rostered the prior year. All seniors plus this year's juniors would be gone before the 2021 class arrives, so it hurts no one except possibly the playing time of some incoming freshmen.
I have to ask then, why just give an extra year of eligibility to seniors? If the argument is that this season essentially shouldn't have counted, should we just grant an extra year of eligibility to all athletes, regardless of current class? I mean, it stinks for a senior to go out like this, but any 4-year player will have had 1 of their 4 seasons cut short, whether it was their senior year or freshman year.

I have to ask then, why just give an extra year of eligibility to seniors? If the argument is that this season essentially shouldn't have counted, should we just grant an extra year of eligibility to all athletes, regardless of current class? I mean, it stinks for a senior to go out like this, but any 4-year player will have had 1 of their 4 seasons cut short, whether it was their senior year or freshman year.

That's a pretty fair question, and there's at least some validity to the argument for all players. Unfortunately, you have to draw the line somewhere. Drawing it at seniors makes the most sense as you could argue they are the most harmed. Giving everyone a bonus year would have a ripple effect for years. Basketball will be a rather tough one, but it wouldn't be surprising if every participant in spring sports gets an automatic redshirt. That alone might limit scholarship opportunities for the classes of 2021 and 2022.

Yes. It's still 5 on 5 on the court. Also, what's stopping that team from signing 4-5 more players to get to at least 12? With the exception of a crazy amount of injuries, what schools are even running only 7 players?

There’s an advantage to having more scholarship players, and you want teams to add 4-5 more kids right now with recruiting essentially prohibited? Interesting.

We had quite a few games we only ran 7-8?

That's a pretty fair question, and there's at least some validity to the argument for all players. Unfortunately, you have to draw the line somewhere. Drawing it at seniors makes the most sense as you could argue they are the most harmed. Giving everyone a bonus year would have a ripple effect for years. Basketball will be a rather tough one, but it wouldn't be surprising if every participant in spring sports gets an automatic redshirt. That alone might limit scholarship opportunities for the classes of 2021 and 2022.
I think spring sports definitely have a better case than basketball

Hate it for ETSU. Best regular season ever. 30 wins. And that's it. Seems like they could've waited a little longer before deciding to cancel it

Agree but I think when KU and Duke said they were out it was almost decided for them. I still think they should have gone with the empty arena plan and pushed it back 2 weeks.

The men and women's College World Series are the ones I think they really were premature on. Those aren't until June and yeah missing 3 weeks would have screwed things up but seems like they could have made something work. I really hate that since Tennessee baseball was doing very well.

Agree but I think when KU and Duke said they were out it was almost decided for them. I still think they should have gone with the empty arena plan and pushed it back 2 weeks.

The men and women's College World Series are the ones I think they really were premature on. Those aren't until June and yeah missing 3 weeks would have screwed things up but seems like they could have made something work. I really hate that since Tennessee baseball was doing very well.

I’m in favor of shutting things down but yeah the NCAA overreacted with the World Series’ being closed

There’s an advantage to having more scholarship players, and you want teams to add 4-5 more kids right now with recruiting essentially prohibited? Interesting.

We had quite a few games we only ran 7-8?

We had a few games with a rotation of 7, but I don't recall having any games with only 7 guys available. If it happened, it certainly wasn't for anywhere near the full season.

It's 2020. There are a ton of ways to contact recruits without having to see them in person. I'd say the vast majority of current recruiting is done remotely attending games and in-home visits.

We had a few games with a rotation of 7, but I don't recall having any games with only 7 guys available. If it happened, it certainly wasn't for anywhere near the full season.

It's 2020. There are a ton of ways to contact recruits without having to see them in person. I'd say the vast majority of current recruiting is done remotely attending games and in-home visits.

Visits have been prohibited, on and off campus, how many recruits have committed to schools without face to face contact or visiting a campus?

So Dr Fauci just recommended that the arenas be empty but teams should still play. Then some idiot in the NBA gets the Rona and all sports get shut down. Smh

Hate it for ETSU. Best regular season ever. 30 wins. And that's it. Seems like they could've waited a little longer before deciding to cancel it

They shoulda just postponed it a month and if the situation wasn't sussed out by then
...do what you have to. The whole cancel thing is outta control for some of these events. It's only logical to postpone as long as you can then cancel if you finally have to.

Reactions: vols 30
Visits have been prohibited, on and off campus, how many recruits have committed to schools without face to face contact or visiting a campus?

You're treating this as business as usual. It isn't. This is an absolutely unprecedented situation, so referencing how many recruits have committed without visits in the past is irrelevant. The NCAA has already announced additional years for spring sports. Simple workarounds are all that's needed to make it work for basketball.

You're treating this as business as usual. It isn't. This is an absolutely unprecedented situation, so referencing how many recruits have committed without visits in the past is irrelevant. The NCAA has already announced additional years for spring sports. Simple workarounds are all that's needed to make it work for basketball.

My thought is these recruits likely will commit to schools they’ve already seen, you think they’re more likely to go to schools they’ve never seen?

Actually it's not unprecedented. At least 5 other occasions in our history where seasons were suspended or interrupted.

Silver Lining
Could help slow down the current flu epedemic in some states. 85 already dead in Ky with over 20,000 cases since start of flu season.

Last edited:
If it's any consolation, there's a chance the Lady Vols would have missed the tournament for the first time ever. Also means Geno won't win another.

On the men's side, means Rick didn't miss the tourney this year, which can also be spun as a positive

I don't think the Lady Vols were going to mis the tourney but I didn't expect them to last long either.

I do agree that if something like this was going to happen on the men's side then clearly we are not expecting much this year.

You serious?

Lady Vols 21-10, 10-6 in the best conference, zero bad losses.....they were in.

and Geno wasn’t winning crap this year. SC or Oregon most likely winner.

Lady Vols were very likely in, but Charlie Creme was skeptical.

Geno wasn't winning it most likely, but an injury or something could have been a game changer. I definitely agree though that it would have been Oregon and South Carolina in the end.

VN Store

Back