NCAA releases first step in getting back to competition

If there isn’t college football in the fall, there will be MASSIVE riots and pushback, in all aspects.

Riots? Anyone who would get violent over the inability to watch a game needs a long stay in a mental hospital.

dangggg you’re right. We lose more Americans than we did in Vietnam with the flu most years too, and to cancer, and heart disease, and smoking, and some times vehicle accidents. Why don’t we shut the world down for that stuff too?
People can help protect themselves from flu simply by thaking the vaccine. About half of the population choose not to get the vaccine. One can not protect people from being stupid. Cancer and hearth disease do not have vaccines; there is a HPV vaccine cervical cancer, and it is n recommended for all children before puberty. Smoking is a self inflected death habit and alcohol is involved in more than 50 percent of automobile deaths. If and when there is a treatment and or vaccine for this virus, most of the deaths will be prevented if the public is wise enough to take proper precautions.

Reactions: mercuryvol
We knew exactly who exposed us since we were one of the first cases in Arkansas. It was a couple who had just returned from a ski trip in Colorado which ended up being one of the hot spots for corona. BTW - when they exposed us, they had no symptoms. This couple ended up being in the group of survivors who met with Trump a few weeks ago. The contact tracing the health department did with us was explicitly to see who we might have exposed unknowingly before we had symptoms. Educate yourself instead of sounding like a tin foil hat wearing uninformed hillbilly

No kidding man. Literally everything this guy says makes me roll my eyes.

Killed more than What? "This v has already killed more people than we last in Vietnam". I'm having a tough time here. But let me add, The CDC is listing COV as the COD in cases where there was NO EVIDENCE of the Virus. So we don't really know the truth. Do a search if you don't believe it. Read the CDC directive.
Since this is a novel virus, no epidemiological data had been collected when the pandemic outbreak started. Data are still being collected and much has been learned, but much more needs to be learned. Data such as , can an effective vaccine be developed, how long will antibodies protect a recovered patient if, when will an effective treatment be developed, etc,? Data are the truth The COD was listed when blood from the deaths were stuied to determine if the had been infected. Many of those deaths were originally classified as Flu deaths. I am a retired CDC National Immunization Program employee and I do keep up to date every day. You seem to be interested enough to get new and important information. You are way ahead with your iformation than most who post on here. Thanks for your interest.

I’m not going to waste my time linking articles that you’ll only argue with instead of read. My question for you is - what’s your solution? Quarantine for 2 years?
Bearded vol says
raw

Since this is a novel virus, no epidemiological data had been collected when the pandemic outbreak started. Data are still being collected and much has been learned, but much more needs to be learned. Data such as , can an effective vaccine be developed, how long will antibodies protect a recovered patient if, when will an effective treatment be developed, etc,? Data are the truth The COD was listed when blood from the deaths were stuied to determine if the had been infected. Many of those deaths were originally classified as Flu deaths. I am a retired CDC National Immunization Program employee and I do keep up to date every day. You seem to be interested enough to get new and important information. You are way ahead with your iformation than most who post on here. Thanks for your interest.

An effective vaccine will not be made available in the near future, I think we can all agree on that. So what’s your recommendation? Stay at home for 2 years minimum? Again, you can’t let the cure be worse than the disease. People are going to have assume SOME risk moving forward. This is going to be with us for a while, and we can take some steps to protect the most vulnerable but destroying the economy is not an option anymore

Reactions: 508mikey
dangggg you’re right. We lose more Americans than we did in Vietnam with the flu most years too, and to cancer, and heart disease, and smoking, and some times vehicle accidents. Why don’t we shut the world down for that stuff too?

I'm sure you think your argument makes sense but I am here to tell you, it does not.

Reactions: FBtime
I’m not going to waste my time linking articles that you’ll only argue with instead of read. My question for you is - what’s your solution? Quarantine for 2 years?

So you can't be bothered to even link these studies that you claim support your assertions, but you want me to go into detail on a solution for world-spanning pandemic?

An effective vaccine will not be made available in the near future, I think we can all agree on that. So what’s your recommendation? Stay at home for 2 years minimum? Again, you can’t let the cure be worse than the disease. People are going to have assume SOME risk moving forward. This is going to be with us for a while, and we can take some steps to protect the most vulnerable but destroying the economy is not an option anymore
We are in a “test” phase starting now. Within the next 4 weeks, we should have enough new data to indicate if we can continue the opening up or if we made a mistake. We will also have more dat to see which portions of the population are more at risk to some of the sequelae, conditions which follow diseases, of this virus. We now know that the young adults are developing blood clots and heart disease. Children are developing poor circulation in their feet. We still are unsure of other problems that may appear. What we do depends on, what more we learn from the virus, if an effective vaccine can be developed for children young adults and us old adults. In short, we are still very early in studying the epidemiology of the disease. This Winter, we will likely have better data on the efficiency of any vaccine which should have been thoughtless tested in all age groups, how much the virus has mutated, and if any treatment are effective. We will also have data on how the reopening which is now progressing will alter disease incidence. One then will have better data to more accurately evaluate lives lost vs economic impact. I am concerned that opening beaches, allowing sports to pact 100,000 fans into stadiums, and crowding airports without at least wearing masks will result in a more serious outbreak this Fall compared to what we have seen this Winter and Spring.

