NCAA Gonna Lose

The court's remedy might actually be that the player have a right to take money from what are basically booster driven orgs but the NCAA also has a right to rescind their membership.

Boy, wouldn’t that be a kick in the nuts. Either a large group would cede from the NCAA or another lawsuit would come next.

Boy, wouldn’t that be a kick in the nuts. Either a large group would cede from the NCAA or another lawsuit would come next.
Imo, big changes are coming either way and the long game is this current filing won't do much more than speed things up. This week, the NRLB ruled that Dartmouth, yes Dartmouth, BB players were employees and have a right to unionize even though Ivy league schools are about as close to true student athletes as it gets.

The union claims Dartmouth made 40K in total profits off the men's BB team and Dartmouth claimed they lose 100s of thousands annually on the B ball program. I think we all are going to have to realize the current legal and political climate is going to turn the big revenue college sports into a NFL type model complete with a players union, negotiated salary caps and unlimited endorsement opportunities. I'm guessing that will consist of around 60 schools that produce enough revenue to play the game and the have nots will end up with nothing more than club level sports or something that resembles Jr. college level sports.

I’m sorry but you have to be incredibly dumb to think Saban considers Tennessee more than his morning bowel movement.
No I’m not incredibly dumb, but you are incredibly rude.

I’m sorry but you have to be incredibly intelligent to somehow know what things Saban considers more or less of than his morning bowel movement. Has he shared those private thoughts with you?
It is common knowledge that Saban wanted Nico very bad, but no I can’t say for sure it caused him any bowel movement issues, guess you would know the answer to that.

Reactions: SobeVol
Round 1 to the NCAA.
No. The judge basically said that the order wasn't needed. If the judge is saying that the plaintiffs are likely to succeed, then that means that the NCAA is highly likely to lose the case. Federal judges rarely say something like that unless they are very certain of outcome.

Also, I was listening to Tyler and Will yesterday and they had a lawyer on. He had read the brief and said that in one place the Tennessee AG had said "The NCAA thinks it knows Tennessee law better than the state AG". You don't say something like that unless you think you have it in the bag.

Georgia QB's reported purchase makes NCAA's investigation into Nico Iamaleava's NIL deal seem even more absurd

Selective enforcement is blatant and it's across sports and not just in football. We've seen it in hoops and in baseball, too. It's akin to the cops arresting someone for jaywalking but allowing murder to go with nary a glance. No, the power leagues in football just need to get the hell out from under the NCAA. We don't need them. We don't want them. Just get away from that bunch.

Last edited:
Selective enforcement is blatant and it's across sports and not just in football. We've seen it in hoops and in baseball, too. It's akin to the cops arresting someone for jaywalking but allowing murder to go with nary a glance. No, the power leagues in football just need to get the hell out from under the NCAA. We don't need them. We don't want them. Just get away from that bunch.
So you are saying the NCAA is trying to mirror our current justice system?

Yes, due to the fact that there are anti trust laws and anti trust exemptions that have been granted, this is going to be an interesting few months. Additionally, since the current mood of the court is the NCAA is now more of a multi billion dollar business rather than simply schools giving poor kids a shot at an education, the dynamics of the original exemptions may not apply.

Having said that, even though an organization may not have the ability to arbitrarily restrict activities that don't directly affect their product, they still may have the ability to enforce rules agreed upon by the voluntary members.

I actually think Tenn will prevail due to some of the issues mentioned but I've also seen courts surprise everyone with different rulings. Yes, Spyre has a right to collect money and award it to whomever they see fit in any legal manner they see fit. However, that doesn't mean it's a slam dunk private orgs can't regulate legal activities as a condition of membership. The court's remedy might actually be that the player have a right to take money from what are basically booster driven orgs but the NCAA also has a right to rescind their membership.
The NCAA doesn't have an anti-trust exemption. Based on their horrific exploitation of athletes, they are unlikely to get one, ever.

This reeks of Nick Saban tampering. NIL is what drove him out of the business. Mark Emmert, former NCAA president that just recently retired, is his best bud.

Call it tin-foil theory, etc. But, I smell a rat!
Oh I thought that from the beginning.

Vol Family, I'm no one but this BS is dog and pony. I just dont see anyway this is a issue! We have many collectives, Universities, and tall voices speaking on our on and they're own behaves. I sleep good and wake giggling at the NCAA drowning for attention.....

RIP NCAA

GBO

Just out of curiosity, what does that withered old fool Finebaum think about this?

Ive thought this was a possibility from the start.... for 2 reasons. He wanted Nico badly and the NIL situation was one reason he retired.
Don’t forget we were soooo competitive with Bama during his time there. Of course his last move out the door would be burning us.

If you think that other coaches won't use this against us, I have some beach front property in Nevada for sale! 🤪 Even AP (Who has been pretty positive about our situation) said on the "Locked on Vols" show that opposing coaches definitely will use this against us, and Eric Cain, Rob Lewis and Brent Hubbs agreed! I'm hopeful that it won't happen, but I'm not naive.

This is why UT needs to explore the possibility of some sort of follow-on litigation related to defamation that gets after the NCAA’s efforts to make up for their own incompetence at Tennessee’s expense. At this point, a blood vendetta against those fools is justified.

So now that the NCAA lost Round 1, what happens next?

Do they give up, lick their wounds and formally withdraw their "investigation"? Probably not.

Do they suspend their investigation and let their bad press blow over before formally ending it? Maybe.

Do they put their investigation in a spin cycle and come out with different "charges" of wrong-doing against our Vols? Maybe.

All in all, I think the NCAA would be wise to tuck tail and GTFO while they still exist. If they continue to fight us over NIL, I suspect they will eventually get steamrolled by the court system *and* accumulate so much animosity that we (and others) simply create a new system.

So now that the NCAA lost Round 1, what happens next?

Do they give up, lick their wounds and formally withdraw their "investigation"? Probably not.

Do they suspend their investigation and let their bad press blow over before formally ending it? Maybe.

Do they put their investigation in a spin cycle and come out with different "charges" of wrong-doing against our Vols? Maybe.

All in all, I think the NCAA would be wise to tuck tail and GTFO while they still exist. If they continue to fight us over NIL, I suspect they will eventually get steamrolled by the court system *and* accumulate so much animosity that we (and others) simply create a new system.
For the NCAA's future, I don't think what they do to follow up the injury action matters.

They are facing many lawsuits with new one hitting almost daily. They don't have enough lawyers to defend them all, let alone win.

The are trying to get a very unpopular federal antitrust exemption in an election year. Non starter.

The SEC and BIG are exploring options that include leaving the NCAA.

The football playoffs are already out of their control.

The judge has said that Tennessee is likely to win the case at trial based on the merits.

They are losing in every front. That is unlikely to change.

Worst of all, the NCAA has stated that now they're going to go after administrators and coaches. That's a thinly veiled threat against Plowman, White, and Heupel.

Last edited:
Reactions: MontyPython

VN Store

Back