You think comparing the deaths from covid to the deaths from Vietnam DOES make sense?
Yes it does. The difference is, the Vietnam deaths were a result of political action/ inaction by politicians on both sides of aisle @nd could have been prevented. Deaths from this virus and lasting problems associated with it is is caused by nature and humans dismissing the virus as something that will pass with time. We have proven that isolation is affecting the spread of the virus in the absence of a vaccine or a treatment..

So you can't be bothered to even link these studies that you claim support your assertions, but you want me to go into detail on a solution for world-spanning pandemic?

Somebody else on the thread already referenced one independent study.

Oh, and “world-spanning pandemic” is redundant

Yes it does. The difference is, the Vietnam deaths were a result of political action/ inaction by politicians on both sides of aisle @nd could have been prevented. Deaths from this virus and lasting problems associated with it is is caused by nature and humans dismissing the virus as something that will pass with time. We have proven that isolation is affecting the spread of the virus in the absence of a vaccine or a treatment..

There were close to 60k deaths from the flu in 17/18...are THOSE the fault of inaction from politicians?

Somebody else on the thread already referenced one independent study.

Oh, and “world-spanning pandemic” is redundant

'Pandemic' is used to describe an illness that affects an entire country as well, not just one that affects the entire world. So no, it's not actually redundant.

Which post on the thread contains links to the data that supports the assertion that 20-30% of the population already has covid 19 antibodies.

You think comparing the deaths from covid to the deaths from Vietnam DOES make sense?
who were they fighting over there ? Were they forced to go there and fight ? -- Id compare that more to the politics of this lockdown

There were close to 60k deaths from the flu in 17/18...are THOSE the fault of inaction from politicians?
I don’t think so, but I was not around then. Assuming you mean the H1N1 outbreak in 1917-1919. At that time there were no vaccines except for Smallpox and maybe diphtheria. It too was a novel virus about which nothing was known. Epidemiological analyses of disease patterns were not refined. WWI was occurring and even medical students were joining tha armed forces to fight @against the Germans. Can’t compare the two outbreaks for many reasons, except that that outbreak killed millions Worldwide. You also have to realize that we’re no antibodies available to treat pneumonia, the real killer of that flu strain.

I don’t think so, but I was not around then. Assuming you mean the H1N1 outbreak in 1917-1919. At that time there were no vaccines except for Smallpox and maybe diphtheria. It too was a novel virus about which nothing was known. Epidemiological analyses of disease patterns were not refined. WWI was occurring and even medical students were joining tha armed forces to fight @against the Germans. Can’t compare the two outbreaks for many reasons, except that that outbreak killed millions Worldwide. You also have to realize that we’re no antibodies available to treat pneumonia, the real killer of that flu strain.

No dude...in 2017/2018

Estimated Influenza Illnesses, Medical visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths in the United States — 2017–2018 influenza season | CDC

'Pandemic' is used to describe an illness that affects an entire country as well, not just one that affects the entire world. So no, it's not actually redundant.

Which post on the thread contains links to the data that supports the assertion that 20-30% of the population already has covid 19 antibodies.

From livescience.com

21E46659-867E-4511-B1F8-453C936FF41F.jpeg
I’m having trouble linking it but it’s there is you want to read it

From livescience.com

View attachment 276453
I’m having trouble linking it but it’s there is you want to read it

So 1/5 people in New York City is now representative of the US population as a whole? That's your reasoning that 20-30% of the population, must have been infected as well, because ~25% of those tested in the east coast epicenter of the US infection, means the rest of the US follows suit? You do realize that would be a minimum of 65,000,000 infections in the United States at the moment right? Are you at all familiar with sampling/selection bias in statistical modeling?

Reactions: mercuryvol and Jaws
Need a creative way to get beer 🍺 to my mouth without lifting my mask 100 times! GBO!!

Yep. And need a creative way to wear a mask in 100-degree heat in September in the Southeastern part of the United States without a) suffocating, b) dehydrating because they’re reluctant to lift mask to drink water.

Reactions: TJVol95
So 1/5 people in New York City is now representative of the US population as a whole? That's your reasoning that 20-30% of the population, must have been infected as well, because ~25% of those tested in the east coast epicenter of the US infection, means the rest of the US follows suit? You do realize that would be a minimum of 65,000,000 infections in the United States at the moment right? Are you at all familiar with sampling/selection bias in statistical modeling?

You asked for a reference and I gave you one. I’m losing track of what your point is other than to just argue with whatever I post. I’m advocating for allowing people to resume some semblance of normal life with protections for the most vulnerable due to the vast majority of cases of COVID-19 being mild to symptomless and a significant (arguable I guess) % of people who have already had the virus and have antibodies (Which I will concede offer protection for an unknown length of time). Your advocating for......I’m still waiting for that.

VN Store

Back